Character height

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Character height

Postby Noy Telinú » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:26 pm

as seen here there are a few ways to go about the heights of the characters as they are inconsistent.

When I mention heights, I use the first chart. Ranma being just shorter than 5 feet as a girl seems more realistic to me then shorter. And Kuno towers over people anyway, so...
"Oh no! What haz happened? As you cats would say." Akane asked, horrified.

"Cats do not speak that way!" Luna yelled.

"Normal sucks."-Noy Telinú
Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Character height

Postby uragaaru » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:19 pm

I usually refer to this as my starting point when writing fanficiton, though I sometimes nudge some of the numbers up a tad (no more than 5cm or so) if I'm writing them in or after college-age. I also like to use this non-Ranma related image as well to give me some perspective on what the heights look like.

That said, the heights tend to be inconsistent (there are panels in the manga and shots in the TV series where girl-Ranma is the same height or even slightly taller than Akane, though it's hard to tell by the way the animators (and Takahashi in the manga) block characters. Shots where you get good height comparisons (such as in the Christmas OVA) are rare.
uragaaru
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:26 pm

I tend to go with the rule of the tallest. Using a group shot where people are mostly together and measure the tallest person then say their height is at or below 6 feet and then measure others that way. A 6 foot Soun ends up with a hair measured as well 4' 10"-5' 4" Ranma depending on the form.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:35 pm

I remember the Ranma Ryoga fight where Ranma changes by the fountain in the anime and Ryoga was huge compared to female Ranma!

But I'm pretty fine with the heights as long as female Ranma doesn't get tall. Females don't grow much if at all in their late teens. So to somehow get a 5 foot 10 female Ranma of 19 or so just doesn't make sense.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby uragaaru » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:05 pm

Noy Telinú wrote:But I'm pretty fine with the heights as long as female Ranma doesn't get tall. Females don't grow much if at all in their late teens. So to somehow get a 5 foot 10 female Ranma of 19 or so just doesn't make sense.

Yeah, that's kind of odd when people do that in their stories, particularly through some sort of desus ex machina or macguffin. The tallest I could ever see girl-Ranma get is about 157cm/5'2" (and that's a stretch, no pun intended). I could conceivably see guy Ranma get a fair bit taller, later growth spurt in boys and all, ending up at just at or a bit under 170cm or so, making him a hair shorter than Genma.
uragaaru
Senshi Cadet

Postby Noy Telinú » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:11 pm

Guy Ranma, yeah, that's reasonable, bit tall female Ranma... That just sucks. It's a big part of Ranma to be freaking short. Not only the shortness, but because it's feminine. Which would bug Ranma a ton.

Another thing that I find irritable is that when Yokio exists, she's taller than Akane and female Ranma. That doesn't seem right to me.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:53 pm

Noy Telinú wrote:...

But I'm pretty fine with the heights as long as female Ranma doesn't get tall. Females don't grow much if at all in their late teens. So to somehow get a 5 foot 10 female Ranma of 19 or so just doesn't make sense.

In regards to Ranma, probably true, in general, not so much.

I have an extremely good example in my cousins daughter, she was below 150cm up until well beyond 16... The next few years we started wondering if she wanted to overtake her dad(around 2m tall), in the end at around age 20, she is now around 180-185, maybe a little bit more, i don´t keep exact notes or anything but i think she´s just barely below a friend of mine who is 186cm. She was the family petite girl and shorter than her 2y younger brother up until age 18 or so. Now she´s taller than her older brother as well.

But again, Ranma-chan already has a fairly mature body shape which makes it unlikely that she will grow much(though still not impossible).
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:01 pm

O_O that never happened with anyone I know.

Although, I heard that it MIGHT happen to gymnasts when they retire, or something delays puberty a ton.

But that's a genetic irregularly.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:08 pm

Another thing being forgotten is that seeing a Japanese male who is taller than 5' 9" (Approx 175cm) is Rare. Not every society has people going around where 6 feet is able to be considered average.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:51 pm

6 feet is only average in the Neatherlands.

But yeah, Japanese people are short. But, Kuno IS huge from what I can tell.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:28 am

I tend to use the info off that old page link in the opening post...

What hurts is in series and even in interviews... info is inconsistent...

I was told on one of the forum threads a long time back that in one interview Takahashi said Ranma(male of course) was the tallest... Whether anime or manga... there are several taller individuals.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:44 am

The link doesn't work

uragaaru wrote:I usually refer to this as my starting point when writing fanficiton, though I sometimes nudge some of the numbers up a tad (no more than 5cm or so) if I'm writing them in or after college-age. I also like to use this non-Ranma related image as well to give me some perspective on what the heights look like.

That said, the heights tend to be inconsistent (there are panels in the manga and shots in the TV series where girl-Ranma is the same height or even slightly taller than Akane, though it's hard to tell by the way the animators (and Takahashi in the manga) block characters. Shots where you get good height comparisons (such as in the Christmas OVA) are rare.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:04 am

PCHeintz72 wrote:I tend to use the info off that old page link in the opening post...

What hurts is in series and even in interviews... info is inconsistent...

I was told on one of the forum threads a long time back that in one interview Takahashi said Ranma(male of course) was the tallest... Whether anime or manga... there are several taller individuals.

He wasn't drawn that way... ever.

That's being waaaay off mark on your own work, Rumiko...

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby uragaaru » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:55 am

Dumbledork wrote:The link doesn't work

http://i.imgur.com/uFdnK.jpg

(It's a pixiv drawing of most of the characters in the Persona series, ordered by height)
uragaaru
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spica75 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:55 am

Noy Telinú wrote:O_O that never happened with anyone I know.

Although, I heard that it MIGHT happen to gymnasts when they retire, or something delays puberty a ton.

But that's a genetic irregularly.

Nah, it´s just not common. There was also a girl in my class that did similar although not remotely as extreme, up until 9th grade she was always by far the shortest in the class, last i met her she was maybe 170cm or so, and she grew most of that between age 15 and 19. And i actually know more like it, just not as obvious ones.
Thinking about it, of those girls i know who did a late growth spurt, i think most have one tall and one short parent. But it´s not true for two of them so again it´s not an automatic rule or something.

That thing about gymnasts, it´s more generalised really, heavy training combined with trying to keep slim(ie not eating enough) can hold development/growth AND puberty back, puberty itself doesn´t have to be held back for growth to be slowed(but it usually adds to the effect if it is). It´s just most obvious with gymnasts since they´re the ones that have to balance weight with proper food the most.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Next

Return to Specific Series: Ranma