Power Rangers (The Original)

Talk about various Western Media Here.

Power Rangers (The Original)

Postby Lioconvoy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:37 pm

So out in stores right now are both parts of the first season. However online they have the complete series. So I decided to look around and got the complete series from Amazon. I haven't had the time to watch it all yet, but the next episode I'm on is the first part of the Green Ranger's introduction.

I have to say some episodes have better quality than others. Some of the child character that show up seem badly dubbed, and I recognize who's voicing the kid instead of the kid themselves. Why couldn't the kids voice themselves? Quality aside I'm still enjoying watching again.
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Re: Power Rangers (The Original)

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:55 pm

http://ronwasserman.bandcamp.com/
The Composer remastered some of the songs and has them available online. Free to listen but more than worth buying.

A couple of them got dubbed due to legal situations with Saban. Broken contracts and the like. So their own voice was there but to rebroadcast after the contract was violated they had someone else do it. Or at least that is what I heard.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:59 pm

...okay...that's just.... "Hey I know you used my voice with my image, but you know what I don't care that it's recorded you can't use my voice anymore." How does that make any sense?

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:43 pm

Terms of the contract between the child actor and their agent. Either get rid of the whole show or pay the kid royalties every time his voice is aired. Fun huh?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:42 am

...if the kid wanted that in their contract they should have signed a different kid.... Do the stars get that kind of deal? I mean maybe Dustin Daimond still be sane if he made those kind of royalties from Saved By the Bell.

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:57 am

You're joking, right. You haven't spent any money on that cheap knock off of the original Japanese sentai series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ky%C5%8Dry ... _Zyuranger
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:05 am

Hello, have you watched that show? Sorry, but Power Rangers was more interesting. Cheap knock off or not, I grew up with it and enjoyed it. Everyone has their own opinions of things, it's our right as indiviuals.

I've seen the first few episodes of Zyu Rangers and did not enjoy it at all.

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:45 am

You do know they ended up using footage from many more series than that. Power Rangers has become the central importer of Sentai. Its disturbing how many different and virtually unrelateable series they managed to actually work into a time line with each other before production went to NewZealand.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:54 am

Yes we (or at least I do) know. I kind of like the fact that Tommy lasted through up to five different series and then returned for a sixth. Was any character around longer than him? Also do you think he'll return when the US gets the next Dino themed series?

I've looked that stuff up before, and there have been articles in magazines I've read. Just wish I remembered which.

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:58 am

The Americans did the same with Robotech which is composed of three different series. Personally, I don't like it when producers change the originals like that. To me that's just as bad as all the censorship 4kids did to anime. If the producers don't like the original version they should just do something on their own without stealing only parts from the original.

There are probably many people who have no idea who did the original version and that's just sad.

Just like the Lion King did with Tezuka's Jungle Taitei. Disney didn't even admit that they stole the idea.

Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:02 am

I'm so sorry I enjoyed both Power Rangers and Robotech. It suck that only the books got original stuff, it would have been nice if they did Animate the stuff in the Robotech books.

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:12 am

Actually Power Rangers got allot of original material. Nearly everything in Angel Grove was purely American in origin. And before they stopped using the Thunder Zords new fight footage was even needed because they ran out of fights from the original Sentai making them one of the first series to ever hire the original company to do more fights beyond the content of the original series.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:24 am

With all this Power Rangers background talk I did some digging. Did you know the actor who played Skull has a Doctorate?

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:34 am

Lioconvoy wrote:...if the kid wanted that in their contract they should have signed a different kid.... Do the stars get that kind of deal? I mean maybe Dustin Daimond still be sane if he made those kind of royalties from Saved By the Bell.

To my knowledge it's a standard contract that all actors (not just the main cast) continue to get royalties everytime an episode they appear in airs.
Yes we (or at least I do) know. I kind of like the fact that Tommy lasted through up to five different series and then returned for a sixth.

I think he's returned for one or two more series than that (with one supplying just his voice for most of the series).

Was any character around longer than him? Also do you think he'll return when the US gets the next Dino themed series?

Bulk and Skull with Skull's actor leaving the show to go to college during one series but eventually returning.

Dumbledork wrote:The Americans did the same with Robotech which is composed of three different series. Personally, I don't like it when producers change the originals like that. To me that's just as bad as all the censorship 4kids did to anime. If the producers don't like the original version they should just do something on their own without stealing only parts from the original.

Actually, it wasn't because they didn't like it (just the opposite in fact) that they changed Robotech it was because they needed a minimum of 70-75 episodes and SDF Macross wasn't long enough for American syndication. So they licensed two shows that were similar and combined them to make Robotech. Changing names (and, in the case of Power Rangers, replacing actors) is done because they believe that American children won't like/connect with/understand/whatever Japanese characters, places and things (ie. Pokemon changing onigiri to donuts).
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:25 pm

They really changed onigiri to donuts? They look nothing alike. They could have used 'rice ball' just as well. But the thing that pisses me off most is the censorship 4Kids did to Pokémon and other shows. Okay, I wouldn't have minded so much if they hadn't sold their crap to Europe. Usually the Germand and French buy the series directly in Japan and without censorship. Yet with Pokémon I could never watch the uncensored version because of @3*@&% 4Kids.

Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Next

Return to Western TV/Movies/Books