Ukyo's chances as a solo fiancee

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Including Polls, RPGs & Multiple Author Works

Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

If Ukyo was the only 'official' fiancee, would Ranma marry her?

Yes
46%
No
23%
Maybe (Provide reasons)
31%

Total votes : 13

Re: Ukyo's chances as a solo fiancee

Postby toushin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:18 pm

I wrote a topic that’s currently in the read only section that would be perfect here.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5995

Ukyo is the only fiancée who has never attacked these weaknesses, while Akane and Shampoo attack them constantly, given the chance to shine she would be the perfect wife for him.
toushin
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:52 pm

Not really. While her interest in Ranma is there, like a lot of characters she tends to think of herself and her needs first, sometimes to the point where she can't even see that her actions would do the complete opposite of what she hopes to get out of them

I always got the feeling that she only goes that direction when she "temporarily derails from reality" so to speak, dreamy, overexcited or giddy etc...

Heck, nearly everyone is selfish in that series.

Very much so yes. It´s probably part of why Ukyo tends to not seem so bad, as compared to several, she isn´t.

Ukyo is the only fiancée who has never attacked these weaknesses, while Akane and Shampoo attack them constantly, given the chance to shine she would be the perfect wife for him.

Mmm...
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:43 pm

Once again the only problem holding them back from being with each other is Ranma seeing it.

And yes, Ukyo doesn't attack Ranma's self esteem or his fear. Heck, she's RARELY angry at him after she found out it wasn't his fault for the whole ditching her thing. This is where the cannon of Ukyo listening to Ranma's problems comes from, Ukyo WOULD listen and be a shoulder to cry on so to speak if Ranma would do that. He likes being with her, the food, and she really only smacks him when embarrassed, which is better than the other three.

Akane punts him into the sky.

Kodachi paralyzes him.

Shampoo occasionally turns into a cat to get back at him.

Ukyo... Slaps him a bit. That's it. And far less than the others.

AND, she doesn't blame him nearly as much as the others. She KNOWS that when something happens it's not his fault (usually) and doesn't go all rampaging on him.

It's just sad that Ranma just doesn't see her in that way.
"Oh no! What haz happened? As you cats would say." Akane asked, horrified.

"Cats do not speak that way!" Luna yelled.

"Normal sucks."-Noy Telinú
Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:08 pm

Ukyo was still angry with Ranma about ditching her, never once saying or thinking that she no longer faulted him (at least partially, since it wasn't just Ranma) for it, up until she was called cute. And like the other girls she gets angry and/or jealous and hits him throughout the series, or carelessly hits him on other occasions because he's not important/special enough to take notice of. She may even mistreat Ranma more often than Shampoo in those ways, because unlike Shampoo he prefers Ukyo's company over hers.

She may not seem as bad as the other girls, but that's likely because she doesn't have as many opportunities as the others to do the same things, which (aside from taking advantage of his ailurophobia) she does. Simply put: you can't hide the pig behind the lipstick. If you're going to pull the diamond out of the rough, do it in fan-fiction rather than try to apply it to canon.

toushin wrote:I wrote a topic that’s currently in the read only section that would be perfect here.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5995

Those aren't the only weaknesses that can be taken advantage of, though. Such as those typical of guys when it relates to a girl. And she's played those cards before.

Also, how perfect can she be for him if the first thing she envisions is enjoying a fantasy of being married to a weak Ranma, assuming that that's what he would want, instead of realizing that she shouldn't entertain such a thought because it should be obvious that he wouldn't like remaining weak and would rather have help restoring his strength.

Spica75 wrote:I always got the feeling that she only goes that direction when she "temporarily derails from reality" so to speak, dreamy, overexcited or giddy etc...

Nope. Often enough she's lucid.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:33 pm

I'm not saying she's PERFECT. (I find perfection boring) I just say that I like her with him the most out of them and would be most compatible.

Yes, her opening scenes were a bit... Nutty and selfish, but she doesn't hold it to him after that. And she is civil to Akane! Friends even! :O

Really, she's the nicest teenager after Kasumi.

And yes, she fantasizes that, and the gambling king, but she also helped on both occasions as well, remember? She's a nice girl. Housing the Tendos after being kicked out (stupidly), knocking Ryoga out with a mallet once he got troubling, GENERALLY not trying to kill people (Nabiki asks for it, and Hinako... Well, ok, you got that one) and behaves much more civil-ly than the others.

HONOR!

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:31 pm

Nope. Often enough she's lucid.

Didn´t say or mean she wasn´t lucid, just that she seems to daydream or something a bit at the wrong times.

and Hinako... Well, ok, you got that one

Ehm, can you hold it against anyone to try to get at Hinako? :mrgreen:
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:36 pm

If you know her no, not really.

But they didn't at the time. (first time) maybe. I think.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:56 pm

Hinako was also a victim of being in the way of their mutual love interest, even though she wasn't. Though it's understandable that they would jump to that conclusion based on Ranma's actions.

Spica75 wrote:Didn´t say or mean she wasn´t lucid, just that she seems to daydream or something a bit at the wrong times

I can't say that I can think of any such occasions. Her daydreams tend to occur when she's not in the middle of anything, except possibly while making okonomiyaki. Ryoga and Kuno are the daydreamers of the series, though, aren't they? :P

Noy Telinú wrote:I'm not saying she's PERFECT. (I find perfection boring) I just say that I like her with him the most out of them and would be most compatible.

Yes, her opening scenes were a bit... Nutty and selfish, but she doesn't hold it to him after that. And she is civil to Akane! Friends even! :O

Really, she's the nicest teenager after Kasumi.

And yes, she fantasizes that, and the gambling king, but she also helped on both occasions as well, remember? She's a nice girl. Housing the Tendos after being kicked out (stupidly), knocking Ryoga out with a mallet once he got troubling, GENERALLY not trying to kill people (Nabiki asks for it, and Hinako... Well, ok, you got that one) and behaves much more civil-ly than the others.

HONOR!

You can't sway me with that! Most of the characters swing back and forth between being civil and violent (or simply irrational), nice and mean. Ukyo is certainly no exception.

If there's no one between Kasumi and Ukyo, then that's a pretty large gap. I would expect at least Tofu and Cologne in there. And I say that despite the "teenager" qualifier, because it makes no sense to have it.

And Nabiki asked for it? Really? Ukyo's the one that threatened Nabiki in the first place, then accepted what Nabiki had to offer in self-defense. Nabiki was in no way threatening anyone in any way; her only "crime" was being in the way. (In fact, Ukyo's reasoning for doing it was because she assumed that Nabiki wasn't a fighter like Akane and thus could be threatened, which puts into question if she would be on such friendly terms with Akane had she not been able to handle herself in a fight.) It became a problem when the other girls arrived and fought over Nabiki's offer, until Shampoo's suggestion to kill her was made. And just like that, she realized it was a good idea and was of the same mind as Shampoo and Kodachi.

I know Ukyo's not perfect. I know she's not the worst. But I find it a stretch that she's so much better than the other girls who are interested in Ranma. Maybe she is better. If so, then not by much. There's only so much in the way of being better that I am willing to believe, and I actually think it's a disservice to portray her character inaccurately in order to make her look better than she is. She doesn't have to be better to be paired up with Ranma, considering which of the girls in canon he's interested in, who is arguably (opinions will vary) the worst among them if not second to Kodachi.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:04 pm

Not by much, perhaps, but more then Kodachi for sure, Shampoo YES, and Akane I'd say yes. So yeah.

The only adult (Japanese style, ie over 20) I trust is Tifu... And he tricked Ranma...

Now if girls from another series cane in, it could get bad for Ukyo... Or better. Depending on who.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:08 pm

Ehhh... by some of the reasoning in this thread, one could almost make a case Kodachi is the nicest of all the fiances...

After all, when Ranma is in male form, it could be argued that paralasis is not actually hurting him, and she only does it to keep him in her presence... he has proven after all he tends to run (we can guess why of course). Akane has done worse, Shampoo has done worse... it can even be argued Ukyo has done worse, she has after all hit Ranma when complimented by him before...

Female form is a different matter entirely, but that could be a matter of simply getting her to recognize they are the same person... whether she would maintain her feelings after learning that fact is a question.

Of course... even were one to imagine a match between Kodachi and Ranma, there would still be a ton of stuff to overcome, but authors have done it in the past. So we know it is possible.

Just saying...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:10 pm

Kodachi tried to rape him. End of story.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:10 pm

Problem with the proven he would run theory. the Paralysis was imposed at their first meeting.

Edit: Kodachi had never met Ranma as a male before that moment.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:16 pm

Uh huh.

First meeting, he eaves her from falling off the roof (it's his fault, but...)

She wakes up in his arms and hits him with the powder, goes in for the kiss to thank him, saved by Akane, Ranma us still paralyzed for a while.

Before that, she snuck into Akane's room and tried to mallet her. -_-' (why isn't SHE mallet girl again?)

Shampoo planned to kill Akane, wiped her memory, and attacked Ukyo.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:41 am

Noy Telinú wrote:Kodachi tried to rape him. End of story.

We actually do not know that the scene on the roof would have gone that far...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:44 am

See it in a legal way.

X paralyzed y with powder and moved in for a kiss.

That SCREAMS drugged rape. Seriously, if it was a guy doing that to a girl, people would yell.

Heck, that thing with the skating was bad in canon.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous, Polls, RPGs