Updating Ranko fics site, need help.

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Including Polls, RPGs & Multiple Author Works

Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Updating Ranko fics site, need help.

Postby jasonjkay » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:54 pm

Decided to change my Ranko fics site by splitting the crossover fics from each page to a seperate page, however the links are now a little ugly.

Ranma Chan
Crossovers
More GIrly
Crossovers
Split in two
Crossovers
All Crossovers

I need to rename the links to something else without it being too long. Each crossover page, is the page for the link above, so Ranko crossovers, girly crossovers, split crossovers and then All crossovers is a list organized by series. I would be grateful for any help, thanks.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: Updating Ranko fics site, need help.

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:24 pm

jasonjkay wrote:Decided to change my Ranko fics site by splitting the crossover fics from each page to a seperate page, however the links are now a little ugly.

Ranma Chan
Crossovers
More GIrly
Crossovers
Split in two
Crossovers
All Crossovers

I need to rename the links to something else without it being too long. Each crossover page, is the page for the link above, so Ranko crossovers, girly crossovers, split crossovers and then All crossovers is a list organized by series. I would be grateful for any help, thanks.

Wouldn't it make more sense to make the area two levels?

A top level split by :
- Non-Crossover
- Crossover

A level inside each (Non-Crossover and Crossover) for :
- Ranma Chan
- More Girly
- Split in two
- Unsorted
- All Other
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby jasonjkay » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:35 pm

I think I get what you mean.

Non Crossovers
- Ranma Chan
- More Girly
- Split in two
Crossovers
- Ranma Chan
- More Girly
- Split in two
Others
- All Crossovers
- To Add

Good idea, I'll give it a shot, certainly looks better from this quick mock up. Thanks a lot.

Edit: Made a quick change to the site and uploaded. Still looks a little off but much better than the previous attempt. Any more suggestions or tips are definitely appreciated and thanks a bunch PCHeintz72 as that really helped. Cant believe I didn't see it myself, it's so simple and effective.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:58 pm

jasonjkay wrote:I think I get what you mean.

Non Crossovers
- Ranma Chan
- More Girly
- Split in two
Crossovers
- Ranma Chan
- More Girly
- Split in two
Others
- All Crossovers
- To Add

Good idea, I'll give it a shot, certainly looks better from this quick mock up. Thanks a lot.

Edit: Made a quick change to the site and uploaded. Still looks a little off but much better than the previous attempt. Any more suggestions or tips are definitely appreciated and thanks a bunch PCHeintz72 as that really helped. Cant believe I didn't see it myself, it's so simple and effective.

Close, I was thinking more along the lines of:

Non Crossovers
- Ranma Chan
- More Girly
- Split in two
- All Other
Crossovers
- Ranma Chan
- More Girly
- Split in two
- All Other
To Be Added

This way, even for all other stories, you have the same consistent split.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby jasonjkay » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:26 pm

yea thats pretty much what I have no except for the '- All Other' line, as I don't have any page like that on the site. The other pages are 'All Crossovers' which is a simple list of every crossover sorted by series, and 'T'o Add' which is a list of all fics normal and crossover that I've not added yet and will be eventually removed once it's completed. Anyway thanks for the help, would appreciate comments of the look of the links on the left side of the website now, also comments on the link names and anything else anyone notices.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:16 pm

jasonjkay wrote:yea thats pretty much what I have no except for the '- All Other' line, as I don't have any page like that on the site. The other pages are 'All Crossovers' which is a simple list of every crossover sorted by series, and 'T'o Add' which is a list of all fics normal and crossover that I've not added yet and will be eventually removed once it's completed. Anyway thanks for the help, would appreciate comments of the look of the links on the left side of the website now, also comments on the link names and anything else anyone notices.

It seems inconsistent to me to have a method under other called crossovers and a separate main category, while at the same time not doing this functionality for the normal non-crosses as well.

How about this compromise:

Non Crossovers
- Ranma Chan
- More Girly
- Split in two
- All Non-Crosses
Crossovers
- Ranma Chan
- More Girly
- Split in two
- All Crosses
To Be Added

As a FYI... you use color coding which is fine if that is what you want, I actually prefer not to see color coding, but that is just me. Since you have text codes as well as color coding, I'm covered either way.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby jasonjkay » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:07 am

PCHeintz72 wrote:It seems inconsistent to me to have a method under other called crossovers and a separate main category, while at the same time not doing this functionality for the normal non-crosses as well.

As a FYI... you use color coding which is fine if that is what you want, I actually prefer not to see color coding, but that is just me. Since you have text codes as well as color coding, I'm covered either way.

I dont really have anything to put under the non crossovers to fill the '-All non crossovers' link your suggesting, so I stuck the 'To Add' link there, as that contains all the stories, normal and crossovers that I intend to add. The 'all crossovers' link was my original crossovers page which I made to show all the crossovers on the other pages sorted by series, not something needed for non crossovers. Once I split the crossovers into there own pages, I decided to keep the original crossovers page to show by series.

As for the color coding, I mainly used it to add a splash of color into a sea of blue, also it makes whatever is colored stand out more so you notice it. On the All crossovers page, you can just skim trough looking at just the red to see all the Ranma chan fics.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Miscellaneous, Polls, RPGs