Unusual stories

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Including Polls, RPGs & Multiple Author Works

Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Unusual stories

Postby WG_Writer » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:36 am

Have you ever went randomly looking for a fic and found something that had that kernal of potental; yet you knew deep down that that particular crossover, that particular divergence, or that particular SI/mary sue just wouldn't fit nor could it work. I am not saying that these fic ideas must be bad by default (And no offence to any writer) but some stories you just scratch your head and wonder the simple quuestion of why? I do not want to outright bash fics here. So if you are going to post please make some points in its favor, if only to show a level critique and not a simple sucks.

Here is what made me start this thread:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9005837/1/Primus-s-Blessing

To sum it up:
SI - Check (written in first person) as a sibling to Sam (I think) in the new Transformers movies
Impossible pairing - Hmm a human girl carrying Optimus Prime's child... - check (might have missed something but the summery says this???)

Odd cross... I am sure there is some back story here and it says its a sequal to another story... but crossed with Nanoha... Honestly I am not sure there is a contest here, yes the Transformers are big and bad, but StrikerS Nanoha is able to level a city if she really gets at it. And the biggest transformers on either team are cities... Right... Ahem... Even if Nanoha doesn't kill in one shot, who ever she is fighting WILL feel it. Keep in mind also that Nanoha has taken hits and given hits (*cough* Vivio *cough*) that should not be survivable as these have blown clean through a lot of armor.

hmm

IF we followed the 80s cartoon there was a machine that could turn a transformer Human... so child thing IS possible (not plausable though), I will bite that (I have not read this fic as the writting is a bit hard and the idea is a bit beyond my normal taste with the SI)
Mixing Transformers with Nanoha.... Well there is a deep seated warm fanboy feeling I have for imagining Starscreem getting hit with a Starlight Breaker... So yes I can accept that cross...
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Re: Unusual stories

Postby Dumbledork » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:44 am

A machine that could tranform a robot into a human? Are you sure?

Because I clearly remember an episode where one of the Autobots was transformed into a human through a magical spring and fell in love with a human woman.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:54 am

ya I remember the story, it was a subtle GI Joe cross. Well was subtle as the 80s were anyway.

It was Season 3 Episode 23 "Only Human"

Victor Drath has had enough of the Autobots ruining his plans. He secures help from a mysterious man named Old Snake in making for the beginning of a deadly plot against Autobot City. A sneak attack disables Rodimus and his comrades. Then, they are surprised to wake up in artificial human bodies. Drath and Old Snake intend to finish them off and strike the city with the Autobots' own robotic bodies. Lacking their usual weapons and abilities, the Autobots must get by as humans and foil their enemies' plot to destroy Autobot City in order to regain their bodies.

Note: The Decepticons are not in this episode.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:OnlyHumanlineup.jpg If you remember the 80s series much I'd ask you to guess who was who but....
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Makoto » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:53 am

Actually, I believe the episode Dumbledork is referring to is the Season 2 episode, "Sea Change." http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Sea_Change

WG_Writer: As I recall, in "Only Human," the technology didn't physically change the Autobots, just (more or less) transfer their minds into Synthoid bodies. I could be wrong, though.
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:37 pm

There was a fan fiction story done years ago that I've never been able to forget that fits... read it on MediaMiner... had some 6 or 7 chapters...

Megatron, though means unknown, had been turned into a human, thrown into the NGE universe, given a jacket with Decepticon symbols.. Not knowing what to do he decided to explore his humanity, get Rei Aananmi as a girlfriend, and affectionately calls her Fleshbag...

Bleagh...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby XofderXofder » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:14 pm

I read the first chapter of that Transformers fic out of curiosity. The writing isn't that bad but the way it's done makes it feel a bit weird. It's hard to describe but it just feels too.. normal. Her reaction to it is normal, her fears are normal and everything just seems to be accepted as.. normal. It didn't exactly entice me to read on. I think it's safe to say that those fandoms aren't normal, they wouldn't be nearly as cool if they were. I mean she is apparently pregnant from a mecha and all she's worried about is that he might think she cheated on him. I would've thought the whole 'how did this even happen?' would have taken priority but meh, it's briefly mentioned then glossed over.

I don't know it just doesn't seem to fit somehow. I think if that actually happened or would be way more outrageous and insane, not all of this normal stuff. Nothing particularly wrong with it I just find the normal weird.
You can only look up when you notice you've been looking down.
XofderXofder
Senshi Cadet

Postby WG_Writer » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:30 am

I agree the writting itself wasn't terrible, just bland and with a questionable plot mix because of the blandness.

While I do agree that done properly anything can be done any cross can work... I just don't know about this one.

Here is another one:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7325006/1/Through-the-Looking-Glass

Harry Potter - Alice in Wonderland cross where Alice was a split personality... right... It was trying to be something darker, a true AU, although the tone and pacing was way off. Worse was Alice was an SI clearly maybe even a Mary Sue, hard to say really. Why add Naruto jutsus? Does Harry Potter really need to learn Kage Bushin?

While the writting needed work in the beginning it did seem to get better. I think if it kept the Harry Potter/Alice in wonderland cross it would have worked better but when Harry started studying Naruto Ninjutsu, I felt the meshing broke. Despite the writing the entire thing still was interesting, somewhat...
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Return to Miscellaneous, Polls, RPGs