Let's Get Digging

Talk about Video and Tabletop Games here.

Let's Get Digging

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Oh-ho-ho, yes. Watched some LPs, listened to the music, I honestly think that I--- ...wait, I'm getting ahead of myself, aren't I? Okay, let me start over.

The post's subject refers to the indie game Shovel Knight, which was released for the Wii U, 3DS, for the PC and through Steam in recent months. From everything I've seen and heard (especially heard; as I think of the music, I'm grinning), this is an 8-bit throwback done very well. As I said at the start I've seen a few LPs of the game, and for once it looks like the kind of game I can actually beat. It's not too hard to play, the main character controls well, the full nine yards. Everything about the game harkens back to the NES days, borrowing stuff from Mega Man, Zelda II, DuckTales, Castlevania, and the like while avoiding the more common pitfalls of such.

So the story goes, there were these two adventurers---Shovel Knight and Shield Knight---who would travel around, fight monsters, collect treasure and such. Then one day while exploring this place called the Tower of Fate, Shield Knight was whisked away by a magic amulet while Shovel Knight was thrown outside the now-sealed Tower. Our grieving hero left the area and went off to live on his own, but this left the entire valley subject to a hostile takeover by the villainous Enchantress and an eight-pack of bosses dubbed the Order of No Quarter. And thus, the game begins...

This is all I can really think of to say; this review at IGN's website goes into it in more details. Look through it, watch the trailer and what not, and if you like it, then feel free to buy it if you haven't done so already. Even if you don't, I still suggest finding an LP on Youtube and seeing it for yourself. Me? I feel that it'll be worth the $15 it cost me.

Because when all is said and done, there's nothing like a taste of justice. SHOVEL justice. :mrgreen:
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Re: Let's Get Digging

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:15 pm

I watched the Game Grumps play it. They sampled it over a year ago, then played it after it came out.

I'll probably get it someday, but right now I have other things at the top of my games-to-get list.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Return to Games