What makes Usagi the 'purest' of them all?

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

What makes Usagi the 'purest' of them all?

Postby SailorStar9 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:12 pm

In episode 102, it has been stated that Usagi is the most pure of all her friends, why is that so? And don't say that's because she's the main character! I mean all the other senshi have done things that were as pure, if not more than Usagi.

Let's see...

Ami: Has a heart of gold, is sweet and caring to anyone, passed a great opportunity to study in a different country just because of loyalty to all her friends, is brave and whenever someone she loves is in trouble she stands up for them.

Rei: Sacrificed herself twice for Usagi, got extremely mad and protective when Yuichiro and her grandfather where attacked by Koan, forgave Koan from her previous life and counsel her to make a new life and start learning loving herself.

Makoto: Saved Usagi from a group of thugs without even knowing her, putting herself at risk to defend Ami from bullies, cheers up Rei in the episode when Yuuichiro is targeted by the Death Busters, and sacrificed her life twice for Usagi.

Minako: Is an overall protective, caring, accepting, loyal and good natured person who will endanger herself to protect Usagi and all of her other friends.

And why is Usagi the purest? What action made her stand out from the other 4 girls so much?
Chibi-Chibi: Chibi-Chibi

I still say Sailor Moon's Chibi-Chibi is a lost Pokemon. (Tosses Dusk Ball)

On infidelity: The Pot has not just met the Kettle, they are getting jiggy on the top of the stove.
SailorStar9
Senshi Candidate

Re: What makes Usagi the 'purest' of them all?

Postby Konsaki » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:49 am

In episode 102, it has been stated that Usagi is the most pure of all her friends
Is this the official English dub or sub? If it is, it might have been originally 'most holy' or 'most powerful' and was translated wrong or changed in the script to suit company policy on religion, etc.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Woolseyism
- Changes in script for the better

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Macekre
- Changes in script for the worse
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Cheb » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:00 am

In cases like this you have to research the original Japanese soundtrack, there's no other way to get reliable results.

Hint: in the original it's complicated by gratituous English, like "pure no kokoro"
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:35 pm

Perhaps because impure thoughts never cross her mind... due to the fact that she's an airhead and it's rare for any thoughts at all to make the trip!
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Tovath » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:34 pm

lwf58 wrote:Perhaps because impure thoughts never cross her mind... due to the fact that she's an airhead and it's rare for any thoughts at all to make the trip!

I am really thinking this one is true. :D
“Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”
-Hanlon's Razor

"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much."
-Oscar Wilde

Senshi of Puck
Tovath
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:07 pm

That would not account for her spying on her friends at points... I do not consider spying on friends overly 'pure'.

Certainly not pure of thoughts, considering all her dreams of Mamoru.

Certainly not pure of heart, considering how jealous she got when Rei was dating the guy.

Certainly not pure of mind, considering her grades.

While I will grant, she can purify others, considering she can launch among other tings 9ft or so pink hearts and hitting them with it changes their evil ways.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:06 am

Certainly not pure of thoughts, considering all her dreams of Mamoru.

Why would that be "impure"? It´s a statement based on the manufactured prejudice of modern/"recent" christianity, and how much relevance does that have in Japan, or in regards to the background of the series?

Certainly not pure of heart, considering how jealous she got when Rei was dating the guy.

Considering how she is most of the time, that´s debatable.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:24 pm

How about in biological terms? Since I believe we have exhausted the mental side of this subject.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:15 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:How about in biological terms? Since I believe we have exhausted the mental side of this subject.

Pure compared to the others biologically? 'how' exactly?

She's 13 (well, at the start she is)... I seriously doubt most of the others have all that much 'experience' in matters of impure acts either ingesting narcotics of whatever form or in matters of the bedroom.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:30 pm

Like, genetically, for instance. We know not who Usagi's father is, or if she even had one, so what if she had been created/produced and has less issues on that front -- if any left at all -- after whatever process she might have gone through?

Or, what about the kind of power and abilities at her disposal? What if whatever "fuels" her, or whatever processes that fuel, is why her output is so much better?

Stuff like that.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:59 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:Like, genetically, for instance. We know not who Usagi's father is, or if she even had one, so what if she had been created/produced and has less issues on that front -- if any left at all -- after whatever process she might have gone through?

Careful with that, I would not be prepared to think well of anyone bringing any genetic purity or superiority into the argument. A master or improved race lie some of the darkest moments in human history backed by whom were deemed madman.

In the anime in her current incarnation she certainly does have a father. He is shown multiple times. Now, we were never specifically told he was her genetic father, nor were we told her mother was her genetic mother.

Considering Sailor moon takes place in early 90's, the inners would have had to have been born around 80-81. The very first in the world for IVF was 1977, and the results and methods back then did not screen for as much as later techniques. Liekwise, the first test tube baby was 1978... so that process was also in its infancy.

In either case, I would bet several organizations would have kept their eyes on such individuals to see how long term they held up, mentally and physically. Since they would be watched and monitored, they would make for a poor candidate for a senshi.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:11 pm

...I couldn't really follow you. I'm talking about Silver Millennium technology or magic at work, not what exists in the twentieth century. This is because Usagi looks the same as she did in her previous life, so we can't say for certain that she just happened to look the same with parents who just happened to have the traits that could allow the possibility. Which of the two possibilities would be the greater coincidence, and -- thus -- less likely: she was reincarnated with her prior genetics intact, or she just happened to be born by parents who had a very small chance of producing the exact same result by chance? (Even if the parents were chosen for the prior purpose, in a way and timing that ensures the same genetic result (more or less), it would be little different than the result of the first case.)

And I see nothing wrong with selecting desired genetic traits, so long as it remains on a personal level rather than as a belief that makes certain traits mandatory within a group of people. Also, I was referring to such things that make people prone to -- or guaranteed to get -- various diseases and such, or likely to pass them on to the next generation, because they begin at the genetic level. Basically, purity would be the equivalent of one's physical health, is what I mean.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:59 pm

Well, the question that seems to have been missed here is: 'Pure what?'

Pure hunger/greed? That's pure of heart!
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Cheb » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:11 am

, so we can't say for certain that she just happened to look the same with parents who just happened to have the traits that could allow the possibility.

Magic is *scary*, I tell you. Twisting probabilities, bending the very laws of nature towards a certain purpose... Brrr! >_<

Well, the question that seems to have been missed here is: 'Pure what?'

Hmmm, I don't know. Having no desire to build her happiness at the cost of others? (several anime-only childish tantrums aside) Not a trace of desire to shit on other people's heads to feel great?
That's pure enough for me. Enough to want her as a dictator of Earth (considering that might makes right and all that).
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:34 am

Hmmm, I don't know. Having no desire to build her happiness at the cost of others? (several anime-only childish tantrums aside) Not a trace of desire to shit on other people's heads to feel great?

Probably.

And I see nothing wrong with selecting desired genetic traits, so long as it remains on a personal level rather than as a belief that makes certain traits mandatory within a group of people. Also, I was referring to such things that make people prone to -- or guaranteed to get -- various diseases and such, or likely to pass them on to the next generation, because they begin at the genetic level. Basically, purity would be the equivalent of one's physical health, is what I mean.

Eeek, Mesan Alignment supporter! :wink:
(just kidding)

she was reincarnated with her prior genetics intact, or she just happened to be born by parents who had a very small chance of producing the exact same result by chance? (Even if the parents were chosen for the prior purpose, in a way and timing that ensures the same genetic result (more or less), it would be little different than the result of the first case.)

Or the reincarnation mechanics picked the first "body to become" that was VERY close to original genetics.

She's 13 (well, at the start she is)...

I thought she was 14 at start? Every source i know off says so at least...
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Next

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon