Genma's Giri

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Genma's Giri

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:51 pm

This is a thread to list and explore the cannon obligations Genma Saotome has arranged for Ranma. Any cannon time Ranma has been sold, traded, or used as a scape goat. I'm a bit fuzzy on them but obvious ones would be like the fish, rice and 3 pickles or the Kuonji Yattai. Just how many of the incidents between the Anime and Manga are cannon? And what did Genma get for them? Just how is Ranma obligated? Is it marriage or was Ranma actually sold to someone?

Like I said I'm a bit fuzzy at the moment so I won't detail any of the scenes off the bat I just hope that this can become a good resource for making Fanfics and a place where these specific events can be debated.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Re: Genma's Giri

Postby LawOhki » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:07 pm

Manga is Ukyo for the cart as a dowry, initiated by Ukyo's father.

Then there's Akane with unspecified dowry or reasons.

Can't think of any other that Genma got into in the manga. And no to Picolet being another, only Soun was ever implicated in anyway to have made a deal.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:19 pm

Oh I forgot to point out this also includes any contracts Ranma would be responsible for like the Sepuku pledge. It was Genma's idea. Nodoka was even smashing the furnishings over Genma's head to get him to stop trying to take her baby from her so young.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:46 pm

Spokavriel wrote: Oh I forgot to point out this also includes any contracts Ranma would be responsible for like the Sepuku pledge. It was Genma's idea. Nodoka was even smashing the furnishings over Genma's head to get him to stop trying to take her baby from her so young.

*Legally*... I somewhat doubt Ranma would really be held accountable to that contract...

And for a mother whom was so against it... she sure as heck seems to want to hold him accountable to it no matter the cost...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:55 pm

Legally the second Genma made a second engagement his honor was tarnished to a point where none of his agreements are valid. Including the Tendo one in which case there is no Giri. Don't think we can have much of a discussion "Legally". Now if we keep with things that some character in series would hold Ranma responsible for, that Genma initiated, no matter the legality, then at least the possibilities exist.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:02 pm

Spokavriel wrote: Legally the second Genma made a second engagement his honor was tarnished to a point where none of his agreements are valid. Including the Tendo one in which case there is no Giri. Don't think we can have much of a discussion "Legally". Now if we keep with things that some character in series would hold Ranma responsible for, that Genma initiated, no matter the legality, then at least the possibilities exist.

Then you might as well be expecting every wrong by anyone in the series to fall back on Ranma himself rather than any other character... the simple fact of the matter is they all blame him for about everything.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:27 pm

But Genma isn't directly involved nor responsible for them all. Which is why I titled the thread with him because there are many many times fanfictions write him as doing something that makes the cat fist seem innocent and possibly even intelligent even with repeat tossings into the pit. And no I am not linking to the example that inspired this I hope no one ever finds and reads it.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:03 am

Off the top of my head and only using the manga for source:

Seppuku contract - allowed to take Ranma on training trip
Engagement to Ukyo - obtained Kounji Yattai
Engagement to Tendo Daughter - no definite thing obtained but gains room and board along with friendship from Soun

To my knowledge, Genma doesn't set up anything else for his son other than bringing him along for adventures and jobs.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Ranma