Genma, Soun, Shogi and cheating; Fanon or canon?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Genma, Soun, Shogi and cheating; Fanon or canon?

Postby Pata Hikari » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:21 pm

A common scene in fanfics is Genma and Soun playing Shogi. Typically the two are also cheating like mad, to the point where it's often more like it's a contest to see who can cheat better.

However, I can't remember ever reading a scene like this in the manga. Did it appear in the anime at any point? Or is this Ranma Fanon #8272?
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Re: Genma, Soun, Shogi and cheating; Fanon or canon?

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:01 pm

I don't recall if this happened in the manga or the anime (I'm leaning toward the anime, though), and have no idea where to look for it (so I'm disinclined to do that much digging), but I distinctly remember one of them "cheating" so hard when the other was looking away that only one of their opponent's pieces remained on the board, surrounded by all of their pieces, which isn't even trying to be discreet about it.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:55 pm

I THINK i have seen it in the anime...

but I distinctly remember one of them "cheating" so hard when the other was looking away that only one of their opponent's pieces remained on the board, surrounded by all of their pieces, which isn't even trying to be discreet about it.

Yeah, something completely outrageous...
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:14 am

I can't say if it happens in the manga - I've picked up the Viz re-release double-packs 1-22 so far, but I haven't actually sat down and read them cover to cover yet - but I know I've seen it in the anime. The first time it's in a fairly early season episode, and ironically it's Soun who's cheating; when Genma places down a tile that puts Soun in a bad position, he distracts Genma and then stuffs Genma's tile into his mouth, prompting Genma to complain about "another one being gone". There's also a filler episode - series 5 episode 15 "Shogi Showdown" - that revolves around Genma ticking off a Battle Shogi practitioner by cheating him.

It doesn't happen very often, but it is genuinely a minor gag, much like Shampoo's running Ranma over in the manga.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Ranma