Ranma telling people his life story

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Re: Ranma telling people his life story

Postby Spica75 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:15 pm

That can be a problem though... and not even limited to Ranma fandom... Too often I see writers whom what to 'tell their story', the problem is getting to thier stry from canon material... many times I've seen the whole backdrop of events left out and the reader never is to learn how the protagonist got to that point.

An obvious Ranma example of the stories I'm talking about are ones that start with Ranma having left Nerima and is on his own, and in some cases it is much later that the story starts (remember one that started a whole 3 1/2 months after he left)... Why leave out the reasons and all that time? Because generally I find the author wants to tell *their* story, and did not so much care to bother telling how it came to that point, but only that they could start telling it.

To me, setup and backdrop is important... I prefer reading as much of it as possible, as I like to immerse myslf into the story. If the setting, setup, and backdrop ar not believable, I am likely to not like it near as much.

It can get very troublesome either way. Leaving out the "how things got here" can be much better sometimes, while other times it sucks BAD.

Then you can do it as i am doing now, write the "backdrop" as a story of its own. In my case, that backdrop is already past 100k words posted, and since it spans 5-6 years it´s way slower paced than i wanted.
OTOH, trying to jump right into the main part of the story without it, in this case that would probably just make most readers go "eh?"... And again OTOH, it´s got about 400+ readers for all chapters, so clearly there´s plenty of people that enjoys a story doing "just" the backdrop as well.

Essentially, you have to decide on how to do it, and it´s almost guaranteed that it will never be perfect.

When I do AU (about half of them) i do what i can to explain the situation and make things make sense.

But I won't describe the Tendo home, or the scenery, or what they are wearing past minimal things.
That's it for describing that. No needless detail or anything. And I don't describe body parts past basic size. IE, She was 4 foot 11. And I try not to go crazy with hair color. Purple hair, redhead, blue, not NAVY, not lavender, just the colors.

Yeah, that´s similar to what i prefer as well. Seen too many stories, including faar too many professionally published books spending pages and pages on "watching the scenery", making them slow and even boring to read.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:18 pm

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PurpleProse

This is what we are talking about, if people don't know...
"Oh no! What haz happened? As you cats would say." Akane asked, horrified.

"Cats do not speak that way!" Luna yelled.

"Normal sucks."-Noy Telinú
Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:20 pm

There is a happy medium though. Between arduously spelling out each and every bit of what is happening in prose and barely enough details for someone to fill in the blanks for themselves.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:24 pm

Give an example, please...

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:31 pm

My favorite examples are in books I physically own and I'm not in the mood to retype right now. Dragon Riders of Pern does a beautiful job of it through the entire book. Its a book by Anne McCaffrey.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:36 pm

*shrug*

Anyway, on topic, Ranma gives very few details on his life and very secretive, it just makes no sense for him to tell strangers it.

Besides bad writing, why? Why does this happen so often?

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:25 pm

Noy Telinú wrote:*shrug*

Anyway, on topic, Ranma gives very few details on his life and very secretive, it just makes no sense for him to tell strangers it.

Besides bad writing, why? Why does this happen so often?

It´s a simple way for an author to proclaim there version of the background story.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:53 pm

It makes sense to tell some explanation though...

Consider... Jusenkyo at a minimum, nekoken if cats around, and chi abilities if they see him doing what 'he' consideres martial arts...

It is like a explanation I came across in a Ranma/Xmen story once, where Xavier askes Ranma to try to blend in with 'normal' people at Bayville and he refuses... Why:

"Just keep in mind that every unexplainable instance will raise the awareness of our presence to on-lookers. If you have to fake an injury, then do so." Xavier sighed tiredly, "It's imperative we remain hidden for as long as possible."

"Ahright..." Rogue sighed, "... sorry."

Ranma looked at her, before turning back to Xavier. "Yeah, I don't think so."

Xavier blinked, "What?"

"I can understand the whole faking injury thing; You want to keep mutations a secret, I understand." Ranma grunted, "But let me ask you this; Have you ever been shot?"

"Can't say I've ever had the pleasure." Xavier stared blankly.

"Yeah, well I have." he said simply. "Hurts like hell, but I still walked away from that. How the hell do you expect me to fake something like that?"

"That's a rather extreme example." Xavier shook his head, "In such a case I'd imagine there would be little you could do to hide the secret."

Ranma frowned, "Okay, forget being shot. Have you ever shaken some ones hand?"

Xavier blinked, "Of course."

"And did you accidentally crush every bone in their hand while doing so?" the boy stressed.

"Ah, no." Xavier chuckled lightly, "Doubt anyone would shake my hand after that."

"Which makes my point." the boy continued, "You want us to act 'normal', fake injuries if need be, but what exactly is normal?" Ranma frowned, "Frankly, normal for me is getting hit by a speeding bus and whining about getting my clothes dirty. How would you react in that situation?"

"I'd likely die." Xavier drawled.

"It's hard to fake being dead." Ranma pointed out needlessly, "But still, you see what I'm getting at? This isn't even taking my mutation into account, this is just who I am."

Xavier sighed, rubbing his forehead tiredly, "You are a unique case, Ranma. I understand the majority of your abilities aren't based on mutation, but think of it from the perspective of your normal, everyday person. Would they see a difference between mutations and your abilities at a glance?"

"Yeah, I really don't care prof." Ranma shrugged, "I get what your saying, I really do, but you can't honestly expect us to fake being injured when someone cracks us in the head with a boulder!"

Rogue sweated, "Uh, that would kill me."

"What, really?" Ranma blinked at that. "Okay..." he glanced at Xavier, "... maybe I really don't know what's considered normal."
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:33 pm

Yeah, that bugged me. While it might be smart to explain for Ranma, its not his character. Bad communication skills and all...

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Specific Series: Ranma