Let's play: guess the sexual orientation of the characters!

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Let's play: guess the sexual orientation of the characters!

Postby Noy Telinú » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:15 pm

Because, why not? O_o

Ranma would be straight and a lesbian while a girl I think. Or as Girl Days said, Hetrosexual Lesbian.

Akane is bi in denial I guess. She is really, really, REALLY close to Ranma as a girl and is most romantic then. Not to mention the hate boys thing and that in the movie loves Ranma for how he is.

Shampoo, bisexual leaning towards preferring guys. Or at least romantic with guys and doesn't mind lesbianism as long as she gets a bun in the oven.

Nabiki, money sexual. That is all that needs to be said. May enjoy sex, but loves money.

Kasumi is straight. Maybe. I don't know. She doesn't respond to Dr Tofu, but it's hinted that she's waiting for him. Yeah straight.

Ryoga is straight, and falls for girls that are nice to him. Although if it was a very effeminate guy... Ehhh...

Mousse is Shampoo sexual. Should be obvious.

Kodachi... Straight. I think. But perhaps bi. She is OBSESSED with the pigtailed girl and goes to an all girls school. Most definately the dom that's for sure.

Ukyo is either bisexual leaning towards guys or Ranmasexual. She had the most positive reaction to the curse and then there's that whole living as a guy thing. A bit perverted and doesn't mind the curse.

Akari is whoever-defeats-her-pig-sexual. Seriously, I doubt she cares. Although she might be into bestiality.

What do you think? Debate time!
"Oh no! What haz happened? As you cats would say." Akane asked, horrified.

"Cats do not speak that way!" Luna yelled.

"Normal sucks."-Noy Telinú
Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Let's play: guess the sexual orientation of the characte

Postby uragaaru » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:46 am

Noy Telinú wrote:Because, why not? O_o

Ranma would be straight and a lesbian while a girl I think. Or as Girl Days said, Hetrosexual Lesbian.

Akane is bi in denial I guess. She is really, really, REALLY close to Ranma as a girl and is most romantic then. Not to mention the hate boys thing and that in the movie loves Ranma for how he is.

Shampoo, bisexual leaning towards preferring guys. Or at least romantic with guys and doesn't mind lesbianism as long as she gets a bun in the oven.

Nabiki, money sexual. That is all that needs to be said. May enjoy sex, but loves money.

Kasumi is straight. Maybe. I don't know. She doesn't respond to Dr Tofu, but it's hinted that she's waiting for him. Yeah straight.

Ryoga is straight, and falls for girls that are nice to him. Although if it was a very effeminate guy... Ehhh...

Kodachi... Straight. I think. But perhaps bi. She is OBSESSED with the pigtailed girl and goes to an all girls school. Most definately the dom that's for sure.

Ukyo is either bisexual leaning towards guys or Ranmasexual. She had the most positive reaction to the curse and then there's that whole living as a guy thing. A bit perverted and doesn't mind the curse.

Akari is whoever-defeats-her-pig-sexual. Seriously, I doubt she cares. Although she might be into bestiality.

What do you think? Debate time!

I'd say these are pretty spot on, assuming we're sticking to roughly canon lines. It's tough since sex and gender are conflated like crazy and it's hard to disentangle who is "If it's you, it's okay" and who is "Bi the Way".

To be provocative*, I'll speculate using (the widely discredited) Kinsey Scale and assuming a singles bar-scenario:

Ranma: Wants to believe they're a 0 (6 in Girl form), but if actually put to the test (or put in a consequence-free environment among people who wouldn't emotionally traumatize him further, humorous though it may be), really a 3. Expect Him to leave the bar in girl form (and in disguise) with a swingers couple.

Akane: 4-5, but trying hard not to disappoint societal standards. Leaves the bar with Ranma in male form (while holding a water bottle) or with Ukyou, asking her to keep the suit on.

Nabiki: a 1. Perhaps Barsexual, but she's going home with a man at the end of the night.

Kasumi: 0.00 (Would find the only other nice upstanding citizen at the bar).

Ryouga: 1.5. Painfully straight, but there was that one time in middle school... Leaves the bar alone or if drunk enough, a guy who reminds him of that very same sempai.

Shampoo: In Public a 1. In Reality... well one of the reasons the scale is discredited is that it doesn't quite cover non-binary gender identity and attractions thereof.Leaves with a small entourage.

Mousse: On the other hand, the scale doesn't really cover Asexuality or separate between Sexual and Romantic attraction. I'd say a 0 since he only has eyes for for Shampoo, but not on the scale otherwise. Leaves the bar alone and wondering why he paid 10 dollars for a well liquor vodka and Redbull.

Ukyou: 2. Hetero-flexible. She'd prefer going home with a guy, but she's dated girls before and it was okay, but really she prefers guys more times than not. Ranma is good for the not. Expect her to leave with yet another effeminate man or the second butchiest woman in the place after herself.

*I pretty much agree with your assessment of Ranma, though I do admit I'm a sucker for decent attempts at portraying a bi-sexual, bi-gender Ranma.
uragaaru
Senshi Cadet

Postby Gnudist » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:53 am

Noy Telinu wrote:

I always thought the "I hate boys" things would be more used for the "akane is a lesbian" arguement. It doesn't really make sense for an arguement for bisexuality. Plus "I hate boys" is not the same as "I like gurlz". More so when you consider the boys she meets and the tofu thing it should probably be "I hate immature boys".

Was disappointed at ranma being a girl after having learned of the engagement so...

Strange but true lube. Er, I mean love

Duh. everyone likes clean hair.

Anyone who can defeat her pig sounds right.
In her home in U'sagi dead serenity waits dreaming.
Gnudist
Moon Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:57 am

The thing with Ranma is that he wouldn't allow himself to go that far... EXCEPT if it was to get something REALLY important.

Born that way Ranma is actual pansexual, but prefers girls since they are more likely to accept all the Ranma and the guys Ranma showed freaked out. :/

It's more about acceptance and personality rather than gender or looks for Ranma in that story.

The only thing I disagree is Shampoo in public. Glomping female Ranma a TON with no hesitation means she doesn't seem to give a damn.
Gnudist wrote:I always thought the "I hate boys" things would be more used for the "akane is a lesbian" arguement. It doesn't really make sense for an arguement for bisexuality. Plus "I hate boys" is not the same as "I like gurlz". More so when you consider the boys she meets and the tofu thing it should probably be "I hate immature boys".

I counter with Dr. Tofu. As I said, her most romantic comfortable moments happen when Ranma is a girl. \_O_o_/
Gnudist wrote:Duh. everyone likes clean hair.

Not EVERYONE...

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Gnudist » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:20 am

Noy Telinu wrote:

Born that way Ranma is actual pansexual,

Gentlemen, we have word of god here. *goes to inscribe holy words on stone tablet with lazorz*

but prefers girls since they are more likely to accept all the Ranma and the guys Ranma showed freaked out.

The "I don't think about that and neither should you" question (you know the one) could be enough to freak you out even if you're willing to accept the himself/herself thing. It's not like all babby is planned

I counter with Dr. Tofu. As I said, her most romantic comfortable moments happen when Ranma is a girl.

Could be one 'o them there psyco-wastits. Loves ramna, but is more confortable because the attraction is gone when ranma is female but the root feelings are not. Attaction can cause you to be more awkward that you otherwise might be.

Or you can just ignore this and keep the fanstasy alive. I'm not here to kill your dreams of hot lesbian baka-on-baka action after all.
Gnudist
Moon Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:26 am

I counter with her fears of sex and that she sees everything perverted. Oh and fears getting raped or that Ranma will remember that movie when Ranma had that hug command by Shampoo? Yeah...

She feels safer cuz "we're both girls" type of thinking.

Might not feel as attracted, but when it seeks like it's going to happen when they're girls, Akane is embarrassed, not furious or disgusted, but embarrassed.

And that whole thinking about it was pregnant Ranma, not anything else.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Gnudist » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:36 am

Noy Telinu wrote:

And that whole thinking about it was pregnant Ranma, not anything else.

But the question itself is "what happens if ranma gets pregnant and is splashed with hot water?"

"it might not be harmful to ranma" Is a risk that only an idiot or heartless *#$$*%$ would be okay with taking. Thus why a guy could accept the himself/herself thing but not be confortable with it due to possible risks to ranma's health.
Gnudist
Moon Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:43 am

In Born that way, Ranma controls it and flips back and forth instantly.

But, the point of answering like that was that we were all perverts. ^_^

In canon, it's why (one of the many at least) that I dislike Ranma/guy pairings.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Gnudist » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:08 am

But, the point of answering like that was that we were all perverts. ^_^

Yep, especially that Noy fella.
Gnudist
Moon Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:21 am

Nah, more Telinú, since Noy writes what Telinú comes up with.

But its a good system... mostly.

Soun is straight. But he does have a ton of Hoyay with Genma.

Genma may end up asexual... he doesn't mind leaving his wife for years and cares more about Ranma.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:30 am

Wow, I'm glad we're just guessing instead of showing how those diplomas mounted on our walls, which certifies our expertise in this area, aren't just for decoration. :P

Anyway, I'd like to think that most of the characters are heterosexual, seeing as what canon provides explicitly supports that more than anything else. Evidence toward bisexuality or homosexuality has so far been based on suggestion and can therefor only be assumption, if not already in direct contradiction with other evidence in canon.

I really need to manage my time better (so I can get other things done), so I'll just toss out some idea regarding Ranma, which has been developing over the past few years. I'm sure it will be a hoot or something, though keep in mind that I don't consider this to be any real attempt to analyze things to such an extent that I hope to convince anyone of it being true. I'm a writer, not a psychologist, so I don't hope to attain anything greater than "might be possible/believable."

Right. So, I was thinking that Ranma might be a good example of someone whose sexual inclinations are very circumstantial. Which is to say that, without various expectations and pressures, he'd probably be asexual, or putting interest in romantic and sexual relations even lower on his list of priorities. After all, he puts forth little if any effort into his official engagement if he can help it, and seeks/initiates no intimate relationships with anyone in general nor responds to those that seek such a thing with him. It probably doesn't help that his curse has probably revealed many of the mysteries that would have normally intrigued a boy's interest, either. Basically, while I think he self-identifies himself as being a heterosexual male, if the situation were different and the circumstances right, he could very well accept or resign himself to a relationship with a guy or a girl as a girl. (I have my doubts that he would ever be with a guy as a guy, unless circumstances were such that it couldn't be avoided.)
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:34 am

There are four criteria here: sex, gender, social identity, and affectional preference. (I'll assume genetic and hormonal track along with the naked body.)

Ukyo: Sex female, gender unclear but mildly female, social identity both, affectional preference Ranma (who is hirself unclear).

Konatsu: Sex male, gender and social identity female, affectional preference Ukyo?

Tsubasa: Sex male, gender presentation both, seldom seen in-canon as male, affectional preference Ukyo.

Ranma: Sex either, gender presentation either, social identity either (but I'm a boy, dammit!), affectional preference female.

I don't think you could squeeze a clear answer out of any of those four. The rest are subject to the normal sorting algorithms, though there are still plenty of normalities and perversions for them to play with.

Akane: profoundly conflicted.

Nabiki: moneysexual. She'd marry Scrooge McDuck if he showed.

Kasumi: easy to argue that she's asexual but romantic. Ends up staying at home a lot, so most of her opportunities are limited to visitors.

Genma, Soun, and Cologne: You've heard of Munchausen-by-proxy? They're sexuality-by-proxy, centered on their kids.

Happosai: I don't want to go there. I'd just as soon he not come here. (Pumps shotgun loaded with blessed silver pellets.)
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:04 am

That's why this is guessing.

Yeah, Akane wants to be feminine, but she just can't she's too masculine. Which is why gender bender is incorrect... Usually. I mean, they do change gender a lot, but they change their sex more. There's a difference, as you showed.

So... The fathers are meddling parents... I can see that.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:48 pm

I always wonder why people keep insisting Akane is anything but straight... She shows clear inclination towards males and no interest in girls.

Definitely. Also thought that definition was very fitting.

Something like that yes. Fairly strong leaning... More straight than not.

And straight, but probably not strongly so.

Almost certainly totally straight. But would probably be open to anything if someone asks very nicely(and well).

Straight. Almost too much so.

And overall straight. Never seen even a hint of anything else. (at least not outside of stuff caused by his bad eyesight)

Crazysexual. End of story. :mrgreen:
No really, i doubt she herself could figure out what she prefers even if she had a millenia to try.

What does living as a guy have to do with it?
I´d say she´s strongly straight, but with an interesting "imagination" and interest in "playing around".
Ie. it´s not Ranma as a girl that is of interest, it´s that Ranma can turn into a girl...
And she might date a girl, but she would very much prefer a guy.

Eh?

Anyway, I'd like to think that most of the characters are heterosexual, seeing as what canon provides explicitly supports that more than anything else. Evidence toward bisexuality or homosexuality has so far been based on suggestion and can therefor only be assumption, if not already in direct contradiction with other evidence in canon.

Yeah.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:01 pm

Akane likes being around girls more. That's for certain.

And Akari just seems like the girl who would go with whoever defeated that pig. Maybe not attracted, but will do so enthusiastically.

And giving up her femininity and such really seemed that she is more... Flexible... And gender roles and such just doesn't matter for the other side. You do what you must. It's a reason why I like her.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Next

Return to Specific Series: Ranma