Überpowerful Ranma or more down to earth?

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Including Polls, RPGs & Multiple Author Works

Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

How powerful do you prefer Ranma?

Über powerful.
No votes
Somewhere in between.
69%
Down to earth.
31%
Weakness moxibition.
No votes

Total votes : 13

Überpowerful Ranma or more down to earth?

Postby Noy Telinú » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:24 pm

Which do you like better? When Ranma is so powerful he feels superman or sayian like? Or when things are more down to earth and believable?

O_o
"Oh no! What haz happened? As you cats would say." Akane asked, horrified.

"Cats do not speak that way!" Luna yelled.

"Normal sucks."-Noy Telinú
Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Überpowerful Ranma or more down to earth?

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:53 pm

I like it when he has to use his head to figure out a way to win, regardless of how powerful/weak he is.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Gnudist » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:36 pm

what CPS said.
In her home in U'sagi dead serenity waits dreaming.
Gnudist
Moon Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:47 am

Unless a story specifically NEEDS something uber powerful, something less extreme is definitely far more preferable.

My vote goes somewhere both 2nd and 3rd option. Both are more workable and useful than 1st option. Both are more fun.
4th option is no fun >99% of the time.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:56 pm

Somewhere in between. Ranma of the manga was pretty damn powerful but limited himself in various ways (liked to beat them at their own games, rarely went anywhere near all out, played with opponents, had some other goal rather than directly taking his opponent out, etc.) I occasionally like an uber powerful Ranma but feel most fics don't do them correctly.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Blackcat101 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:21 pm

Is hard to write a story about a uberpowerful Ranma and make it interesting. I have planed a story where Ranma is rescued by a spaceship, gets a crystal stuck in his forehead and becomes as powerful as he should be at the end of the manga but being only ten years old. The fun is that he lacks the training to control all that power. So the rest of Ranma training trip won't be about becoming stronger, but about learning to control his power. The bad thing is that this is just after the neko-ken, so Genma is really scared of what Ranma will do if he gets cat-like...

Another option is to sent an uberpowerful Ranma to an universe where there are a lot of people way stronger than him, for example sent Ranma to the DBZ universe.
Blackcat101
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:23 pm

Blackcat101 wrote:Another option is to sent an uberpowerful Ranma to an universe where there are a lot of people way stronger than him, for example sent Ranma to the DBZ universe.
It really depends on how the writer accomplishes this... If the power creep is done over the length of the story, I might be interested. The problem is, I've seen quite a few stories which just make [Character] overpowered from cannon and then just adjust the world's power scale in the same direction to compensate, as the original 'big bad' just isn't a problem anymore without adjustment or replacement.

I do enjoy overpowered Ranma in situations that have nothing to do with said overpoweredness, like in comedy situations. An example would be some of the Timeloop like universes.

Hell, even in the cannon Ranma-verse, most of the entertaining dramatic suspense is more due to the limitations put upon Ranma, either self imposed or by others, which force him not to bring his full power to bare. An example would be the Rhythmic Gymnastics fight with Kodachi. If Ranma could just punch and kick his way to win the fight, it would have been only half as entertaining, if that.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:04 pm

I like Ranma to be more crafty and kinda a cheater than just ki blasts his way to win like so many fics. >_>

Because fights of him vs Herb are way more fun than fights of cut stomping the other person.

Which is why it irks me that most x men crossovers have him be so powerful that it's not funny. And that's not even counting when he becomes a mutant for no reason. And not just any mutant, no, but nullifier mutant. Seriously?

And if Ranma's a Senshi she's the most powerful a lot of the time...

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Blackcat101 wrote:Is hard to write a story about a uberpowerful Ranma and make it interesting. I have planed a story where Ranma is rescued by a spaceship, gets a crystal stuck in his forehead and becomes as powerful as he should be at the end of the manga but being only ten years old. The fun is that he lacks the training to control all that power. So the rest of Ranma training trip won't be about becoming stronger, but about learning to control his power. The bad thing is that this is just after the neko-ken, so Genma is really scared of what Ranma will do if he gets cat-like...

For a somewhat similar story of uber Ranma at younger age and learning control and taking place immediately after Nekoken... there are the 'Breaking Chains Saga' by TheGrum. Multiple arcs, covers large portions of him growing up in another land, with various martial artists teleported in for varying length of time for him to master their crafts and styles.

I love one of the introduction this altered Ranma gives to a more canon cast after Happosai made the mistake of summoning him to take care of canon Ranma.

"You reached for a more powerful Ranma, I take it? To defeat this one,
who plagues you, is that it? You fool."

"For know, ancient perversion, that I am the Dragon Lord Fey Ranma, Lord
of Fey Castle, Archmage of the Court of Farallon, Grandmaster of the Fey
and Saotome Schools of Anything Goes Martial Arts, Wielder of Dragon
Fang, Bearer of the Dragon Armor, Beloved Blood Child of the Dragon Lady
Alana," okay, those are the regulars, beefed up a bit, now let's see how
far I can take it, how long I can keep spouting titles before somebody
blows up, "Master of the Crystal Rose, Adept of the Shining Darkness and
Master of the Seven Senses, Founder of the Eleventh Dan of the Tai Chi
Chuan, Protector of the Joketsuzoku, Brother by Blood to Prince Herb of
the Musk, Ally to Saffron, Lord of the Pheonix, Twice Chosen Heir of
Grandmaster Happosai, Dragon-Father to the Dragon Lady Nabiki," oops,
that looks like Nabiki in the back, and damn is that ever a stunned
expression, "Sole Heir to the Chumino Dragon-Scale School of
Weaponsmithing, Master of the True Neko-ken," looks like that one hit
Ranma, guess he must have been put through that too, "One Soul in Three
Bodies, Master of the Tapestry of Worlds, Touched by the Hand Of Death,
Servant of the Fire That Burns Beyond All That Is, Slayer of the Demon
Neshreth, Once Born Yet Thrice Unborn, Walker between Worlds, Victor
over the Curse of the Waters of Jusenkyou," oh, boy, that one hit them
hard, can't stop on that, need some more, "Sensei of the Unseen Master,
Vanquisher of the Huntsman of Lord Ereth," man, they all just look kind
of glazed, even Happosai. Heh. "Graced with Divine Gifts by Virtue of
the Defeat of the Lords Arkus and Fey, the Swiftfang, Wolf-Friend and
Pack-Brother to the Clan of the Howling Moon," man I was really
expecting somebody to interrupt me by now...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Blackcat101 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:47 am

Noy Telinú wrote:

I actually played with that: In fukufic 101, Ranma past self is very powerful, but Ranma past self is also an alternate personality and a manipulative bastard . So Ranma doesn't just curb stomp every enemy because A) He is not an official Senshi B) He discovered that other personality was manipulating him. Also is Ranma past self who had all the magic training, not him, so Ranma has yet to learn to use magic on his own.

Some stories justify as more powerful Ranma by having him get different type of training since he was younger.

My idea for a Dragon Ball crossover is just have a 18 year old Ranma in girl form, being asked by a kid with tail if he wants to meet master Roshi, Ranma of course doesn't' reject the offer, And so Ranma ends being trained by master Roshi together with Goku and Krillin. Turn out Goku didn't find Lunch cause Ranma had just defeated her minutes before. After all, this would be the Ranma after the failed wedding, so he would be as powerful as Goku was at that point of the story (But Goku might be stronger) so it might actually work. Ranma doesn't' know about the dragon balls yet, and only learns about them after the tournament.
Blackcat101
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Cheb » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:03 am

I modified it such a way that Sailor Sol can only purify something with fire. If she has to purify something without destroying it, she's stuck. While Akane does only have a weak purifying, non-damaging attack on par with Mercury's mist. Would be a perfect team if Akane wasn't so hopelessly Lv.1 in Senshidom.

I mean, Mercury got a mean AOE dispel/purify, Mars does have a secondary complimentary power of jamming evil magic with her paper seals. Venus got an useful tool that could be used for climbing and grabbing. Neptune has a tool granting her True Vision that pierces through any illusions. Even Moon's Lv.1 Tiara has a non-lethal purifying mode. And against all that Ranma gets what, tons of firepower? Useful, yes. When you face Gojira. But when you are attacked by nanomachines, enchanted bees or a genjutsu master? In a crowded mall full of civilians? Not so much.

I mean, look underneath that "Überness". Is it really a game breaker? Or is author simply unable to come with scenarios suitably perpendicular to that power?
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:51 am

It is very hard to write a (good) story if the protagonist is so powerful they cannot lose. That happened to Superman long ago. They had to invent Kryptonite and a vulnerability to magic to get the stories working properly again.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spica75 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:03 am

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:It is very hard to write a (good) story if the protagonist is so powerful they cannot lose. That happened to Superman long ago. They had to invent Kryptonite and a vulnerability to magic to get the stories working properly again.

There´s also the option of "you can´t save everyone/the one you want" scenarios. Where the level of power doesn´t matter at all.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:36 pm

Which is the superman movie we need.

A movie going into the psychological horror that despite his speed, streaghth, and so on, superman can't save everyone and blames himself.

As for the sailor moon ones, it's what is in fanfics that we are talking about. In fanfics, Ranma when a Senshi is usually THE most powerful or right up there. And fights way better than any of them. Although that last bit makes sense, the power part doesn't. Even when all the Senshi are über powerful Ranma seems to one up them on überness.

And that's not even saying HOW he gets the powers. I remember one where he just looks at a moon of another planet and grabs the power from it. O_o

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Miscellaneous, Polls, RPGs