Ranma trains with Akane - AKA: Another fanon trope is wrong.

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Re: Ranma trains with Akane - AKA: Another fanon trope is wr

Postby Spica75 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:44 am

Some things that we know for sure (if my memory serves me right), though: Ranma is never seen breaking bricks in the same manner as Akane, Akane's never shown to meditate like Ranma does every now and again, and Ranma once (during the rhythmic gymnastic story) said that the Saotome school specialized in mid-air combat.

Yeah, "mid-air combat" is something we definitely NEVER see even the slightest hint about from Akane.

All that's not irrefutable proof by any means, but it tips the scales toward the likelihood of the schools being different, even if not fundamentally.

Yup, common ancestry and close enough to probably work as complementary sides of a whole, but not same.

Also, one very simple and blatant indication, Ranma and Akane are supposed to marry to "unite the schools". That would be completely irrelevant if they practised the exact same thing.

Although my memory's not perfect, there were two grappling moves in the dogi story alone that I don't recall Ranma ever doing. (I'm sure he could do them if he wanted to, but that's an entirely different argument.) If that turns out to be true, it stands to reason that it suggests that her style might be different, if we assume it was Akane and not the dogi doing it.

Yes. And while especially drawn martial arts is difficult to see as it's supposed to be for real, it's definitely possible to find more examples of how they're drawn with their own distinct styles. Akane does things one way, Ranma do them in another, they overlap, but not enough to be the same.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Pata Hikari » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:55 am

Té Rowan wrote:/me looks at OP image.

Well, I get a rather different scene from that image: They are close together, but they are training separately while sharing training space. Why separately? They are training in two different things (chops v punches) and not assisting each other.

Because that's not what's the logical thing to get from that context. The context is Ranma and Akane training together. The only reason to assume that they're not trainign together is if your perspective has been bent by the fanon that they don't train together.

The entire point is that them training together is such an obvious thing that Takahashi never thought to make it a big deal the same way she didn't make them doing homework a big deal.
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spica75 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:10 am

Pata Hikari wrote:Because that's not what's the logical thing to get from that context. The context is Ranma and Akane training together. The only reason to assume that they're not trainign together is if your perspective has been bent by the fanon that they don't train together.

No, the exact opposite. That picture in specific, blatantly contradicts you, it does not in any way support your claim.

It shows them sharing a training area, with their own parts of it, widely separated.
They are specifically shown to NOT face each other while training but rather their own individual training tools.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Pata Hikari » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:00 pm

The fact that they're both training out at the same time means that they're training together. Your perspective has been warped by fanon to the point that actual canon is being dismissed and ignored.

Like, you do realize that martial arts practice is mostly singular activities? You practice forms, you do strength building exercises. The only direct interaction with another person is sparring. Which we've seen Ranma and Akane do as well. Ranma and Akane using different tools the dojo has doesn't mean they're training separately.
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spica75 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:49 pm

Pata Hikari wrote:The fact that they're both training out at the same time means that they're training together. Your perspective has been warped by fanon to the point that actual canon is being dismissed and ignored.

Like, you do realize that martial arts practice is mostly singular activities? You practice forms, you do strength building exercises. The only direct interaction with another person is sparring. Which we've seen Ranma and Akane do as well. Ranma and Akane using different tools the dojo has doesn't mean they're training separately.

Having actively practiced martial arts for 15 years or so, i'm reasonably well aware how it works yes.

The fact that they're both training out at the same time means that they're training together.

No, that means they're sharing a training location. Which can mean just about anything, but as we are not shown barely even a hint of actual cooperative training, then they're not training together in a way that is relevant to martial arts, as in actively assisting each other to improve.

Like, you do realize that martial arts practice is mostly singular activities? You practice forms, you do strength building exercises. The only direct interaction with another person is sparring.

Wrong. Very very wrong. Unless you count practising moves on other people in slow motion as either sparring or forms. There's also the very basic "follow my lead", which is very common. Ranma and Akane do neither, showing that the apparent norm is that they train individually even if they share training space.

And strength exercises depends entirely on what martial art it is, the ones i practiced included no such thing at all, but a lot of stretching, speed and agility exercises.

Your perspective

:mrgreen:

My "perspective" is one of "I don't really care either way". Show us the evidence instead of your apparently fanon claims and creative interpretations, because that's what it looks like.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Pata Hikari » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:13 pm

Spica75 wrote:Wrong. Very very wrong. Unless you count practising moves on other people in slow motion as either sparring or forms. There's also the very basic "follow my lead", which is very common.

Yes that's exactly what I mean.

Spica75 wrote:No, that means they're sharing a training location. Which can mean just about anything

IT MEANS THEY ARE TRAINING TOGETHER

Spica75 wrote:Ranma and Akane do neither, showing that the apparent norm is that they train individually even if they share training space.

THIS IS LITERALLY SOME OF THE ONLY TRAINING WE EVER SEE EITHER RANMA AND AKANE DO IN CANON. OUT OF THE HUNDREDS OF CHAPTERS HARDLY ANY TRAINING IS SHOWN ON SCREEN BY THEM. YET WE SEE THEM TRAINING TOGETHER HERE. THE FANON OF THEM TRAINING SEPERATELY IS WRONG

Spica75 wrote:My "perspective" is one of "I don't really care either way". Show us the evidence instead of your apparently fanon claims and creative interpretations, because that's what it looks like.

HERE IS MY EVIDENCE. A PANEL OF THE COMIC RANMA 1/2 BY RUMIKO TAKAHASHI SHOWING THAT RANMA AND AKANE TRAIN TOGETHER.

THIS IS NOT A FANON CLAIM.

THIS IS NOT A FAN THEORY THAT IS MISTAKEN FOR FACT. IT IS CANON THAT PEOPLE MISS.

Seriously what makes MORE SENSE? That two people who are very close and spend a lot of time together will also come together for a shared passion? Or that they'll spend all their time together doing everything but their favorite thing?

Martial Arts training is boring to watch long term, so it isn't shown much, that's it. We get a scene here because it's a slice of Ranma and Akane's normal lives before some oddness comes in. And part of their normal lives is training, and they'll do it together.
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:17 am

Training together is not the same as training at the same time and place. But it could well be there are different definitions of "together" flying around in this argument.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spica75 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:14 pm

HERE IS MY EVIDENCE. A PANEL OF THE COMIC RANMA 1/2 BY RUMIKO TAKAHASHI SHOWING THAT RANMA AND AKANE TRAIN TOGETHER.

They are training in the same time and place. They are very blatantly NOT training together as in WITH each other.

Your own "evidence" shows exactly that they do NOT train together, as Akane is doing HER own thing on one side and Ranma HIS own thing, he's not even looking at her for goodness sake, and unless she was currently turned away from her own little exercise, she wouldn't even be facing him either.

They are training together to the point of "we do the same activity in the same time and place", but they are definitely not showing the slightest sign of "we train together", they are not teaching each other, they are not showing each other anything, they're not acting as spotters to each other, they're not sparring and so on and so on.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:32 am

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:Training together is not the same as training at the same time and place. But it could well be there are different definitions of "together" flying around in this argument.

The way I see it, there are. I go with ‘two or more people training interactively, even assisting each other’. By my book, Akane and Ranma are training individually in the image above. Note: They are also not training separately (which, to me, implies separation in time and space).
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Pata Hikari » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:56 am

Spica75 wrote:They are training in the same time and place. They are very blatantly NOT training together as in WITH each other.

Yes they're right now using separate facilities.

Answer the question:

Seriously what makes MORE SENSE? That two people who are very close and spend a lot of time together will also come together for a shared passion? Or that they'll spend all their time together doing everything but their favorite thing?

Not to mention they've been shown sparring when the plot needs it.

And it's never talked about as anything special. Thus implying they do it all the the time/
Because, again, Martial Arts Training is boring.

We never see Mousse train, or Shampoo, so should we assume they never do?

But of course you're much more attatched to Fanon Ranma than the actually good Ranma 1/2 soo...
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spica75 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:18 pm

Yes they're right now using separate facilities.

And yet that was your big proof of how they obviously trained together. :roll:

But of course you're much more attatched to Fanon Ranma than the actually good Ranma 1/2 soo...

Right, because i'm such a rabid fanboy, oh wait no, i couldn't care less, you're the fanboy trying to prove something noone agrees with. Great job there, coming up with personal attacks that are bloody stupid nonsense. Really works wonders for your lack of evidence.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Specific Series: Ranma