Would you say that Nabiki...

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Re: Would you say that Nabiki...

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:06 am

Spica75 wrote:And how common is it being able to generate cold ki? Which is what the soul of ice actually does.

As common as it is possible for someone to be "cool" emotionally. There's no indication that anything beyond that must be added to create cold ki; the ki will change with emotions. Temperature-wise, we see the hotter side quite often, such as when someone is angry. Emotions can even affect the nature of ki in other ways, like making it heavy or light.

And obviously, ANYONE can do that?

Possibly. We know nothing of any prerequisites needed for the technique in question, which isn't helped by what little we know about ki. But, the instruction on how to learn it said that anyone could do it, and it never mentioned anything about needing this or that first. Considering it's Ranma 1/2, and Ranma was able to do a shishi hokodan accidentally and not understand how he did, I'm willing to believe that it could be that easy. When you think about it, useful things that come with a price commonly are.

Really? Thing is, level of difficulty alone may not matter, because if you don´t know how to do something right you may never be able to do it even if it´s easy.

I agree. But that's assuming the conditions are thus, rather than more favorable, and your argument seems to be a generalization rather than focused on the things relevant to Ranma 1/2.

I´ve spent years training martial arts...

I know what you're saying, and I won't argue it, but its relevance is limited within this context. There's a lot that we don't know about the characters in Ranma 1/2, what they do, and the requirements for doing said things. The stuff that makes sense in real life can also apply to this particular series, but only to an extent. It's not just the rules of the universe or the missing information that's an issue, but dealing with things that aren't accounted for in real life, which we can't presume to hold to the same standards as we would ourselves.

To make this short and to the point, all I'm saying is that these techniques and training methods are within the realm of possibility, though not overly far for many of the characters in question. I'm just not assuming that they definitely lack any of the knowledge, guidance, instruction (personal or otherwise), resources, help or drive/desire required to learn these things. Considering the knowledge and skills of the cast of characters, and the kind of stuff people sell, give, have lying around, drop/lose or teach, the potential and possibilities of one of these characters finding their way to learning one of the techniques in question is quite apparent.

Also, consider the happo goen satsu that Hinako uses. It's possible in this universe to teach/bestow an ability of that magnitude to a little girl. All it took was a month of exercises and pressure points being prodded.

Some? Hell yes.

And how much of that estimation relies on filling in blanks/making assumptions? Also, are you approaching it indiscriminately, or pairing techniques with characters who might actually want to learn it? For instance, a technique like the moko takabisha might be fitting for Nabiki, but the bakusai tenketsu probably wouldn't be. At least, I find it hard to imagine that she would be willing to collide with objects and working her way up to a big boulder. Who really knows, though.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Specific Series: Ranma