Don't fanfiction readers like originality?

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Including Polls, RPGs & Multiple Author Works

Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Re: Don't fanfiction readers like originality?

Postby Spica75 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:58 pm

Cheb wrote:In this particular case, not intervining Ranma's world line tightly with the straw hats' world line is a *bad* thing.
If he's not with them, he's somewhere else. And you have to build/detalize the OP world around him. All by yourself. That's a lot of work, a mighty challenge, and people could doubtful if you can pull it off.
What's worse, OP is far from finished, OP has a very interconnected universe vital parts of which weren't uncovered yet, and in going away from the Straw hats' worldline you have a very real risc to running head first into contradicting canon as something important is revealed a the nearest future. Cue all the alternate theories about the nature of Kyuubi written before Juubi and Rikudo Sennin were revealed. Granted, some of these are really good fics - but would you take responsibility for your fic *suddenly* turning to be an AU?

Running the character crossing over off the tracks is an arduous task. It often requires to have as much skill for expanding the universe details as the original author does have.

That is actually an irrelevant question. If you have an idea for a story, why should you change that idea in the middle just because something that came out later contradicted something in your idea?
It just isn´t realistic to try and write like that. And i´ve seen far too many excellent fics turn really bad because a writer tried to change the story to adhere "better" to canon.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:32 pm

Drawde wrote:We are reading fanfiction here. There has to be SOME canon in there, or else we end up reading original fiction. Most of the time, when reading fanfiction you don't want to run across a story where the only canon is some names. But if the story is too close to canon you might as well read the original.

I *have* seen stories that do this well... though they are exceedingly rare.

Take for example "On a Clear Day You Can See Forever" By Mark Mackinnon... It has Sailor Senshi in it, it has them as reincarnated from moon Kingdom, and it has Ranma... virtually everything else is different.

I still consider it a fantastic story. and despite no updates in years, i still read it on occasion.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:50 pm

I'm not sure Mark has the ability to update it after losing the host. Even the guest book is functionally down.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:19 pm

Spokavriel wrote: I'm not sure Mark has the ability to update it after losing the host. Even the guest book is functionally down.

I was not mentioning that in light of it being a currently updating story, merely as an example on one that is extremely AU yet for at least some quite a good read.

i do hope something is worked out so it can be continued, but in all honesty... I'm doubt ful and sad that it probably will not...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:41 am

Fans whine about everything, that's why we can't have nice things and why Lucas sold Star Wars.

Some want things as close to canon as possible, others want it as far from it as possible, some just want it to make sense, and others don't care as long as the pairing is "right".

But yes, these complainers are complaining about not sticking to the stations of canon. Some feel like you have to do this as everyone else does. (not really but 90% or so do.) and are afraid of the new.
"Oh no! What haz happened? As you cats would say." Akane asked, horrified.

"Cats do not speak that way!" Luna yelled.

"Normal sucks."-Noy Telinú
Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:22 pm

My stance on originality? If the source material was already funny, then I like the thought of either pushing it a few steps further or taking it in a direction that no one expects, least of all me. If it wasn't funny before, then I make it funny. Far as other peoples' stories go, if it makes me laugh, I don't care if it's original or not so long as it's not plagiarized.

That being said, I have great respect for canon materials, and when I write fanfiction nowadays I do what research I can to make sure that the story's background is as accurate as possible. If I'm going to deviate from canon, I want it to be deliberate, not accidental.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:20 am

I agree. I feel like writers should do their research to make things make sense.

For fanfiction that means trying not to contradict things or be crazy wrong. And for regular fiction, that you keep the things withing acceptable breaks from reality so that people will get in the story... and make sure you keep track of your own continuity.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:30 am

In Add-venture that means READ BACK TO THE FATE SPLIT. Too many stories get submarined by someone adding parts that would be impossible given the fic so far.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:36 am

Aint that the truth.

"Oh, lets add ___."

and then you go ? since ___ died 20 episodes ago...

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:42 am

It gets worse. There's a story that has been taken down that started off with the nuclear destruction of China. Some dingbat came along say 15 chapters into it and had the Phoenix and Jusenkyo or Amazon and Musk village related options for all the fate split possibilities. Oh and forgot to give the courtesy of a Something Else option.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:51 am

:roll:

Continuity is something i like a ton... so to have that be terribly done... ugh...

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby talonhunter » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:00 pm

If its not canon, it's fan fiction...That means (to me at least) if you've placed character a in anime d you are no longer in the canon universe. I personally like it when ideas mesh out in different directions. Chaos theory in its purest form. It takes a story in new directions that leaves a lot for exploration. The best example of this to me is ST:NG...during a time loop, the crew discovers they are repeating a series of events. And each time they try to understand what happened and do different things to try and correct the problem. That's what fanfiction does. It takes different looks at situations and different solutions. Sure I like original stories, but applying the same fix using a different character from somewhere else is just a retelling of the same story with a different actor is all.
Who needs the light when the shadows are so much more...Playful

Senshi of Dione (Saturn IV)

=^*^=
Come see some of the crew here
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:46 pm

talonhunter wrote:If its not canon, it's fan fiction...That means (to me at least) if you've placed character a in anime d you are no longer in the canon universe. I personally like it when ideas mesh out in different directions. Chaos theory in its purest form. It takes a story in new directions that leaves a lot for exploration. The best example of this to me is ST:NG...during a time loop, the crew discovers they are repeating a series of events. And each time they try to understand what happened and do different things to try and correct the problem. That's what fanfiction does. It takes different looks at situations and different solutions. Sure I like original stories, but applying the same fix using a different character from somewhere else is just a retelling of the same story with a different actor is all.

Yes, I agree. Which is what I try to do, really. The complaints seem to be that things that shouldn't logically happen due to changes happen anyway because canon did so.

For example, if Ranma shows up as a guy, he's not getting engaged to Akane most likely, yet, it happens or expected to happen in fanfics.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous, Polls, RPGs