Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Re: The Pony thread

Postby CRBWildcat » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:11 pm

Dumbledork wrote:A question. Is Equestria Girls considered canon?

Beyond a shadow of a doubt. The Season 7 finale that aired within the last few weeks showed outright how Starswirl banished the Sirens (the antagonists of the Rainbow Rocks film) from Equestria. You wouldn't believe how much of a freakout there was among those reacting to the episodes on YouTube.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:35 am

Note up front: I've seen the first two episodes of season 5, but never got beyond that. So I have not seen season 7, let alone the season 7 finale.

I did take note of a thread on Fimfic about that. It was supposedly never shown WHERE they were banished to. And as such, everyone seems to assume it was the EqG world.

So while it could be construed as a connection between the two, if what I read on that is true, it's by no means 'beyond a shadow of a doubt'.
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:46 am

If that's what you want to believe, go right on ahead. There's no assumptions made about it; they wouldn't have depicted that scene if it didn't have a connection in some way. >^_^<

May as leave a few things here. First, this old Fimfiction thread that depicts the anger-filled reactions of a hundred bronies at the very thought of EqG possibly being canon. I'm torn somewhere between appalled and wanting to laugh aloud. :|

Second, a direct quotation from the movie's Trivia page at TV Tropes:

There hasn't been an official statement that Equestria Girls is in Canon Discontinuity or an Alternate Continuity, nor that the movie will have no bearing on My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Here's what has been officially stated:

By staff:
Season 4 of MLPFiM is FiM and not Equestria Girls which is separate, according to Meghan McCarthy.
It's new but still an extension of their mythology, according to Meghan McCarthy.

EG takes place before S4, according to Meghan McCarthy.
According to a tweet by Meghan McCarthy, Equestria Girls is considered canon to the series/franchise, but otherwise doesn't have any real bearing on Season 4.

Among other things. I could go into more detail, but that would likely lead me to get involved in a drawn-out argument that would ultimately accomplish nothing. And really, that sort of anger is part of the reason why I stopped going to EveryPony to start with; I have no desire to lose my temper over something that's ultimately inconsequential. Ciao mein, everyone! :D
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:01 am

Point being, beyond what Meghan McCarthy has stated, there is still no definitive outcome in the cartoon.

So is it canon? Depends on what you decide on I guess. You can follow Meghan and decide it is canon, or you can go with what you've actually seen in the series, which makes it non-canon.

It's up to ones personal preferences I suppose.
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:54 pm

I think that most people who really care about the show, and believe the continuities are separate, do so because they don't like the idea of the continuities being connected. Honestly, if it was just a small bit of circumstantial evidence, they'd have a case, but there's simply too much at this point. Now that we have so many connections that the only distance they haven't gone is actually having the EG continuity in the TV series continuity, while the TV series continuity is definitely a part of the EG continuity, it's like a working scientific theory now: it might not be a law, but it holds up plenty.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Western TV/Movies/Books