Things you really don't care for in fan-fiction

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Including Polls, RPGs & Multiple Author Works

Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Things you really don't care for in fan-fiction

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:36 pm

The things you don't care for can be for technical or personal reasons, objective or subjective, specific or general, and all that good stuff. Y'know, whatever. If you don't like it, that's good enough for it to be applicable.

Anyway, I'll start with one of the things that I don't like. It really turns me off. And that's when one or more characters become a mouth piece for the author and however they feel about other characters in the series, to attack them and/or defend the one they're speaking through. An example of this would be Ranma saying something like this to everyone:

Ranma: "No, let me finish! No one ever gives me a chance to explain myself and I've had it!"

Which is basically the author saying: "Hey, you can't treat this character like that, you no good, fictional punks!"
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Re: Things you really don't care for in fan-fiction

Postby Noy Telinú » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:42 pm

A thing I don't care for in fanfiction is creating massive plot holes without any attempt to justify it.

Like Ukyo's father being behind Ukyo' decisions of beating up Ranma a little before falling for him or that Ranma never dressed as a girl post manga when he clearly did so often you have to be blind to not notice.

This is why I ask so many questions about SM. I don't want any contradictions. Sure, I'm writing a fusion, so some things get retconned by definition, but I'm trying my best to keep within how things work.

To see the big stuff be ignored so badly makes me think they just didn't care.
"Oh no! What haz happened? As you cats would say." Akane asked, horrified.

"Cats do not speak that way!" Luna yelled.

"Normal sucks."-Noy Telinú
Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby jasonjkay » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:18 am

Fics written in script format, normally I cant stand them and just close the browser. I think the only readable one ive found is by Jeffrey "OneShot" Wong, Ranma 1/2: The least one can do.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:30 am

Self inserts. 'nuff said.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby jasonjkay » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:43 am

Notes, I hate it when you read something and then the author has to put notes in to explain something about what you just read (like this). A good author will explain in the actual story and thus not need the notes or just place the notes at the end.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:45 am

jasonjkay wrote:Fics written in script format, normally I cant stand them and just close the browser. I think the only readable one ive found is by Jeffrey "OneShot" Wong, Ranma 1/2: The least one can do.

I've written some pretty good fics in script format. It was the thing to do, because I was working on a comic. My writers' group enjoyed them, and so did the one publisher I sent them to, but only one of them made it into actual illustrated form. (They're on my website, under fiction -- the 'Supers' section.)

But it only works if you can think that way. A lot of writers can't.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:22 am

The problem is allot of the fanfics out there in "Script" format don't actually give a full script. They use it as an excuse to leave out all but the barest location info no thoughts and just what is spoken out loud. Think Our Town where everyone stays sitting at their school desk instead of interacting with the few props of folding chairs and planks of wood.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:36 am

Spokavriel wrote: The problem is allot of the fanfics out there in "Script" format don't actually give a full script. They use it as an excuse to leave out all but the barest location info no thoughts and just what is spoken out loud. Think Our Town where everyone stays sitting at their school desk instead of interacting with the few props of folding chairs and planks of wood.

That's not a script -- it's a skeleton. There are skeletons out there. I just don't read them. I save my venom and bile for MST3K versions of stories I haven't read.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Dumbledork » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:00 am

Gratuitous Japanese (there's even a trope for it, I noticed)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... usJapanese
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:58 pm

jasonjkay wrote:Notes, I hate it when you read something and then the author has to put notes in to explain something about what you just read (like this). A good author will explain in the actual story and thus not need the notes or just place the notes at the end.

As you noticed my author notes are less explaining stuff and more goofing off and saying what could have been, interacting with the readers, and answering reviews.

That is much more fun I think.
Dumbledork wrote:Gratuitous Japanese (there's even a trope for it, I noticed)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... usJapanese

Agree! I remember reading one of my first few fics in Ranma and Genma was called Oj by Ranma(not the exact spelling, but it seemed like that) and it affected the fic. Not to mention all the hai, gomen, and other words that are thrown in for no reason.

People that do this... We don't care if you know some Japanese, STOP PUTTING IT IN THE FIC! I have no idea what is being said at times! The only way this makes sense at all, is if they're speaking English to an English speaker and this shows their accent, or screwing up. Then have people notice it!

"yes, hi, now get back to work!"

"Hai."

"Yes, hi... Stop goofing around!"

"hai."

"Stop that! You already said hi to me!

Like that. (thanks NarUto spoof comedy show!)

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:37 pm

As someone who uses some Japanese words... Neener, neener, neeeeeeeener~! :P

I don't use a lot, though. Only the lazy can really complain with the ones I use, for the most part. I can understand being annoyed with substituting English for Japanese however and whenever possible, rather than for things distinctly Japanese, but I think it's silly when people complain about it when there shouldn't be a problem after the first time. I mean, once you learn it, if you have a problem with it in the future despite its usage then it's a personal problem and not a technical one.

Personally, as far as Japanese in dialogue goes, aside from words like "itadakimasu" I'd reserve using Japanese words for characters where it expresses said character better. For example, currently I'm beginning to consider having Kasumi use "ara," or "ara, ara," instead of "oh (my)," or "well, well" and "my, my." To me, the English just isn't doing it for me. I blame Alicia from Aria, who just doesn't sound or read quite right in the context when it's English.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:43 pm

A couple of Kasumi's oh my moments were also ano not always ara. but they decided to just keep it as oh my each time.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:27 pm

Saying Oh My is better I think.

Words that can't really be translated could include the chan and kun and sama stuff like that. But to have every fifth word be Japanese pisses me off!

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:57 pm

I'm leaning the other way. I just don't hear English-speaking people use that kind of interjection very much unless they're from a different era (aka "old folks"), and "oh my" isn't as flexible in the various contexts that Kasumi uses "ara" or "ano" in.

That I also think "ara" sounds cuter has nothing to do with it. Nope. <_<;

Oh, hey, no one's mentioned character-bashing yet. Maybe that's because it's so expected? XD
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:00 pm

Akane is bashed the worst though.

I don't mind it, if it makes sense. Calling out Genma and getting back at him makes sense since Ranma is pissed at him, and KASUMI called him out once.

Others, not so much. Except happy.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Next

Return to Miscellaneous, Polls, RPGs