Influx of new readers

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

Influx of new readers

Postby WG_Writer » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:00 am

My fics are mostly not updated these days (although I am poking at fixing that) but I think the new Sailor Moon show is starting to get new people to ff.net, as my story Beautiful Magical Girl Civil War has gotten two new reviews in about 24-48 hours of each other. my other stories have not gotten any as yet. This might be the start of a new trend.

Has anyone noticed more reviews/readers? (reader wise it seems level with my history, but that could be old readers not rereading)
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Re: Influx of new readers

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:08 am

WG_Writer wrote:My fics are mostly not updated these days (although I am poking at fixing that) but I think the new Sailor Moon show is starting to get new people to ff.net, as my story Beautiful Magical Girl Civil War has gotten two new reviews in about 24-48 hours of each other. my other stories have not gotten any as yet. This might be the start of a new trend.

Has anyone noticed more reviews/readers? (reader wise it seems level with my history, but that could be old readers not rereading)

I actually noticed yesterday and last night that your story had gotten multiple reviews, though I did not bother reading them... I monitor for stories using the RSS/ATOM feed system on FF.NET, not the email alert system. The advantage is feeds get updated upon reviews being left as well as story content.

I'm not surprised, it was to be expected.

I'm not really the least bit interested in the new series though. I still have all 5 seasons, the 5 specials and 3 movies though an d my episode notes I did as part of my research from years ago.

One thing that has always fascinated me about Sailor Moon (the original series) though, is its failure to grab its target audience. And yes, I realize how silly that sounds. But over the years I have had that series, I've loaned it out multiple times. Mostly to coworkers with daughters in the under 12 and early teen age brackets, even a few relatives with cousins and 2nd cousins in that same bracket... With out fail, none in the age bracket have liked it enough to want to see past about 1 dvd... the most fascinating one to have liked it, that amused me to no end, was a retired grandmother whom loved watching it, and I loaned her a disc at a time.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:42 pm

With out fail, none in the age bracket have liked it enough to want to see past about 1 dvd...

From what i´ve read, it has its most fans among girls in the 15-30 and males in the 25-40 ages. Outside of Japan that is. So while it may be considered or meant as classic shoujo, that´s not where it picks up fans.

So, totally not surprised by your observation. It can also make quite a difference being able to watch it without dub...
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:05 pm

Spica75 wrote:From what i´ve read, it has its most fans among girls in the 15-30 and males in the 25-40 ages. Outside of Japan that is. So while it may be considered or meant as classic shoujo, that´s not where it picks up fans.

So, totally not surprised by your observation. It can also make quite a difference being able to watch it without dub...

Shrugs, I meant the actual intended and targeted age group. I have not known any girls of the latter teens whom have ever wanted to see it, so cannot comment either way on that group.

My 1st season copy is dub. I assumed anyone in that intended age group I gave it to would not have wanted it sub in any case. My copy is odd, as while I have it all, it is not all same source. My Season 1-2 are ADV/DIC DVD release. My season 3-4 and 3 movie DVD set is the Pioneer DVD release. My season 5 is/was a Canadian Fansub VCD set. My specials are downloaded. To my knowledge, season 5 and specials were never made available in the U.S., at least as of my last check.

On the other hand, one girl I work with was a fan back when she was a teen, long before I knew her... currently she is upper 20's
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon