Who is more responsible for ryoga’s curse

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Who is more responsible for ryoga’s curse

Postby toushin » Sun May 24, 2015 11:37 am

People might disagree but Ryoga’s curse is his own fault, Ranma shares responsibility but the blame lays entirely on Ryoga’s shoulders. He was the one who issued a challenge over bread (and this was before we found out that Ranma would help Ryoga to and from school everyday), he was the one who ran off, he was the one who was four days late, he was the one who followed Ranma into an incredibly dangerous and unknown. Keep in mine he blamed Ranma long before he even knew that it was Ranma who knocked him in.

Ryoga is perfectly aware of this you’ll notice that Ryoga was only murderously angry until he found out that the red haired girl was Ranma. Blaming Ranma was his way of absolving his own guilt over his actions. Once he found out that Ranma did knock him into the spring that guilt went away and he stopped wanting Ranma dead and became the rival. A lot of Ryoga’s more darker moments start like this with him doing something stupid and impulses the yoiko hibiki incident, the love rod. This is why Ryoga seems to excel in dark fics as he is forced to realize that the world doesn’t revolve around him something both fics addressed. This knowledge makes DT (with the exception of Ranma’s characterization) a far more enjoyable read.

However Spica75 feels that it is more the other way around that Ryoga is responsible but Ranma is to blame what do you think
toushin
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: Who is more responsible for ryoga’s curse

Postby Spica75 » Sun May 24, 2015 3:55 pm

However Spica75 feels that it is more the other way around that Ryoga is responsible but Ranma is to blame what do you think

Eh, say what?

This is why Ryoga seems to excel in dark fics as he is forced to realize that the world doesn’t revolve around him something both fics addressed.

Which fics?
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sun May 24, 2015 5:39 pm

I remember a very long argument about this some years ago... I don't quite remember my stance then, but I'm sure it's at least a bit different now.

My take on it now is that neither were at fault. The incident was simply too coincidental and accidental for either to assume any more blame/responsibility than the other. Ryoga has a bad sense of direction, yet just happened to be at Jusenkyo when Ranma was, when he can't even get to an empty lot near his house until a span of days have passed. He just happened to be near a cliff above the springs when Genma appears. Ryoga just happened to choose to jump upward to avoid him, instead of going in another direction, or actually trying to hit the animal away. Ranma just happened to choose to jump over the bamboo instead of run through it like his father had (who could have jumped it as well), and it's doubtful that he would have seen Ryoga beforehand. They, of course, just happen to meet in midair. Ranma just happened to be so angry that he didn't seem to notice Ryoga even despite the collision. While it's unclear if this happened in the manga, it's clearly shown in the anime that Ryoga isn't sent beyond the cliff, but lands safely; it just so happened that the cliff was unstable where he had placed his hand, which collapsed under his weight and made him fall.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:01 am

Personally, I argue that neither of them is really to blame for it. If there's anyone who deserves blame, it's Genma; as far as we know, he's the one who took Ranma away from that bread duel after three days, he took Ranma to Jusenkyo, and Ranma was chasing him in a blind fury when A: Ryoga was forced to leap into the air to avoid being trampled by the panda, and B: Ranma slammed into Ryoga. Even then, as Crescent points out, it depends on the medium, with the anime clearly showing it was just Ryoga's bad luck that the cliff-face happened to crumble under his hand and pitch him in; if it had held up, Ryoga wouldn't have gotten cursed.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:24 pm

Noone is truly responsible.

If someone has to be picked however, then the closest to "responsible" becomes Ryoga himself.
It was his actions that had him delay so much that Ranma was gone when he finally arrived, and it was his active CHOICE to get angry and try to follow.

True blame can only really be cast on bad luck however.

If there's anyone who deserves blame, it's Genma

Genma is obviously to blame for Ranma´s curse, but in regards to Ryoga, it´s much harder to outright blame him specifically for it, he doesn´t actually DO anything to cause it, that isn´t at the same time something Ryoga also actively does.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Ranma