Ranma Chan Fanfics Webpage

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Including Polls, RPGs & Multiple Author Works

Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Re: Ranma Chan Fanfics Webpage

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:43 pm

That's good to hear.

I've been stuck on Ranma 1/2 for two plus years without break!

I'm enjoying myself, but damn if it isn't draining!
"Oh no! What haz happened? As you cats would say." Akane asked, horrified.

"Cats do not speak that way!" Luna yelled.

"Normal sucks."-Noy Telinú
Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby jasonjkay » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:52 pm

Noy Telinú wrote:That's good to hear.

I've been stuck on Ranma 1/2 for two plus years without break!

I'm enjoying myself, but damn if it isn't draining!
I think I first started reading Ranma fics around the end of 2006. A friend of mine introduced me to the manga which I enjoyed and then I found fanfiction and I got me and him hooked. He moved onto Naruto fics and me to harry potter but like I said Im enjoying reading them again and even in the time when I wasn't reading them I still read a Ranma fic every now and again.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:47 pm

Noy Telinú wrote:Hey, where's CP? I want to see THAT reaction to this...

Huh? What? Wait, am I supposed to do a, "HULK SMASH," or something? Where's that blasted script...

Well, I'm not exactly sure what you're expecting from me, if I'm the CP of mention. Still, if we're talking about Genma's Daughter, I can understand how many readers will not look beyond the pretty package. Really, it's unlikely anyone but canon Nazis would outright hate it, and even then if for no other reason than for something as superficial as the context (such as simply pointing to the fact that a gag comedy that rarely takes things seriously isn't an angsty drama).

I can understand why Goldsmith wrote what she did, but like many authors may not have understood how fundamentally things are changed when the presented scenario is taken out of its natural context; or, perhaps, she knew but didn't care -- but that is neither here nor there. The thing is, many of the characters in Ranma 1/2 can only be who they are because they are in a gag comedy, and without it they are forced to be shaped into someone they're not.

However, that's not the only problem with the Ranma being portrayed in Genma's Daughter. A common problem with stories that amp up the seriousness and drama factor forget to take into account that the characters didn't develop and/or live out the original story in such an environment, and things can only go more wrong for a character's integrity the later in the series the fan-fic takes place. For Ranma, if he could be summed up as an element, this meant transmuting him from a lively flame that stubbornly fed on what fuel it could find to stay alight to the still and shallow waters of a puddle.

If there's ever one fundamental characteristic of Ranma that should never be stripped away from him, it's his tenacity in the face of adversity. At times he may despair and feel lost, but always is he keeping his mind and senses open for something with which to renew his fight. We've already seen this in action when his strength was taken from him, which is arguably the most important thing to him. Even after multiple failures, to the point where his one and only hope seemed lost, rather than resign himself to a lifetime of weakness he began his search for a cure to his condition anew.

Now, one can argue just how much importance Ranma places in the sex of his body, but we also have examples where he wasn't fundamentally demoralized when he was stuck as a girl. In fact, in the case of the events surrounding Herb, Ranma found it more important to try and return to Akane alive as a girl than to die for his birth sex. In the case of his lost strength, one should be reminded that he couldn't bear living with Akane like that, much less with the thought of her accompanying him.

I've read a lot of transgender fiction over the years, and from experience (including personal) I can tell you that Goldsmith made a lot of typical errors in logic. Such writers, even those who are transgender themselves, make a lot of assumptions based on social stigma, stereotypes, personal beliefs and what they fantasize about. One of the most typical assumptions is how a male -- particularly one who places a lot of value in his manhood -- reacts to becoming female (whether they were originally born that way or not).

As that relates to transgender fiction, such assumptions are usually forgivable, as such behavior tends to be attributed to the character before they're changed. The problem with Ranma is that he already has an established history, and examples of how he might react to being stuck as a girl or born as one, but Goldsmith doesn't seem to acknowledge them at all. However, even then, I can understand what kind of reasoning inspired it, even if all of it is based on assumption.

Despite all of this, I think Goldsmith's biggest mistake was in trying to rationalize Akane's and Ranma's romantic attraction as actually being sisterly feelings based on barely-remembered (if remembered at all; I forget) experiences, which is just all sorts of intelligence insulting. Worse than that, however, was how little the majority of his experiences as a man, and then those as a part-time girl, essentially played no role in deciding what he would do with himself and his future as a girl, as if they were worthless/irrelevant. Even in terms of his environment, where he's a martial artist surrounded by so many female martial artists who are far from being examples of traditional girls in terms of behavior and physical ability, it just doesn't make any sense.

I have nothing against Ranma being or becoming more feminine and girlie, but as with all readers who need to be convinced that something is believable, I find this to be another example of pink slime: an attempt to make something of substance, but why would you want to consume something so contrived in the first place?
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby jasonjkay » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:19 pm

Ok I get it, its a bad story and I should slap myself for reading it. Now im going to go cry in the corner and sulk as my favorite story is torn apart and its ugly flaws are clearly exposed to daylight .
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:21 pm

I never said it was bad I said it is definitely DARK. and the Author really went overboard in making Ranma's perfection in movement from martial arts rob her of her ability to emote in playing the violin after all the other crap she went through.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:45 pm

jasonjkay wrote:Ok I get it, its a bad story and I should slap myself for reading it. Now im going to go cry in the corner and sulk as my favorite story is torn apart and its ugly flaws are clearly exposed to daylight .

That wasn't the message I was trying to convey. Clearly the story in question is a decent to great story to a number of people. There's nothing wrong with having different standards, since we're all out looking for the kinds of things that we enjoy, which not only can differ but doesn't necessarily entail any kind of deep or thorough analysis.

If you like the story, then that's all that matters. Opinions from a jaded person like myself do not. I just felt like expressing what I thought about the story since it seemed like someone wanted me to say something anyway. *Shrugs*
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby jasonjkay » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:00 am

I was just having some fun, I still think its a great story and I can see what you are all getting at when you say it's dark and an unrealistic change from cannon and all that. I accept and respect all your comments, even Noy Telinú who absolutely detests the story apparently.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:24 am

Well, if you like absolutely terrible Ranma-chan stories, then keep an eye on this topic for updates and other things. Or just watch my site or my account at FF.net. Whichever works. Hopefully I'll get my butt into gear and crank out some more Ranma-chan stuff, which will be good for me (I guess?) and bad for anyone else who happens to encounter them.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:17 am

Yep, the thing I hate most in all of fiction. Fan or no.

Sorry, I just do.

But who cares what I think, if it makes you happy, then it makes you happy.

Maybe I should thank it anyway, it DID get me into fanfiction and made me determined to do Ranma 1/2 justice.

So... Yeah.

It's my biggest berserk button, ok everyone? Alright? Good.

I think it's taste differences, you don't see many of the stories as dark, I do.

It's not like I hate Ranma chan stories, I WRITE THEM! But I'd prefer them to still have humor in it and keep Ranma... Ranma in personality.

Seriously though, most of your fics at your website are DARK.

Sorry for making you sad though... Hug? >)^_^)>

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby jasonjkay » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:01 am

Yay a hug, looks both both ways for jealous fiances to attack, oh wait Im not Ranma that a relief. Anyway yes I can now see a lot of the fanfics I like are dark. Some I realized were pretty dark when I read them like most of the split page however quite a few dont seem dark to me after reading the truly dark fics and getting used to the dark style used in many Ranma fanfics and yet now I think about it they are pretty dark too However like I think i might have mentioned before, the manga and Anime had some dark aspects which seem amplified in fanfiction as they had more humor to cover the darkness.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:07 am

Yes! Hugs makes stuff better! >_<

Yeah, Ranma 1/2 is dark if you think about it or remove the humor.

Problem is, I LIKE humor and it's because they are so humorous is why I fell in love with this series so bad!

I end up putting humor in my fics just by accident. I'll brighten up that site! :D

Even my darkest fic that will come out soon will have humor. It's just what I do.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:08 am

I like to work it from all sorts of angles. :D

Wait, that didn't come out right...
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:58 am

I always put humor in the things I write. It's not an option. (My specialty is humorous technical writing, and I can back that up.) I don't write lemons -- I've tried. You're not supposed to laugh during the climax.

But that said -- unless I work at it, I consider Ranma 1/2 dark. It pushes too many of my buttons. I prefer wit. Ranma is slapstick -- the Three Stooges, with sex-changing and harem for spice. Nuh-huh. When I write Ranmafics, I try to untangle some of that.

I like Genma's Daughter. It does a good job of untangling. But what it untangles is exactly what many people are looking for in a Ranmafic. Obviously, that gives rise to divergent opinions.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Noy Telinú » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:09 pm

When I read a darkfic, I can enjoy it if it makes sense.

It's a "I can see that happening. Seesh that sucks." type of thing.

But you can't ignore the previous canon. It's what many dark fics do.

You can still have a Ranma locked darkfic, but to make sense Ranma still has to be Ranma. That means stubbornly fighting the whole thing the whole way. And not getting to depressed. That's Ryoga's thing.

Lastly, Ranma adapts. It's what he does. When life gives him a terrible childhood, he finds a way to still be happy. Sure, Ranma could accept after fighting for a long time that he won't get unlocked, but if he's going to be a girl, he's going to be the girl he wants to be dammit! This would probally make him a bigger tomboy then anyone else... But still ends up outgirling them all for fun or ice cream. He won't like it, but he will adapt.

There's this theme that Seems to be "Ranma locked = mind becomes a girly mess and she bevomes a new person". That really bugs me.

And the other characters won't force Ranma to be girly. It's just not in character. They'd be down on it too.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:40 pm

Noy its clear, the points, all of them in that last post. Have already been made repeatedly this thread. Why post them again?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous, Polls, RPGs