PCHeintz72 Downloadable Fuku-Fics Listings/Wiki Suggestions

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Including Polls, RPGs & Multiple Author Works

Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Re: PCHeintz72 Downloadable Fuku-Fics Listings/Wiki Suggesti

Postby PCHeintz72 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:02 pm

Be aware of two things.

Unless it has come back up since my last check... MediaMiner.ORG is down. It has gone down and come up a couple times recently, but this seems more worrisome as it has been down more than up this last month. I mention this because if and when you do get to this, the MediaMiner links may no linger work when you go to check them. This affects 1 main page, 4 author profile links, and 3 story links. Not a lot in grand scheme of things.

Also, a couple stories for sure have been updated since I posted the report (I never figured on this much of a delay between its issuance and you using it), so you may want to let me know when you get to this so I can rerun the lists at that time so can let you know of which ones they are. That would only affect some of the metadata information though (date, chapter and word and size count, etc...), not links.

EDIT1: Still a bit astounded that for all the talk around the forum about updating the Wiki, this new section has generated so little traffic and commentary.

EDIT2: Well... for *now* Mediaminer.ORG is back up, uncertain how long. It does seem they fixed author pages and feeds, less certain at moment about other stuff.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:31 pm

Dang. I think those media miner pages are the only places those particular stories are archived.

Yeah, It's pretty funny how the demand for the wiki page lasted only until it actually got made.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:40 pm

I wish I could say I was surprised. Unfortunately I don't have access to my favorites here and I'm trying to finish a move so its nearly hypocritical for me to comment about it. I'm stuck unable to help right now. Not that I am sure anything I'd suggest isn't already in your lists. Thing is more people like to complain than help.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:18 am

Sunshine wrote:Dang. I think those media miner pages are the only places those particular stories are archived.

Well... MediaMiner as of a check just now is still up, hopefully it will stay up. My last tests though show that at least FanFictionDownloader.NET is having issues grabbing the stories, which implies either something changed on the site from back when still worked before it started crashing, or something is till broke on the site. But actually navigating the site seems possible, getting to and reading stories and profiles seem fine, as do direct links.

Fortunately, there are not actually all that many MediaMiner links on the Fukufics wiki. Or to be more accurate, not so much in the links I sent you, uncertain offhand how many are currently pointing to MediaMiner.. 'Sailor Goddess' and 'Trapped' and 'Paternity of a Princess' are linked to MediaMiner.ORG in my corrected links though. Most of the rest can be found elsewhere. I've not checked to see if those three can be found elsewhere.

Yeah, It's pretty funny how the demand for the wiki page lasted only until it actually got made.

Well... not the Fukufics Wiki page itself, but the new Wiki section on Fukufics to report stuff in error on the Fukufics Wiki... From the way everyone talked I figured you would be getting flooded with demands for changes, they seemed pretty insistent.

I wish I could say I was surprised. Unfortunately I don't have access to my favorites here and I'm trying to finish a move so its nearly hypocritical for me to comment about it. I'm stuck unable to help right now. Not that I am sure anything I'd suggest isn't already in your lists. Thing is more people like to complain than help.

I was not singling any one person out with my statement. I was expressing surprise over the situation as a whole as it almost seemed for a few days the entire forum was in a uproar suddenly about stuff wrong in it. Which I thought was being pretty unfair to Sunshine and LWF58. It actually prompted me to have a look and rip it apart just to see what everyone was going on about.

Sure I found stuff, but a heck of a lot of it was and still is IMHO minor... A lot of people don't seem to realize though, that unless it is gone through occasionally, over time, inaccuracies, bit rot, missed updates, and whatnot cause inaccuracies to build up.

In any case, the information and evaluation and report was already done and sent... I'm just waiting to see what if anything is done with it. Since I do not really use that wiki much personally, it is not really a big deal to me if it takes time to get to doing anything with it. I understand busy RL issues and conflicting priorities perfectly, as I have them myself.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous, Polls, RPGs