Ranko fics site has moved

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Including Polls, RPGs & Multiple Author Works

Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Re: Ranko fics site has moved

Postby jasonjkay » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:41 pm

dang, it worked for like half an hour and then nothing. I give up, sorry Americans, I guess you'll have to use the wayback machine to view the old site. Luckily I saved the last update so your not missing anything, it's just slow.
http://web.archive.org/web/20140228213037/http://rankofics.99k.org/
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:53 pm

I should note,

- tried it in IE with all updates, came up fine

I then loaded Avant, which has all three main browser engines in it.

- viewed the page in chrome mode, came up fine

- viewed the page in the dreadful firefox mode, came up fine

- viewed the page in ie11 mode, came up fine

- viewed the page in ie compatibility mode, came up fine

I'm in N.E. Ohio (yes, the one in the U.S.), and have a generic DSL internet connection though WindStream (no Merge TV option integrated, unlimited download rates, pure internet connection with no filtering or parental controls.).

I'm not willing to even contemplate loading the dreadeful FireFox on my system to test it directly, I loath even doing so indirectly through Avant, which is as close as it will ever come to pass.

HOWEVER, one item occurred to me.... in all modes and browsers, the site likes it popup advertising... it could potentially be your popup blockers.

EDIT1: To clarify, I used the original new site link for all tests, not the second one issued in later posts.

EDIT2: It also occurs to me, at least one person having issues is using a gadget level device... are all the other problem people using gadget level devices?

EDIT3: A final thought... the 502 gateway redirect. Since this is a brand new site, it could be that either the web addresses have not propagated yet, nor not all servers have accessed the newest acceptable valid address list yet to now where to go. JasonKay, if this is the case, for someone it does not work, if you could find out and have that person try the direct internet address instead, they should be able to get through if this is the issue, and if so, it should be only until the various servers update. If it continues more than a day or two... might want to check with the site and see if everything is properly registered with the authorities maintaining valid addresses.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:23 am

I'm not using a gadget. (Ick!)

I also disabled all of my pop-up blockers, but nothing changed. I guess I'll just wait and see if what was said with Edit 3 turns out to be the case.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:21 am

Maybe the internet hates you. Works fine for me.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:33 am

Both comxa and bl.ee work for me on an ancient Firefox-class browser, just like 99k always did.
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Vocaloid » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:56 pm

So I tried changing my settings for cookies, third party redirects and a couple other security protocols and I still end up with a 502 bad gateway error, so it's possible your free server hasn't fully set up your site yet, is not active for mobile devices, or has a past security issue from its advertisers that have yet to be removed or resolved. I'll try from my laptop and my home network this week when I get home.
Know Music, Know Life
No Music, No Life
Vocaloid
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:38 pm

The only link I am getting more than nothing on is the archive one on the top of P2 of the thread.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:43 pm

Same here. I get the host service page for the first link, and a blank page with "index of /" for the second link.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous, Polls, RPGs