Overuse of Cats' Tongue

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Overuse of Cats' Tongue

Postby WG_Writer » Thu May 16, 2013 7:56 pm

I have read a number of fics recently and (Nothing against any of them) but I have noticed a pattern, specifically the overuse of Cats' Tongue pressure point. A strong number of them, even good fics tend to use it, sometimes with Ranma voluntarily. Correct me if I am wrong but this pressure point only has the effect of making it painful to return with hot water. So why would Ranma need the pressure point to be 'locked' if its his idea?

It has reached a sort of crital stage for me atm, and while it will pass I find unnecessary use of this plot device a general turn off from these fics since it says to me that the one writing is using a plot device that is canon incorectly and in a way that says to me is generally poor planning. I will grant that these are potential chekhov's guns. However due to the apparent number that seems to be rampent in crossover fics atm since Ranma is now the fall back series that is being crossed instead of the main it feels like new writers just do not understand Ranma 1/2.

How do other's feel about this?
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Re: Overuse of Cats' Tongue

Postby Spica75 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:36 am

Correct me if I am wrong but this pressure point only has the effect of making it painful to return with hot water.

Makes it so painful that he CANT switch by using hot water. Even lukewarm water being painful. A few fics i´ve read has taken that to mean that if he gets splashed by warm water, he takes damage according to how painfully he feels it, ie BAD.

So why would Ranma need the pressure point to be 'locked' if its his idea?

If it´s some sort of insurance against himself switching back then sure, but it´s not a lock.

How do other's feel about this?

Anything can be overused. But something overused incorrectly, that is usually no fun at all.

I´m yet to see anyone use it the other way, by modifying so that the sensitivity also affects how warm water needs to be to make him change(ie if it feels scalding hot, then change, even if barely lukewarm).
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Overuse of Cats' Tongue

Postby LawOhki » Fri May 17, 2013 9:35 am

WG_Writer wrote:I have read a number of fics recently and (Nothing against any of them) but I have noticed a pattern, specifically the overuse of Cats' Tongue pressure point. A strong number of them, even good fics tend to use it, sometimes with Ranma voluntarily. Correct me if I am wrong but this pressure point only has the effect of making it painful to return with hot water. So why would Ranma need the pressure point to be 'locked' if its his idea?

I can't remember any story where Ranma voluntarily gets the cats tongue pressure point. The only time i have ever seen it used was in a negative way. Can you give any examples of this or why it's such a huge issue when it's not even that popular of a plot point?
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Ranma