If Akane applied makeup...

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

If Akane applied makeup...

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:04 am

...Would she end up looking like a clown? I was wondering since I can't recall her ever using makeup, and she can be rather... self-assured about her efforts.
Crescent Pulsar S
User avatar
Cosmic Power Senshi
Posts: 6406
 

Re: If Akane applied makeup...

Postby Dumbledork » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:37 am

That's pretty much a given. She has no talent at all when it comes to things that require at least a bit of finesse or common sense. You can see it in her clothes too. She has a horrible fashion sense.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
User avatar
Prism Power Senshi
Posts: 3341
 

Re: If Akane applied makeup...

Postby LawOhki » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:13 am

...Would she end up looking like a clown? I was wondering since I can't recall her ever using makeup, and she can be rather... self-assured about her efforts.

Probably not, if she did have a problem with that Ranma probably would have added that to he repertoire of insults. Or it would have been used for a Nodoka arc or two.

Dumbledork wrote:That's pretty much a given. She has no talent at all when it comes to things that require at least a bit of finesse or common sense. You can see it in her clothes too. She has a horrible fashion sense.

I always thought she had a good fashion sense for the era. Certainly good enough that Nabiki steals her clothing and definitely not any worse than the others. She does get relegated to the school uniform a lot and doesn't get to have the big flashy outfits Ranma-chan will, so it's easy to forget that she wears other things.
LawOhki
User avatar
Moon Senshi
Posts: 1586
 

Re: If Akane applied makeup...

Postby Spica75 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:42 am

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:...Would she end up looking like a clown? I was wondering since I can't recall her ever using makeup, and she can be rather... self-assured about her efforts.


Probably not, but in the right situation i wouldn´t completely discount the possibility.
She seems intent, intentionally or not, to stick with a somewhat modest outlook, meaning that she would probably use only a little makeup, mostly precluding the risk of doing a "clownface".
Spica75
User avatar
Moon Senshi
Posts: 1975
 

Re: If Akane applied makeup...

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:42 pm

I only wondered since Akane can have a... way of looking at reality. Like when she "fixed" the ceiling, or her reasoning ability when it came to swimming. Personally, I wouldn't expect her entire face to be a battlefield of color, but a contained mess and/or garish should be in the ballpark.

LawOhki wrote:Probably not, if she did have a problem with that Ranma probably would have added that to he repertoire of insults. Or it would have been used for a Nodoka arc or two.

I don't know about that. Maybe Takahashi never explored it because she thought that it was too silly, or not something that would be funny.

Was makeup ever used -- or shown with the intent to use it -- outside of that wishing sword story? That's the only time that I can recall.
Crescent Pulsar S
User avatar
Cosmic Power Senshi
Posts: 6406
 

Re: If Akane applied makeup...

Postby Cheb » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:39 am

...Would she end up looking like a clown?

the manga version, probably wouldn't
But ir reality... It depends. If she was distracted, or motivated or annoyed enough... She could.

You can see it in her clothes too.

Her clothes are fine. Use manga for reference as anime creators had to simplify it a lot (for obvious reasons, duh) including the controversial stunt with making a casual dress by painting the school uniform acid pink (an ingenious solution: they could correct the plot on the fly even when the animation contours were already drawn, by only changing the paint and the background).
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
User avatar
Moon Senshi
Posts: 1394
 

Re: If Akane applied makeup...

Postby Pata Hikari » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:54 pm

And this thread is a prime example of how fanon and character bashing and plain old ignorance infest the Ranma fandom to the point of absolute insanity. This question should never have been asked, because the answer is obvious if you actually read Ranma 1/2 and make observations about Akane's character.

Dumbledork wrote:You can see it in her clothes too. She has a horrible fashion sense.

I'm not even going to dignify the rest of the idiocy in this post with a responce.

But really?

ImageImageImageImage

Akane is one of the best dressed characters in the comic. A lot of her outfits are real world fashion labels from the time Ranma 1/2 is written.
Image
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet
Posts: 127
 

Re: If Akane applied makeup...

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:39 pm

Pata Hikari wrote:And this thread is a prime example of how fanon and character bashing and plain old ignorance infest the Ranma fandom to the point of absolute insanity. This question should never have been asked, because the answer is obvious if you actually read Ranma 1/2 and make observations about Akane's character.

Okay. Let's break this nonsense down. I'm going to assume that "this thread", even though the only participant that you showed a disagreement with was Dumbledork, includes my "unnecessary" question, since the thread wouldn't be here without it, so...

fanon

...Where? I don't recall using fanon as any part of my reasoning. I don't see what it has at all to do with what inspired the question to be asked. I think using canon examples as a basis for the question, to find out rather than assume what the answer would be, is an understandable and legitimate course of action.

character bashing

How is this question a form of character bashing, or spawned from something created by character bashing? You can't point to observable, canon character traits or events and use them as a basis for a question to get someone else's opinion?

ignorance

This is the only part of what you said that's at all relevant. After all, I did have to ask if Akane was ever shown to use makeup. However, using illustrations outside of the context of any canon event and pointing out her fashion sense does not say anything definitively about that. (And considering how many separate items of clothing Takahashi makes her go through in the series, I'd be surprised if she actually had space for it all.) You could argue that her inability to judge what a good ceiling or sewing job looks like isn't indicative of her skills with makeup, but the same can be argued about her choice in attire as well. And, the fact is, the series is rife with characters who act and behave in ways that make no sense.

So, yeah. I think there's plenty of room for this question to be asked. How your assertion applies to the thread as a whole I'll simply leave in the realm of opinion and/or hyperbole.

Anyway, I hope you got enough mileage out of your soapbox. ;/
Crescent Pulsar S
User avatar
Cosmic Power Senshi
Posts: 6406
 

Re: If Akane applied makeup...

Postby Pata Hikari » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:42 pm

Fanon, Character Bashing, and ignorance are all connected in Ranma 1/2, especially when it comes to Akane.

Pretty much the entirety of the fanon about Akane comes from fanfiction bashing her.

Fanon Akane can't ever do anything right but is deluded that she is flawless, which is where your question came from. Assuming that Akane would, naturally, fail at anything she tried.

You can't point to observable, canon character traits or events and use them as a basis for a question to get someone else's opinion?


If you were doing this you never would have asked the question.

An "observable canon character trait" for Akane is that she's a really well dressed person, with a wide good looking wardrobe and a fashion sense. The idea that she'd be unable to put on makeup is absurd if you look at how she takes care of her personal appearance.
Image
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet
Posts: 127
 

Re: If Akane applied makeup...

Postby Spiral » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:05 pm

Just to chime in, but fanon does tend to exaggerate things about Akane.

Like, even in relatively benign ways. People seem to take Ranma calling her a tomboy a little more seriously than is meant to be. Because while she is interested in martial arts, she also is pretty feminine in her personality and way she dresses.
Spiral
Senshi Candidate
Posts: 15
 

Re: If Akane applied makeup...

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:51 pm

Spiral wrote:Just to chime in, but fanon does tend to exaggerate things about Akane.

Indeed it does. Among other things. Not all fanon is bad, but... Yeah. I, at least, could really do without most of it.

Pata Hikari wrote:Fanon, Character Bashing, and ignorance are all connected in Ranma 1/2, especially when it comes to Akane.

Pretty much the entirety of the fanon about Akane comes from fanfiction bashing her.

Fanon Akane can't ever do anything right but is deluded that she is flawless,

This is relevant... how? Unless it's a prelude for...

which is where your question came from. Assuming that Akane would, naturally, fail at anything she tried.

To put it simply: you're wrong. Not just about where my question came from, but also because you had the audacity to put up such an awfully-constructed straw man to make your argument. I mean, it makes perfect sense to ask someone else's opinion because I already knew the answer or came to my own judgement on the matter. That, indeed, I would believe that Akane would fail at anything she would try. Gosh! I totally forgot to tell everyone how bad Akane is at dressing herself! I'm so ashamed of myself for such an oversight, because that would have totally helped to make whatever case I was, well, making!

If you were doing this you never would have asked the question.

An "observable canon character trait" for Akane is that she's a really well dressed person, with a wide good looking wardrobe and a fashion sense. The idea that she'd be unable to put on makeup is absurd if you look at how she takes care of her personal appearance.

If you had paid better attention to what I said last time, you never would have made this response. Just because someone knows how to make themselves look presentable with clothes, that does not mean that they must have the same skill with makeup. In the real world such an assumption is more forgivable, seeing as most people would have the sense to go without makeup if it didn't hold up to one standard or another, but this is Ranma 1/2, and it's an undeniable fact that Akane is one among many characters who not only has a lot of nonsensical quirks, but has a tendency to pursue things with gusto and/or proudly claim things despite the perspective of other characters (which the reader is often meant to agree with, since they're more sound of mind in that particular instance) being at odds with how she sees things.

Facts are facts. If all I were doing was using facts to make Akane look bad, then there would be some grounds to worry about character bashing. But shame on me for looking at canon Akane and wondering if she would be bad at applying makeup and asking others what they thought, rather than just assuming the worst and not get anyone else's input, or do what you did and make the illogical assumption that someone who knows how to dress themselves must also know how to apply makeup well enough.

All you're doing is making this out to be something that's way more than it actually is. If I saw Akane applying makeup, I'd agree with whatever the results of it were. But I don't have that image, and I figured my curiosity and desire to find out one way or the other -- if it were possible -- wouldn't be a cause for grief. So much for being optimistic, I guess.
Crescent Pulsar S
User avatar
Cosmic Power Senshi
Posts: 6406
 

Re: If Akane applied makeup...

Postby Pata Hikari » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:This is relevant... how?

It's part of the entire pattern so much of the "fandom" has about Akane.

Look at the discussion about the series that comes up on this site and others. It's a consistent pattern of negativity around one character, Akane.

Overall good half of the Ranma 1/2 fandom has a completely wrong idea about the comic and the entire cast, with Akane having the worst of it.

Akane is always given the worst possible interpretation of her actions. Akane's positive traits are downplayed and ignored. Akane is held to a double standard. Akane has elaborate fake facts invented about her to make her look worse.

I said this thread is an example of this problem. It's absurd to think that a character consistently shown as well dressed and fashionable would be bad at putting on makeup, but because the fandom has so warped and vilified people's perceptions of this character somebody can unironically wonder if hey, maybe they're actually terrible at it?

Dumbledork's stupid comment is just the insanity taken to its ultimate extreme. I have no doubt they've never actually liked Ranma 1/2 because it's literally nothing like how they see the characters and story. They like "Ranma fanfic" a genre of web fiction that has little do do with the comic by Rumiko Takahashi.
Image
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet
Posts: 127
 

Re: If Akane applied makeup...

Postby Spiral » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:14 pm

There is indeed a lot unwarranted issues taken with Akane. I'm not gonna try to say she is some paragon of perfection, but she gets much more issue than is warranted.

Most of it is usually done for shipping purposes in order to push Ranma to another girl. I'm not saying that every fanfiction needs to go with the canon girl. I'd be lying if I said my own preferences line up perfectly with canon in every series I watch. But you don't need to needlessly bash a character to do a different pair.
Spiral
Senshi Candidate
Posts: 15
 

Re: If Akane applied makeup...

Postby Pata Hikari » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:59 pm

Spiral wrote:There is indeed a lot unwarranted issues taken with Akane. I'm not gonna try to say she is some paragon of perfection, but she gets much more issue than is warranted.

Most of it is usually done for shipping purposes in order to push Ranma to another girl. I'm not saying that every fanfiction needs to go with the canon girl. I'd be lying if I said my own preferences line up perfectly with canon in every series I watch. But you don't need to needlessly bash a character to do a different pair.


Frankly I'd love to see more fanfics that have Akane play a major role without pairing her up with Ranma.

Pair her with Shampoo.
Image
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet
Posts: 127
 

Re: If Akane applied makeup...

Postby Drawde » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:12 am

Part of the assumption that Akane might not be able to do makeup might be based on the canon fact that she can't do SOME feminine things correctly. Cooking and sewing are the two I can remember off the top of my head.

This, of course, ended up being exaggerated by fanon into her not being able to do anything right. Egged on by Ranma implying that to insult her occasionally.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi
Posts: 481
 

Next

Return to Specific Series: Ranma

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users