Ranma canon questions

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Ranma canon questions

Postby Dumbledork » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:40 pm

In almost every fanfic Ranma is wearing silk clothes. Is it ever mentioned in the manga/anime that his clothes are made of silk. Silk is extremely expensive and I can't imagine where he'd get the money to buy the stuff since the Saotomes are rather poor.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Ranma canon questions

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:46 pm

Seen it in a few scanlations but I don't know Japanese enough to read the original.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:14 pm

Hmm... It's puzzling, but then again, Ranma has a female clothes selection that is pretty expensive as well.

Perhaps the clothes were stolen to try to lose Shampoo towards the end? He wears the gi in every scene of him in China when there are flashbacks.

The red classic one I've seen in person. While I haven't felt it, it looks like silk. Could explain why it's damaged so easily. The orange one doesn't look to be silk however and didn't get destroyed even when knives were thrown into it, supporting female Ranma's weight.

And isn't that red one his favorite? It might prove that it's expensive silk.

But I've searched the wikis and things. I can't find anything that says what any of the clothes are made out of.
"Oh no! What haz happened? As you cats would say." Akane asked, horrified.

"Cats do not speak that way!" Luna yelled.

"Normal sucks."-Noy Telinú
Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:14 am

Genma: "Ranma! Why are you a girl?"

In a lot of fics Genma attacks Ranma physically or verbally whenever he's in female form. How often does Genma actually tell Ranma to switch back in the manga or anime.

Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:24 am

Its an easily provable fact that Genma changes Ranma into a girl more often than he comments on Ranma spending too long as one or insisting on switching back.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:35 pm

It's less that he insist on changing him back and more on berating him. "if you're going to act like a girl!" and splashing him.

Genma doesn't actually seem to mind that Ranma is female at certain points unless it's hindering something. Heck, he and Soun pushed Ranma to be a girl numerous times. Like finding Happy's scroll or running from Nodoka.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:29 am

Dumbledork wrote:In almost every fanfic Ranma is wearing silk clothes. Is it ever mentioned in the manga/anime that his clothes are made of silk. Silk is extremely expensive and I can't imagine where he'd get the money to buy the stuff since the Saotomes are rather poor.

We don't really know how poor the Saotomes are. They might not be that poor since they do own a house in Tokyo which was not their original house (Ranma's mom tells Ryu that the house they lived in was torn down), travel a lot (Ranma's mom does as well since we see Ranma and Genma bump into her on a trip), she had no trouble buying outfits for 'Ranko', eating out, going to the spa, and frankly Ranma wears expensive clothing often (|kimonos, tuxedo's, really expensive looking dresses, etc). Most of the evidence points to the Soatome's or at least Ranma's mom not being poor in general. This could be explained in a number of ways but I'm not going to really try to do so though the easiest explanation for the incongruities is that Genma is terrible with money whereas Ranma's mom is good with it and tries to save as much as she can (i.e. Genma would blow it all spending beyond his means or gambling and she'd do things to try and save money such as making her own envelopes from scrap paper).

How often does Genma actually tell Ranma to switch back in the manga

Don't know about the anime but barely ever in the manga. Ranma tells Genma to change back from being a panda a lot more than Genma tells Ranma.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:27 am

We don't really know how poor the Saotomes are.
Thievery.
They might not be that poor since they do own a house in Tokyo which was not their original house (Ranma's mom tells Ryu that the house they lived in was torn down)
Compensation by the government for taking the house for a project.
travel a lot (Ranma's mom does as well since we see Ranma and Genma bump into her on a trip)
Stowing away on trains/trucks/etc.
she had no trouble buying outfits for 'Ranko'
Nodoka might have spare funds, Ranma probably 'borrows' from school club or something.
eating out
You can actually eat out on the cheap in Japan and still get good food if you're careful.
going to the spa
IIRC, that was a family trip with the Tendo's so it would probably be a rare vacation in real life. The other trips to hot springs were 'jobs'.
frankly Ranma wears expensive clothing often(|kimonos, tuxedo's, really expensive looking dresses, etc)
Without a specific instance to reference against, I'd have to put money on them being rented or stolen by Genma depending on context if it was for the 'marrage' and being borrowed/stolen for one of Ranma's quirky plans if female clothing.

Most of the evidence points to the Soatome's or at least Ranma's mom not being poor in general.
Inconclusive.
This could be explained in a number of ways but I'm not going to really try to do so though the easiest explanation for the incongruities is that Genma is terrible with money whereas Ranma's mom is good with it and tries to save as much as she can
Inconclusive.

Ranma tells Genma to change back from being a panda a lot more than Genma tells Ranma.
True, more for the fact that Ranma doesn't want to bother reading the signs or it's a gag joke where someone cant 'hear' Genma talk in bear form.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:42 am

Thievery.

-not all thieves are poor some are quite well off. For example recent news stories of well off singers shop lifting or Kevin Castle a person that lives in a £1000 a week place in London who is wanted for shoplifting amongst other crimes.

-that is not likely since they weren't the owners of the original house either since it is mentioned that it was a tenement house in the Japanese version (she managed to move to a higher class of housing).

IIRC, that was a family trip with the Tendo's so it would probably be a rare vacation in real life.

- the time I'm thinking of is when they stopped at one after she took Ranko shopping like it was no big deal just decided to do so after shopping for clothes

Anyways I'm not trying to prove that they are well off just that it is possible that they aren't really that poor. Them being poor is just a common assumption but not the only possibility.
Last edited by three headed dog on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:45 am

Hmmm... does anyone know if Japan actually has an equivelent law to the one in the U.S. called I believe Eminent Domain?

That is not done near as often as it used to be, but despite the need to force one to move, it can be the best thing to happen to someone.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:54 am

PCHeintz72 wrote: does anyone know if Japan actually has an equivelent law to the one in the U.S. called I believe Eminent Domain?

Don't really know but this is from wikipedia:
Many countries recognize eminent domain to a much lesser extent than the English-speaking world or do not recognize it at all. Japan, for instance, has very weak eminent domain powers, as evidenced by the high-profile opposition to the expansion of Narita International Airport, and the disproportionately large amounts of financial inducement given to residents on sites slated for redevelopment in return for their agreement to leave, one well-known recent case being that of Roppongi Hills.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:26 am

Does Genma actually ever say that women are weak as is stated in so many fanfics?

Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:28 pm

Dumbledork wrote:Does Genma actually ever say that women are weak as is stated in so many fanfics?

Perhaps an implication once, but as for him regularly doing so, absolutely not.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:54 pm

Dumbledork wrote:In almost every fanfic Ranma is wearing silk clothes. Is it ever mentioned in the manga/anime that his clothes are made of silk. Silk is extremely expensive and I can't imagine where he'd get the money to buy the stuff since the Saotomes are rather poor.
three headed dog wrote:
We don't really know how poor the Saotomes are. They might not be that poor since they do own a house in Tokyo which was not their original house (Ranma's mom tells Ryu that the house they lived in was torn down), travel a lot (Ranma's mom does as well since we see Ranma and Genma bump into her on a trip), she had no trouble buying outfits for 'Ranko', eating out, going to the spa, and frankly Ranma wears expensive clothing often (|kimonos, tuxedo's, really expensive looking dresses, etc). Most of the evidence points to the Soatome's or at least Ranma's mom not being poor in general. This could be explained in a number of ways but I'm not going to really try to do so though the easiest explanation for the incongruities is that Genma is terrible with money whereas Ranma's mom is good with it and tries to save as much as she can (i.e. Genma would blow it all spending beyond his means or gambling and she'd do things to try and save money such as making her own envelopes from scrap paper).
The Saotome don't own a house. Nodoka rents the house.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:09 am

citation please. Where does it say she rents? And does Ukyo own the building of her restaurant?

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Next

Return to Specific Series: Ranma