The Bitter End Syndrome

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Re: The Bitter End Syndrome

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:33 pm

slickrcbd wrote:I apologize for missing the point.
Although I should point out that while I wholeheartedly agree that blaming the victim makes no sense, I was on the receiving end of that for five years around 20 years ago and many people in charge of discipline in schools wholeheartedly believe in that. I can only think that they rationalize it that it's not five troublemakers conspiring, it's just one troublemaker "playing victim" and thus it's easier to go after the one person than five and makes the school less likely to look like they have a bullying problem. Thus they put the onus on the victim to stop the incidents from happening, and wash their hands of it.

I don't know if that is true, I'm drawing conclusions from the fact that when a group of students had singled out a student for constant harassment and generally only went for their preferred target, the school assigned the blame on the victim and put the onus on him to stop the incidents of violence that resulted even when the victim never threw the first punch.

Oh, I believe this with every fiber of my soul. The authorities almost always go after the innocent and the victim -- they don't put up nearly as much of a fight.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:43 pm

Probably because they have something in common with the actual troublemakers, too.

Cheb wrote:Yeah, she was demolishing cookies, her eyes glued to the screen with a sick fascination.
The next moment Ranma suddenly *groped* her.
It was very funny.
At her expense.
It is always at someone's expense. :roll:
I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch over what happens to fictional characters. The event mentioned wasn't meant to be taken seriously, so I'm not going to.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:43 am

One could see this as her having a secret kink for being manhandled

More likely, as a horror story addict. This is how I interpret it.
Didn't Ranma tell her she has a sick imagination after she imagined Kunou date-raping Ranma?
The sound effect alone (especially in the Japanese original) is all wavy and bristling with spikes, "oh the horror" or how was it?

so I'm not going to.

I did not mean to. See pic (far) above. :mrgreen:
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:50 am

Cheb wrote:More likely, as a horror story addict. This is how I interpret it.
Didn't Ranma tell her she has a sick imagination after she imagined Kunou date-raping Ranma?
The sound effect alone (especially in the Japanese original) is all wavy and bristling with spikes, "oh the horror" or how was it?

It was the "habit for watching bodice-rippers at best" part that the joke was drawn from, since it'd be an unlikely coincidence if every horror she watched also included that element, which could elude to the aforementioned kink. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the "horror" show was a drama, or a drama and horror, since that's a (stereo)typical thing for a girl to watch.

...And the success of things like Twilight and Forty Shades of Grey makes me think that many girls and women are really... Maybe I shouldn't apply any adjectives so I don't step on any landmines from the Knights of [add descriptive title for their cause here]. That's just what I'd need.

I did not mean to. See pic (far) above. :mrgreen:

I know you didn't, but neither did I. D:
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Pata Hikari » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:54 pm

Cheb wrote:Yeah, she was demolishing cookies, her eyes glued to the screen with a sick fascination.
The next moment Ranma suddenly *groped* her.
It was very funny.
At her expense.
It is always at someone's expense. :roll:

It was!

Then Akane got out the Kendo armor and started shooting arrows at Ranma. Which, is, you know, also hilarious.
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:10 pm

Pata Hikari wrote:Then Akane got out the Kendo armor and started shooting arrows at Ranma. Which, is, you know, also hilarious.

Obvious reference time! (It's just a music video. Don't watch if you're allergic to the eighties.)
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Specific Series: Ranma