Genma or Nodoka

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Genma or Nodoka

Postby LawOhki » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:33 pm

Thanks to a comment by Konsaki I've been thinking about this. This isn't a question of who is the better parent or which you like more. But which parent do you think Ranma takes after more in terms of personality?
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Re: Genma or Nodoka

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:46 pm

I'd have to say Genma, which seems most apparent -- at least to me -- when it's either a matter of pride or being successful at something/the victor. A number of things that could be attributed to Nodoka could also be seen in Genma, but she's not the one who raised Ranma, so I give him precedence there. Other notable things about Nodoka either don't match up with him or -- to some degree or another -- deal less with personality and more with superficial/inconsequential things.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:16 am

In terms of personality, Genma definitely. And the truth is that Genma had much more chance to influence Ranma's personality during critical periods.

Ranma really only takes after Nodoka physically.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:27 am

LawOhki wrote:Thanks to a comment by Konsaki I've been thinking about this. This isn't a question of who is the better parent or which you like more. But which parent do you think Ranma takes after more in terms of personality?

I´ll have to go against the flow so far and say Nodoka.

Superficially, he may take after Genma more, but if you look at more defining parts?

What´s one of Ranma´s most defining traits? His honor. Genma pretty much doesn´t know the meaning of the word, while it is one of Nodoka´s blatantly defining traits(even if hers is a bit warped ).

Ranma is a very private person(to the point where it causes him problems due to not talking), Genma is only private about things he wants to keep secret, Nodoka is open if she needs to be(like Ranma).

Ranma and Nodoka are introverts, Genma isn´t.

I´m no good at descriptions like this so don´t take the above too literal.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:35 am

I think what you perceive to be superficial and defining characteristics to be very arguable. :P

Though one doesn't need to go there to address the issues at hand. For instance, Ranma's honor is really no less questionable than Genma's, and not so much in the way of there being different reasons; it's more a matter of degree, really, and not all necessarily less.

I think it's a stretch to say that Nodoka is a private person (especially if that conclusion hinges on living alone for more than a decade), and I'm really curious as to how you rationalized Ranma and Nodoka as being introverts.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby jasonjkay » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:11 pm

Id have to say Genma, After all they both insult people to get them to fight or stop them doing something they dont like. Both think with their stomachs, after all they both attacked the Amazons victory feast. Both will do almost anything for a cure however I believe Ranma has more restraint as he did blow up Toma's island to save Akane. Both Run away from their problems however Ranma at least tries to solve his however unsuccessfully.

The only time I can see Ranma as more like Nodoka is when he's hiding as Ranko and acting just like she believes her mother wants her too. However it's been years since I watched or read Ranma and my views have been mutated by fanfics.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:03 am

Genma. Not that Ranma likes it. It's in the blood, and the environment of being raised by him rubbed off at least soemwhat.
But only just, He takes after Nodoka as well. But still more in the number for Genma. That I can remember anyway.

Personality traits he and Genma share:

Self centered-ness
Love of food
Love of manipulating people
Refusal to admit fault/responsibility (never my fault syndrome.)
Stretching what rules are and what is really honorable

Now, granted for most of these Genma is far worse than Ranma is, and Ranma at least tries not to be like his father, but he is like him in these ways.

Now he does have traits shared with Nodoka but fewer

Valuing honor
Determination
Care for others' well being

Coincidentally they are the good traits. O_o

So it appears more that Ranma inherited Genma's bad habits while acquiring Nodoka's positive nature.
"Oh no! What haz happened? As you cats would say." Akane asked, horrified.

"Cats do not speak that way!" Luna yelled.

"Normal sucks."-Noy Telinú
Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:51 am

Love of manipulating people

LOVE? I mean, when he manipulates people, it´s usually in reaction to something, and not seldomly as a "i can´t think of anything else" quick fix.
Ie, i see that as being caused by the situation far more than personality.

Refusal to admit fault/responsibility (never my fault syndrome.)

Weell... How often IS it really and unconditionally HIS fault?

Aside from those i pretty much agree with you.

I think it's a stretch to say that Nodoka is a private person (especially if that conclusion hinges on living alone for more than a decade)

No it hinges on how she tends to keep her own business to herself unless necessary. Has zero to do with living alone(then it would be environmental/conditional, not personality).

and I'm really curious as to how you rationalized Ranma and Nodoka as being introverts.

Not a perfect description but i couldn´t think of something more accurate.

Example, could you imagine Ranma dragging any of the male cast in his age with him to a nightclub or a bar like Genma does with Soun? Ranma is more likely to choose a nice piece of roof to relax on.
And Nodoka seems to have spent those years living alone, literally living mostly ALONE. She doesn´t seek out social situations or company. Like Ranma, unlike Genma.

For instance, Ranma's honor is really no less questionable than Genma's, and not so much in the way of there being different reasons; it's more a matter of degree, really, and not all necessarily less.

The difference lies in that Ranma CARES about being honorable, Genma doesn´t.
Ranma may not be all that great at BEING honorable, but he WANTS to be on an instictive level.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:48 pm

Spica75 wrote:No it hinges on how she tends to keep her own business to herself unless necessary. Has zero to do with living alone(then it would be environmental/conditional, not personality).

That doesn't mean that Nodoka's introverted. And that's not entirely accurate, besides. There are quite a number of times where she not only has no problem inserting herself and getting involved in a situation, but may even do so with some amount of enthusiasm. She also doesn't seem to shy away from/avoid people, or go out of her way to be alone (as in, to actively ensure that it happens).

And Nodoka seems to have spent those years living alone, literally living mostly ALONE. She doesn´t seek out social situations or company. Like Ranma, unlike Genma.

That's a rather big assumption. We know next to nothing about her daily life and the activities therein. It's a big question mark that needn't be filled with whatever we like, unless you happen to be writing fan-fiction.

Unlike Genma? I don't see him seeking such things. At least, nothing comes to mind that really goes beyond the usual company. And Ranma is seen seeking out company and social situations. Whatever little he gets is probably more due to circumstance than personality, because he's fairly outgoing and isn't all that shy when dealing with people. Considering some of the problems he has with some people, it's little wonder why he would want some time alone, but that's not introversion either.

Example, could you imagine Ranma dragging any of the male cast in his age with him to a nightclub or a bar like Genma does with Soun? Ranma is more likely to choose a nice piece of roof to relax on.

Genma and Soun go to bars?

A nightclub would assume that such an activity interests him, so it's not a good example of why someone would or wouldn't be introverted. If it's something that Ranma actually likes, and he has friends with the same interest, I think it's possible for him to initiate an outing. Thing is, he hasn't many close acquaintances or friends, and plenty of the people he knows have a complicated relationship with him in some way or another, whether they belong to those categories or not.

I think the issue is more circumstantial, in that regard, than anything. After all, he has no problem going out of his way to help out perfect strangers, even when he has a choice and the situation becomes frustrating or infuriating.

The difference lies in that Ranma CARES about being honorable, Genma doesn´t.
Ranma may not be all that great at BEING honorable, but he WANTS to be on an instictive level.

No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. :P
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Ranma