Ranma Chan Fanfics Webpage

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Including Polls, RPGs & Multiple Author Works

Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Re: Ranma Chan Fanfics Webpage

Postby khammel » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:26 am

Noy Telinú wrote:Yes, but it still destroys the character, laughs at the idea of lesbians being possible, changes the persanity so much that it's insulting to transexuals, says that being born a girl will make you girly despite evidence to the contrary in abundance, still has Ranma's childhood be horrible and now for naught, Genma gets away with all of that for turning him back into a girl, something that disgusted Ranma is now what Ranko swoons over (being with Ryoga), despite girly Ranko was a nightmare for Akane in canon, she welcomes it and becomes best friends even though she should still be angry, Ranko becomes so pathetic that she is scared of being alone and is so damn submissive that I fear she will be raped, and lastly, Nodoka and others FORCE her to be girly in that beginning "resistance" phase.

The declaration of womanhood made me sick that I couldn't finish it and I skipped to the end to make sure thongs would be right. THIS fic killed something inside me. The voices that I keep saying fill this head? Yeah, THEY went haywire! I was FLOODED with ideas and anger that it has been over two years and I'm still not fully healed.

The worst part was that I realized that this was seen not as a tragedy, but as a good thing.

I have vowed to fix the damage that this has caused to myself and the world. It ended up taking a few months to realize that fanfics can be written well.

Whoever this guy is, he just didn't care.

First off, Deborah Goldsmith is a woman who works at Apple (at least in the early 2000s). I have this from unimpeachable sources who I have complete faith in, one of whom met her several times for lunch. I feel her plot is a possible direction to go with this scenario. Now, I will grant that it is more in the "It is possible that the sun will explode tomorrow" range of events than the much more likely "The sun will rise tomorrow" possibilities. Know that the fic was extremely polarizing on the FFML and that Ms Goldsmith was subjected to flames and hate e-mails... as well as praise.

I realize it was a heartbreaking direction to take. My suggestion is to write a story that is counter to it, like I started to. Heck I even sent my story to Ms Goldsmith and Mr Pardue. And they admitted it was a potential direction for the story to go.

Always remember there are myriad directions stories can travel. You're a creator... create a universe where this story goes the 'right' way if you care enough about the direction others took.

"Destiny's Intersection" was incredible motivation for me to write my own version of events after "Lines of Destiny". Writing my own continuation has made me feel a lot better, even though it garnered a profanity-laced 'review'... to go with 5 nice ones. Such is the nature of things. :)
khammel
Senshi Cadet

Postby jasonjkay » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:19 am

Wow, Genma's daughter really sparked so negative emotions. The way I see fanfiction is that it can either take what happened before (Cannon) and continue afterwards. Or it can change some things and see what changes compared to Cannon, a what if story. Many crossovers would fit in this section, what if Ranma went to this world or met this person. Well in this case it's what if Ranma was born a girl and Genma changed her into a boy? Well if you look into transsexuals, they are unfortunate people who feel desperately that they are born into the wrong body, such as men desperately needing to be come women. This is something they are born with and cannot help, however the need to be the opposite sex can have varying levels some needing it more than others and so some try to control it by doing something overly macho like joining the marines.

Now if Ranma was born a girl and then changed, well I could see how he could then become like the transsexuals and desire to be a girl and not really understand the desire and overcompensating the macho martial arts jock. So when he finds out the truth and accepts it, it's not a quick 'oh im a girl, lets wear dresses' it took some effort on Ranma's part to fully accept thus the angst at the beginning however when she does accept who she is she quickly becomes happy with herself and so the fic turns lighthearted.

Oh and as for Ranma not being a lesbian, I believe that sexual preference is both environmental and biological in that some people are borne with same sex attraction and cant help it, while others are born attracted to the opposite sex and learn to love their own sex instead.

Finally before anybody thinks I have anything against transsexuals or gays, I have nothing but respect for these people who are persecuted for something they cannot help and that has no effect on anybody else but themselves. I think anybody who hates people who are different are petty minded bigots and they are the ones who should be discriminated against, Oh and Im neither gay nor a transsexual. Im just a normal guy who doesn't like bullying for any reason.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:58 am

Genma's Daughter is only half of the story. You have to read Equal Halves to see two universes play out against one another.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby khammel » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:11 am

jasonjkay wrote:Now if Ranma was born a girl and then changed, well I could see how he could then become like the transsexuals and desire to be a girl and not really understand the desire and overcompensating the macho martial arts jock. So when he finds out the truth and accepts it, it's not a quick 'oh im a girl, lets wear dresses' it took some effort on Ranma's part to fully accept thus the angst at the beginning however when she does accept who she is she quickly becomes happy with herself and so the fic turns lighthearted.

Oh and as for Ranma not being a lesbian, I believe that sexual preference is both environmental and biological in that some people are borne with same sex attraction and cant help it, while others are born attracted to the opposite sex and learn to love their own sex instead.

The 'problem' "Genma's Daughter" had was that it was based on canon. It is pretty much canon that Ranma fell for Akane quickly, I subscribe to the school he (she at the time) did in the dojo when the offer of friendship was made. The way Ms. Goldsmith dodges this is with a modification to canon that Ranko and Akane were childhood friends. The meeting in the dojo reawakened that bond, and was mistaken for romantic love. Mr. Pardue's version was very short and has no backstory like that. It can thus be asserted that, based on her reaction to Akane, Ranma is a lesbian. Again, this is absent the childhood friendship of the two girls Ms. Goldsmith added to Takahashi's canon to allow the plot of "Genma's Daughter" to proceed.

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:Genma's Daughter is only half of the story. You have to read Equal Halves to see two universes play out against one another.

I am specifically discussing the scenario of "Genma's Daughter" and the changes made to canon for it to work. "Equal Halves" (which I like a lot) really has no bearing on that.
khammel
Senshi Cadet

Postby jasonjkay » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:29 am

khammel wrote:The 'problem' "Genma's Daughter" had was that it was based on canon. It is pretty much canon that Ranma fell for Akane quickly, I subscribe to the school he (she at the time) did in the dojo when the offer of friendship was made. The way Ms. Goldsmith dodges this is with a modification to canon that Ranko and Akane were childhood friends. The meeting in the dojo reawakened that bond, and was mistaken for romantic love. Mr. Pardue's version was very short and has no backstory like that. It can thus be asserted that, based on her reaction to Akane, Ranma is a lesbian. Again, this is absent the childhood friendship of the two girls Ms. Goldsmith added to Takahashi's canon to allow the plot of "Genma's Daughter" to proceed.
That's one of the things I was referring to when I was mentioning the types of fanfiction, many fanfics make a change and write how it affects the story. In this case the change is Ranma born a girl, which changes her reletionship with Akane as Nodoka took her to play with other little girls so she met Akane as a kid and became sisters. When Ranma is changed into a boy his feelings about being a girl are still there just forgotten. I can easily see all this as a logical conclusion of what might have happened if Ranma was born a girl and so I have no problems with it and actually enjoy it.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:54 am

jasonjkay wrote:That's one of the things I was referring to when I was mentioning the types of fanfiction, many fanfics make a change and write how it affects the story. In this case the change is Ranma born a girl, which changes her reletionship with Akane as Nodoka took her to play with other little girls so she met Akane as a kid and became sisters. When Ranma is changed into a boy his feelings about being a girl are still there just forgotten. I can easily see all this as a logical conclusion of what might have happened if Ranma was born a girl and so I have no problems with it and actually enjoy it.
I see it as NOT a logical conclusion AT ALL! Thats my beef with it!

How can it? Its saying that logically, being born a girl is all that matters and 12 years of being male and training and everything just didn't matter anymore into shaping the person we know? Experiences define us for the most part, throwing that all away and saying it doesn't matter is so wrong that I'm sick! Combat veterans don't just forget or get over how they changed after battle, abuse victims don't go back to how they were once abused like that, sexual attraction doesn't just reverse itself like that, and a person doesn't begone that girly and pathetically rape-able unless they are suicidal or dead inside.

It's not logical at all and as someone who studied gender and sexuality for years it makes me nauseous thinking that it does for some.

Oh yeah, it was Debora...

That's not the point, when I see things based off canon, you can't ignore the core parts of it as if it never existed! Especially if your story starts mostly through it!

I say sexual orientation is biological with the environmental only coming into play if it is borderline or chemical involved to push it one way or the other. But it is more flexible than not.

"oh, they weren't really in love THAT way, they were just really great friends that was awakened" Bull. One, this ignores so many things that happened between books one and twenty including the ice skating and the cheerleading among others and two, Akane lost the boy she loved either way. Either A, Ranko doesn't have feeling for her anymore, leaving Akane heartbroken or B, that Akane lost her fiancé, the one she loved if not openly and have to see the girl who took his place EVERY DAY. Tell me that's not dark.

I only give equal halves enough credit to show how stupidly ooc the other universe is and to be THAT off, then more needed to be seen how canon was different and start that fic earlier than Nodoka arriving to make sense. Because jumping into it like that means everything before is canon that we saw in the manga and/or anime, which wasn't explained how to fix the plot holes or contradictions.

Plus, EH also showed what a pathetic excuse of a person Ranko had become. While I know some girls that are THAT pathetic, most I know either fake it, or are traumatized.

It's a punch to the stomach because it says "everything you saw in canon was a lie" and then it laughs at it.

No matter how I look at it, I can only see the thing that caused me this much rage that I vowed to never pair Ranma with a guy. Yeah, it was THAT bad. But normally, things this bad are written terribly, where it can be laughed off, not this. I felt everything I cared about being ripped away as my favorite character became a shell of her former self. It didn't help that to calm my anxiety of the declaration of womanhood, this fic is the first thing I found. Not a smart idea, but I didn't even know what fanfics were until then.

The biggest kicker is that it's now posted on fanfiction and has more favorites than my most favorited story.

I'm NOT sorry, but that fic is the most hated fic I've ever seen and it makes me rage.

Hey, where's CP? I want to see THAT reaction to this...
"Oh no! What haz happened? As you cats would say." Akane asked, horrified.

"Cats do not speak that way!" Luna yelled.

"Normal sucks."-Noy Telinú
Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby jasonjkay » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:04 am

I think we should agree to disagree, you hate that fic, I love it. Maybe we should move on and never mention it again. We've gone a bit off topic and I'll consider this topic closed untill there is something relevant to the webpage to post here. Still it was cool having a debate like that.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:06 am

Well, is the website fixed? It looked that way when I looked at it.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby jasonjkay » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:11 am

Noy Telinú wrote:Well, is the website fixed? It looked that way when I looked at it.
I think so, at least all the file sizes look correct and not half there like it was when I was having problems. I was getting hosted files only half uploaded and web pages only half viewable. Still I think it's fixed,and if not leave a message and I'll fix it as soon as possible.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:25 am

Did you figure out what caused it? That's a good idea so it doesn't happen again.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby jasonjkay » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:41 am

I have no idea, a lot of internet stuff confuses me and while I am reasonable with a computer I am not good enough to figure something like this out. Just have to hope it doesn't happen again.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:56 am

Best to do a check on your computer for viruses and such.

That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby jasonjkay » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:01 pm

Noy Telinú wrote:Best to do a check on your computer for viruses and such.

That's all I can think of, at any rate.
Checked with two anti virus programs at all times. Don't want to infect anyone else with my uploads so I check them too.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:22 pm

That's good...

Its good to see more updates!

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby jasonjkay » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:37 pm

Noy Telinú wrote:That's good...

Its good to see more updates!
Well when I first started the website I think I was just starting to get fed up of reading Ranma fics and I slowly moved onto Harry Potter fics totally. For the past few weeks ive given up Harry Potter almost completely and switched back to reading my old Ranma fics which ive mostly forgotten thankfully, which means I can enjoy reading them again and keep updating the site. I was in a bit of a sailor moon mood for a few days so I added quite a few crossovers to the site.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous, Polls, RPGs