How many series before you call it a megacrossover?

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Including Polls, RPGs & Multiple Author Works

Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

How many series before you call it a megacrossover?

Postby slickrcbd » Sun May 03, 2015 6:23 pm

Just out of curiosity, if there is a large but discrete amount of crossovers in a given fusion/crossover, like say five different series, is it a megacrossover? How many series need to be included before it counts as a megacrossover?
If five is a megacrossover, what about four?
I think everyone can agree that a fusion or crossover blending three different series is still just a crossover and fusion, as I've seen plenty of Ranma+Sailor Moon+Other, or Buffy+Stargate+Other or Stargate+Harry Potter+Other or Charmed+Buffy+other. Those are just the five most common off the top of my head.
slickrcbd
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: How many series before you call it a megacrossover?

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sun May 03, 2015 8:18 pm

For me, it's less about number and more about incorporation. For instance, is it worth calling it a crossover with Tenchi Muyo if only one character from it made an appearance in only one chapter, regardless of their participation? I look for things like how much the series and its characters impact the plot and setting, and how little the settings and mechanics are brought together without contradiction or loss of integrity, especially through subsumption; the more that that happens, the more likely it's better to call it a fusion or alternate universe.

With that consideration, I'd say three or four series, at the very least. It takes two series to call it a crossover, three for plural/multiple, and four is double the crossover requirement.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sun May 03, 2015 9:20 pm

Going by the TVTropes definition of the term, a mega crossover (or massive multiplayer crossover, as they call it) has to involve more than two works of fiction.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon May 04, 2015 9:21 am

For me, it depends on how common crossovers are. Ranma - Tenchi - Sailor Moon is just a crossover. Even adding Ah, My Goddess would leave me thinking "crossover". If there are three worlds I'm not used to seeing together, it takes more mental work to make the story understandable. That's a mega.

Five are definitely mega, no matter what. Four stand a good chance of being mega. If there are three series, but they're compatible, it's a crossover. If they're not, it's mega. If there are two totally incompatible series (like Maria-sama ga Miteru crossed with Bastard!) I'm not sure what it is -- I don't need a definition because I'm unlikely to read it.

If there are several worlds, but only two of them make frequent appearances, I think it's a crossover.

Your mileage may vary.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Return to Miscellaneous, Polls, RPGs