Touhou Project

Talk about Video and Tabletop Games here.

Re: Touhou Project

Postby CRBWildcat » Tue May 12, 2015 10:34 pm

The main computer in our house has been changed from a laptop to a rather gargantuan beast, performance-wise. My dad got someone he knew to build him a new PC, and it's rather high-end---intended primarily for gaming, although the fact that it'll run pretty much anything just fine is pure gravy as far as my dad concerned (he has no real fondness for anything more complicated than Solitaire and Mahjongg).

What this means for me is that provided I can do it without my parents finding out, I should be able to play the more recent Touhou games (and fangames) without any problem. I may even be able to start recording honest-to-goodness video footage that doesn't rely on second-hand camera usage.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed May 13, 2015 1:55 am

Exactly what part do you not want your parents to find out about? That you're playing certain games, playing games/using the PC at all, or how you got the games?

If it's the latter-most one, that's easier to solve these days. I'm going to buy Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom as soon as I'm able.

Speaking of which, the videos of the demo are out. Some of the things in easy mode look like they would normally belong in hard or hard-normal mode. <_<
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed May 13, 2015 12:28 pm

It's the first one, primarily. Neither of my parents like violent stuff (and to a lesser degree, magical stuff), and my dad views most video games as a rather extreme waste of time and effort (and in light of my infatuation with said games, I can understand what he's getting at ()^_^ ).

I'll check out the video when I have more time.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed May 13, 2015 2:30 pm

Oh, it's that kind of situation. Maybe you should show them where the bar is raised for violence these days, like with the latest Mortal Kombat, so they can see how very not-violent Touhou is in comparison (whose system is specifically meant to be non-life-threatening). Also, it's becoming apparent that video games have benefits, outside of the obvious aspects, like things geared specifically toward education, training/simulators and various medical applications. For instance, if I remember correctly, it was recently said that action video games can improve cognition and perception. Touhou probably fits in there, plus there's tying the action to puzzle solving.

And if The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings is too magical for them, well... There's probably no saving you. U_U;
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed May 13, 2015 6:27 pm

I... really don't think it would help all that much if I tried. ()^_^ For one, explaining things to people with spoken words has never been my forte---I sweat bullets, I repeatedly stumble over my words, and inevitably I'll be at a complete loss for things to say. For another, there's no getting around the fact that the main games in Touhou are, at their core, shoot-'em'-ups; saying "oh, they don't die, they just disappear" isn't going to cut it with my parents. (And even if it was, they'd probably argue that games that cause an undue amount of frustration probably aren't worth my time. Yeah, Subterranean Animism, I'm talking about YOU. 8) )

Certain games or series they don't have as much of a problem with me playing. Sports games they generally don't mind, and I think they've played Wii Sports at least once; the Super Mario series (at least, the NES trilogy and Mario Kart 64) was alright as long as they didn't have to play... Educational games like the Carmen Sandiego series (and, when I was having trouble with my math classes, Alge-Blaster) were okay by them. (And strangely, my dad was fascinated by Duck Hunt and how the NES Zapper interacted with the television. Too, my mom at one point liked watching us play Paperboy.)

On the whole, though, I'd rather not trouble them with my choice in gaming. As long as I don't bother them about it, they don't bother me about it, and that's good enough for me. :mrgreen: Waiting for them to leave the house before I start playing shouldn't be much of a problem.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed May 13, 2015 6:53 pm

Well, all that aside, I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that you'll like this character. :P
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Thu May 14, 2015 5:20 pm

When I first saw that, I thought: "Wait, a cookies and cream youkai? That makes no sense..." Then I took a closer look at the description, and I wasn't sure whether to be relieved or disappointed.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Thu May 14, 2015 5:31 pm

We're talking about "sweet dreams," here. You can feel relieved. XD;;
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Fri May 15, 2015 6:36 pm

I suppose... although I'm more interested in the fact that the fandom's going to have one of the bosses sing "Yellow Submarine" soon enough.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri May 15, 2015 7:36 pm

Oh? Why would they do that?
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Fri May 15, 2015 8:06 pm

The second stage boss is named Ringo. As in the Beatles' own Ringo Starr. Not sure what the name's real meaning is supposed to be, but hey---I find it funny anyway. :lol:
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri May 15, 2015 10:52 pm

Ringo is apple. Apparently, she becomes stronger by eating dango.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sun May 17, 2015 2:01 pm

...Eh, not quite as funny, but I'll go with it anyway.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sun May 17, 2015 2:49 pm

I dash your dreams for anyone but Doremy Sweet! Mwa-ha-ha-ha-haaaa!
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Mon May 18, 2015 7:36 pm

You're not going to outrun me on that score, I'm afraid.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Games