Character height

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Re: Character height

Postby Noy Telinú » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:53 pm

Actually, looking at this, there's no Nodoka...

How tall is she? A bit past Kasumi?
"Oh no! What haz happened? As you cats would say." Akane asked, horrified.

"Cats do not speak that way!" Luna yelled.

"Normal sucks."-Noy Telinú
Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:52 pm

I didn't start getting growth until I was well into high school. Then, suddenly, I was high. Brittle bones, though, for a couple years until they caught up.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Zwzn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:55 am

Noy Telinú wrote:...

But I'm pretty fine with the heights as long as female Ranma doesn't get tall. Females don't grow much if at all in their late teens. So to somehow get a 5 foot 10 female Ranma of 19 or so just doesn't make sense.
Spica75 wrote:In regards to Ranma, probably true, in general, not so much.

I have an extremely good example in my cousins daughter, she was below 150cm up until well beyond 16... The next few years we started wondering if she wanted to overtake her dad(around 2m tall), in the end at around age 20, she is now around 180-185, maybe a little bit more, i don´t keep exact notes or anything but i think she´s just barely below a friend of mine who is 186cm. She was the family petite girl and shorter than her 2y younger brother up until age 18 or so. Now she´s taller than her older brother as well.

But again, Ranma-chan already has a fairly mature body shape which makes it unlikely that she will grow much(though still not impossible).

We also don't actually know Ranma's age. We know Ranma thinks he turned 16 about the time as the Mushrooms of time arc, but we don't know what method Ranma is using to count years, or why he thinks this. Ranma's age could range from 13 to 18 at the start of the series.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:09 pm

Let's just go by simple fact.

Akane is 16 to start the manga and is the first year of high school. Grade 10. Kuno is 17 and so is Nabiki. Most likely they are a grade above Akane. Ranma is in Akane's class. Therefore he is likely 16. He could be older due to skipping school thanks to Genma and that would be why Nabiki says he's in Akane's class. But not younger due to marriage laws. Why would Genma bring him before he's legally allowed to marry him to a Tendo?

Seriously, a 13 year old Ranma?

And because Rumiko says that the whole series was 1 year, then he was 16 to start or very close to it when the series started due to the mushroom making him normal.

And female Ranma is still the same. Unless you're saying that the female form was younger than the male for some reason.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:04 am

Why would Genma bring him before he's legally allowed to marry him to a Tendo?

To get to know her before they marry is one possibility after all Genma and Soun don't start trying to get them before an alter until other things happen.

Genma doesn't care too much about laws is a possibility (forge documents and such) and while I am not sure I think that there are or were back in the early 90's ways around those laws special circumstances and the like such having a signed statement from a licensed physician certifying that the would be bride is pregnant (remember the age of consent there is 13).

what method Ranma is using to count years

I'm not sure but I think Zwzn is referencing that the Japanese old way of counting a child's age. Where at birth you were one and counted up at new years; not on the birthday. So a person born a week before New Year could have been listed as two years old on New Years day. But that system of counting birthdays hasn't been done since the 19th century.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:55 am

Genma isn't one to do extra effort for himself. So I don't see him lying.

But anything under 15 is ridiculous.

Still, how tall is Nodoka?

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Specific Series: Ranma