The Pony thread

Talk about various Western Media Here.

Re: The Pony thread

Postby Dumbledork » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:57 am

Finished reading an excellent Harry Potter / MLP:FiM crossover and now I wonder. If the Mane Six went to Hogwarts, what House would they be in. For some it's obvious, but for other I'm not so sure.

Here's my opinion:

Rainbow Dash => Gryffindor, no doubt about it.
Pinkie Pie => Hufflepuff
Twilight Sparkle => Ravenclaw

The other three, I'm not so sure , but I Think:

Rarity => Slytherin
Fluttershy => Hufflepuff
Apllejack => Gryffindor

Derpy Hooves ??????
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:14 pm

I wasn't feeling too great today. Feeling rather down on the whole, didn't want to do too much at all. Kinda bleh, stuff like that.

Then I checked through my Subscriptions list on my YouTube account, and found reactions to this. And suddenly, I actually feel like smiling today. :)
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:10 am

Haven't seen the trailer yet. Then again... The last ep I actually saw was episode 2 of season 6... And that was a decent amount of time ago. For some reason I haven't been able to get myself to watch the rest. I have it on hand, I just can't get myself to sit down and watch it.

Doesn't mean that I'm not reading pony fiction (http://www.fimfiction.net/) or quit playing the Gameloft MLP game. I still do those. Just not watching the episodes.

Might be that I'm a tad worried the episodes are going to be way more formulaic and less of the free-and-crazy antics the first seasons were. Might also have to do with alicornification of Twilight... tho I can't readily remember much of season 5, other than me slugging through that one.

And don't get me started on the Equestria Girls movies. I'm not watching those abominations, end of story.
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:33 am

I've seen the first Equestria Girls movie and it's really not bad.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:44 am

I've read the premisse, I'm not interested in seeing it. I feel it was only added on Hasbro's insistence to make sure they could sell more toys.
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:46 am

I started watching Equestria Girls, and didn't finish. Who knows what madness (and magic) this one will bring?
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby CRBWildcat » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:53 pm

Neko- wrote:Might be that I'm a tad worried the episodes are going to be way more formulaic and less of the free-and-crazy antics the first seasons were. Might also have to do with alicornification of Twilight... tho I can't readily remember much of season 5, other than me slugging through that one.

Having entered the series a few years after it happened, I could never really understand why Twilight suddenly gaining wings and a crown turned a lot of people off on the series. It's not like the process made her any less of an OCD-laden nerd. :?

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:I started watching Equestria Girls, and didn't finish. Who knows what madness (and magic) this one will bring?

To all of you, I highly suggest going to see it when it comes out before forming your opinions. If you don't like it afterwards, that's perfectly fine; but if you're dead-set on avoiding it before it appears due to some pre-conceived notions, that doesn't really look good on your records if it turns out to be better than people expect. ()^_^

Further Wildcat sayeth not.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:46 pm

The first Equestria Girls movie had problems. Of the plot hole kind. The three after it are simply meh.

If you didn't like the Equestria Girl movies for certain reasons, don't judge this non-Equestria Girls movie based on those. From what I know, it's going to suffer from plenty of the problems that the series has. :P
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:46 pm

The plot hole that always confused me with the EG films is the age discrepancy between Sunset and Twilight. TV Tropes puts it a lot better than I could (and believe me, I've tried):

Even more so than the Mane Six. She's been in the human world for what's implied [But only confirmed in the comics, showing her at near present age when Twilight was a cutie-markless filly, and the same age as ponies that "Amending Fences" would Retcon to Twilight's age so... Yeah.] to be Twilight Sparkle's entire student career (filly to young adult), yet there's no visible age difference between them as ponies or humans, seemingly passing for the same grade as the latter (not that grades were given). Anything that could rationalize this (Older Than She Looks, Narnia Time) aren't touched on.

I gave up on trying to figure things out eventually. It's not a huge deal to me anyway. *shrug*
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:13 pm

The plot hole that makes no sense is how Sunset Shimmer was able to keep track of recent events in Equestria when there was a short window open between worlds, which was closed for a long enough time (thirty moons) to really want to avoid being stuck on the wrong world, yet she somehow gleans enough information to conveniently fracture the friendship of the five humans whose pony counterparts just happen bear the Elements of Harmony before she could have known about Twilight Sparkle becoming a princess and the aforementioned Elements of Harmony.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:21 pm

That too, yeah, though I'm not too bothered by it compared to the age one.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:43 pm

Sunset Shimmer's age is small potatoes, though, compared to the aforementioned plot hole. And this one: the thousand-year-plus creatures like the Sirens, who look and convincingly behaved like teenagers.

...Then again, the writers of the show have a problem matching behavioral and apparent/known age in general. Luna and Celestia are probably the worst offenders.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:58 pm

The bit concerning the Sirens can be explained, depending on whether or not the viewer in question is willing and able to integrate the comics' canon. In Rainbow Rocks, Applejack raised a good question: "But Starswirl must have sent them there ages ago! How come they're just surfacing now?" The Fiendship is Magic issue that revolves around the Sirens answers that question: when Starswirl banished them, he sent them through both space and time. I don't know if it's just me or not, but it's possible that not only are the Sirens not very old, but they also had enough time to get used to their new surroundings before the events of the films.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:22 pm

Space and time is rather contrived, though, so it's really no better. And all it's doing is perpetuating one of the series' greatest weaknesses/flaws: having a baddie from the past rearing its stupid, one-dimensional mug in the present.

The comics are optional continuity, anyway. Personally, I treat it all as a separate continuity. It's easy to do since there are stories from the comics that are either too nonsensical even for the show, contradicts the show, or makes no connection via reference.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:39 pm

Eh. Whichever. :mrgreen:
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Western TV/Movies/Books