When & what: first anime

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

When & what: first anime

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:13 pm

I was recently thinking about my background with video games, since I'd gotten an early start with them (when I was three... with E.T., of all games), and I wondered just how far back I went with anime. I don't think the Thundercats count, so I think Unico was the first anime I ever watched. I'm not sure of my exact age, but its during that time when I have very few memories, so I was probably no older than three -- two, at the youngest. I'm pretty sure of it due to collaboration with my mother, and knowing that my environment and circumstances around the ages of four and upward don't match what I recall.

So, yeah. What's the first anime you recall watching, and when was it?
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Re: When & what: first anime

Postby camk4evr » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:30 pm

If you include anime that was edited and/or altered for american/canadian tvthen it was probably Astroboy, Kimaba the White Lion, or Fables of the Green Forest in 1977-1978.

My first unmodified anime (aside from being dubbed or subbed) would be Ranma 1/2: Nihao my Concubine in 1996 (I think. Wheneverit was released overhere)
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:51 pm

I had mentioned just recently in a different thread For me early on anime would have been StarBlazers/Space Battleship Yamato, Macross/Robotech, Project A-ko, and Tenchi... later would be the likes of El Hazard, Vision of Escaflowne, Fushigi Yugi, and Saber Marionette, and thinking on it I believe that was about the time I watched Captain Tylor as well. Then after all those would be Ranma, Love Hina, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Outside a few lesser known ones mixed in with the above, most other stuff came later.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:02 pm

First anime was a mix of Voltron (aka Go Lion and Dairugger XV), the 1980s version of Astro Boy/Tetsuwan Atom and the Franco-Japanese production Mysterious Cities of Gold.

The first anime I watched when I started to realise that anime was a "thing" were Sailor Moon and Teknoman (the one adapted from Tekkaman Blade, and the "international" dub at that, the one that did the full 50 episodes rather than stopping half way through).
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby windstorm » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:22 pm

Pokemon was my first anime back when I was about 10. After that Digimon and Monster Rancher. I think it was probably Pokemon which made me interested in anime though.

There were three things that really stood out for me about Pokemon back then compered to other TV shows:
- It had a much more continuous plot line and story progression. Most North American cartoons were more the 'problem of the day' and 'villain of the week' style without a lot of plot continuity.
- I liked the art and animation style. I was never really a fan of the 1980s superhero semi-realistic style cartoon or comic drawings and I also don't usually like cartoons when they draw characters badly on purpose.
- I've always liked fantasy adventure stories. Something about the freedom of a young kid going off on a journey or competing in a tournament without parental supervision really appealed to me.

I found it kind funny because years later when I was talking with people about their first anime in high school or university. Most people didn't even realize Pokemon or Digimon were animes.
What is the true purpose of life?

WASTING TIME!!
windstorm
Senshi Candidate

Postby Scooter » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:41 am

Like the honorable Mr Heintz and the Knight of L-Sama, my first anime were Starblazers/Space Battleship Yamato and Voltron in the 70s and 80s (I preferred Go-Lion over Dairugger XV). Later Robotech (got into it late), Ranma, Area 88, Airbats, Jubei-chan
Oh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.

— Groucho Marx
Scooter
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:54 am

Honorable?

I did like 801 TTS Airbats, and it was one of the2nd group for me of the ones I listed, though a minor one.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:26 pm

I think Nickelodeon's Nick Jr. block had anime in the late 80s, but without looking I can't remember what it was or what it was called.

Otherwise, I'd have to say that my first anime was Sailor Moon, circa the summer of 1996. Even then, if Luna hadn't shown up on-screen while I was fiddling with an old TV in the garage, I probably would not have watched it.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:26 pm

It´s only recently i found out that it counts as anime, but i saw the "Once upon a time Space" (AKA "Ginga Patrol PJ", AKA "Il était une fois… l'Espace") both times it was aired here(once with original French speech and once dubbed(probably where i started getting my aversion to dubs from), first sometime 1982 IIRC.

Intentionally starting to watch anime? Around 2005 or 2006, Sailor Moon(i think)... :mrgreen:

Sadly, it´s only in the last 15 years or so that anime has gotten a bit more common here.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:28 pm

Three anime sorta happened to me at SF cons - Robotech, Tank Police, and The Adolescence of Utena. I may or may not have seen anime before then, but didn't pay attention. I also met The Rocky Horror Picture Show at a con.

The first two anime I went out and acquired were Utena (the 39 episodes) and Tenchi Muyo Ryo-oh-ki.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:08 pm

First anime series I can recall seeing was Star Blazers in 1979

I did watch episodes of Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman) but never regularly. same with Robotech.

I remember watching Captain Harlock on the French language CBC station (alas my French is not that great and so never understood more than a few words)

I would watch Sailor Moon with DIO when she was little (though she prefered watching a video of the original 101 Dalmations - again and again and again)

If you count earlier Japanese animated films, then Jack and the Witch ( a very trippy story with the memorable line "into the machine!") The Wonderful World of Puss 'n' Boots and Alakazam the Great, which a Bellingham, Washington, TV station would show on holidays during the 70's( along with other foreign children's films such as the dubbed live action Pippi Longstocking movies)
Director of Forum Arts and Culture
The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby LunaInverse » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:20 pm

First anime I ever watched was Ranma, the manga was introduced by a friend and using my l33t skills I downloaded it during school, I was 11 and in elementary school, my school network was supposed to have blocks on that but I shut it down so I could download it. The reason for using my school computers was my house only had free dial up from the public library, I didn't get better internet until I was 13 my parents where super cheap and didn't want to pay for internet until they had to.
LunaInverse
Senshi Cadet

Postby ckosacranoid » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:46 pm

1986 was robotech every day at 4:30pm. Voltron and transzore z from tv in the 80s.
Later it was ranma andvthe ditry pair for really known amine in high school about 91. I still have the news letters from that anmie club about that time that was though a college game group I was a member of while still a freshman in high school.
http://otakuracing.blogspot.com/
my blog for busniess and other things i do.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Anime / Manga