Ukyo's chances as a solo fiancee

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Including Polls, RPGs & Multiple Author Works

Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

If Ukyo was the only 'official' fiancee, would Ranma marry her?

Yes
46%
No
23%
Maybe (Provide reasons)
31%

Total votes : 13

Ukyo's chances as a solo fiancee

Postby Konsaki » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:00 pm

The following hypothetical situation of:
    - Ranma is separated from Genma, either temporarily or permanently before reaching the Tendo's and meeting Ukyo
    - Ranma rejects Soun's declaration of an engagement arrangement between the fathers as not being legit due to no Genma
    - Shampoo being 'legit' as per canon is optional
    - Ranma being cursed is optional

Would Ranma marry Ukyo, deny her or something else?

I only ask because she really doesn't get the face time in the Manga compared to the other girls and in most fanfics she's 'Like a Sister' or stuck in the 'Best Friend' catagory.
So, if we stack everything in Ukyo's favor, what would Ranma do?
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Re: Ukyo's chances as a solo fiancee

Postby PCHeintz72 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:11 pm

I can see it either way though... but like Kodachi, Ukyo does not get much in the way of fanfiction centered on her... A pity as I like both.

Most Ranma/Ukyo matches that are not multi matches or harems... have generally bad things or dark things needing to happen to them to drive them together.

'Nocturne' by Aondehafka comes to mind.

'Descent' by Brian Randall

Heck... even a some of the multimatches need that, like 'Purple Haired Destiny' by Ryan Anderson which in the end has Ranma/Ukyo/Shampoo leaving Nerima together after Ranma nearly kills himself trying to stop Nodoka from killing him due to honor. Or 'Nabiki's Honor' by Cloud-Dreamer... Or 'Unfair Warning' by Brian Randall.

There was one that comes to mind though... where he ran off with Ukyo as kids and skipped out on Genma... That seemed like it was good... but was not continued. It was an AA thread called 'Kiddie Adventure' by juandelacruz.

Another sort of was a Pokekits one, where they met up with Ukyo... the Pokekits with Ranma liked her, and had no problems with sharing... though they tended to cause Ukyo problems...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:16 pm

I vote a definite "maybe". She's a good cook, and a good friend, and honor supports the match. On the other hand, she's a good friend. The circumstances will have to be different for her to be the sole fiancee in sight; with any luck, the biggest difference will be that Genma isn't there.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:29 pm

If by "stack in Ukyo's favor" you mean that the circumstances are such that there's nothing that could get in their way toward building a relationship expected of a couple that will one day marry, that hypothetical stuff you offered is far from ideal and the first two don't even make enough sense to me. However, if I simply imagine little in the way of trouble, I'd still say "maybe." If the past isn't changed, they're going to start off on the wrong foot, and I'm not sure if the circumstances would be right for the "cute" comment to factor in or that the fiancee status would be reinstated and whatnot. Ranma wasn't all that hot on getting married to begin with, and doesn't seem all that interested in living a life centered on a restaurant and such.

It's possible, but I think that it would take time in addition to having the circumstances be fairly right.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby jasonjkay » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Ok my brain is totally stuffed with fanfics so im probably going to get these points wrong. Im saying maybe as fanfics have bought me to view Ranma's first meeting with Akane and she offering to be Ranma's friend as the relationship defining moment that keeps drawing Ranma back to Akane as well as the fact that he lives with her.

Ukyo however Ranma cant remember at all until reminded and he thinks she's a boy and when they first meet Ukyo is trying to get revenge on Ranma and Genma for abandoning her which sort of paints her negatively, however she does become friends with Ranma and without Akane around he might grasp for Ukyo's friendship instead and develop feelings for her like he did Akane.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:41 am

So, if we stack everything in Ukyo's favor, what would Ranma do?

Probably get together with her for good. Eventually.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:29 pm

Ukyo's my favorite fiancee and I ship her when I can. There are huge roadblocks though. But a smart writer can get around them.

First, Akane. He's too attached to her by the time she shows up. By having Ranma get separated and not make it there, then you solve this.

Second, friendzone. Unfortunately, Ukyo is in the friendzone. Ranma just sees her as his good buddy from years ago. This is really hard to solve, but can be fixed by being the first girl that shows affection for him. THAT can really turn the tide. If Shampoo comes after Ukyo or somehow doesn't beat her to it, Ukyo's chances skyrocket! Remember how Ranma nearly fell for Shampoo even though she tried to kill him? That can work for Ukyo if she beats her to it. Of course, saying that the curse is fun and rather accepting of it could be a help to if it's the first positive thing anyone done to him since getting it. With enough time, enough isolation, and a few things going Ukyo's way it could work out very much.

One idea I had was that Ukyo caught up to them in middle school with Ryoga and Ukyo settled her differences with him and let word of the engagement. Then she fails to follow them to China. When they get back, Ranma decides that if he's going to be engaged to someone, it would be better for it to be someone he likes (even as a friend) than some stranger. That's when Ukyo knocks out Genma when Genma knocks out Ranma with Ukyo seeing the girl be attacked by a panda and helping.

With Ranma in Ukyo's care, Ranma decides he could deal with a fiancee for the time being and just waits it out with Ukyo instead of trying to go with Genma.

I have said, that whoever goes first wins in this. After Ranma is in puberty though.
"Oh no! What haz happened? As you cats would say." Akane asked, horrified.

"Cats do not speak that way!" Luna yelled.

"Normal sucks."-Noy Telinú
Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:11 pm

Second, friendzone. Unfortunately, Ukyo is in the friendzone. Ranma just sees her as his good buddy from years ago. This is really hard to solve

Actually not that hard. Comparable example, my cousin was 100% "in the friendzone" regarding the woman who is now is wife since several years. She simply had a serious talk with him and then they got married. :mrgreen:
They had shared two apartments for almost 10 years before that(both had jobs in the same area), and the one time i asked if they were a couple during that time, his reaction was something "eh, say what?", completely oblivious.

Of course, saying that the curse is fun and rather accepting of it could be a help to if it's the first positive thing anyone done to him since getting it.

Something like that probably makes a HUGE difference if it comes ahead the other fiances and that mess.

When they get back, Ranma decides that if he's going to be engaged to someone, it would be better for it to be someone he likes (even as a friend) than some stranger.

Marriages between friends tends to be VERY stable and are often those that lasts.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:28 pm

Which is sad that the friendzone exists.

Friends for years without concidering each other for a relationship. Or rejecting it due to fear of ruining friendship or that they're just friends. Those who become friends first and then married are the lucky ones I agree. Which is why it is disappointing that Ukyo isn't with Ranma.

Ranks actually LIKES Ukyo. He likes being around her and they get along the best.

I heard that the story was tweaked because Rumiko was scared that Ukyo could do the friend route too probable as someone Ranma could go to vent and relax away from Akane.

*sigh* oh well.

I pair those up when I can.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:56 pm

I wonder if the friendship really counts/works for what is being considered since Ranma thought it was a guy-guy arrangement, on top of the two being separated for a decade.

This reminds me that I recently figured out a way to get these two together without changing much. I should probably write up the beginning after I finish the other thing I'm doing...
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:06 pm

Ah, but aren't those kinds the ones that can work very well? I know some guys that are in those relationships and love it because it's basically having a friend with boobs!

Besides, I think it's more of a guy friend/girl that is a friend but acts like a guy so you forget she's a she relationship.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:47 pm

I don't see multiple choices with varying degrees of probability.

My answer is 40%

She is too obsessed with her art and too self-centered on her own dreams.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:50 pm

Cheb wrote:I don't see multiple choices with varying degrees of probability.

My answer is 40%

She is too obsessed with her art and too self-centered on her own dreams.

Isn´t that a lot of fanon?
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:30 pm

Not really. While her interest in Ranma is there, like a lot of characters she tends to think of herself and her needs first, sometimes to the point where she can't even see that her actions would do the complete opposite of what she hopes to get out of them (such as trying to murder Nabiki, whom Ranma was protecting, as if being successful would endear him to her). She imagines/fantasizes about him working with her either at the restaurant or with a cart, assuming he has any interest in that sort of lifestyle/livelihood. Or when he was made weak, her first reaction was to ensure him that she would take care of him rather than understand that he probably didn't like the idea of being weak and would like to reverse it, in which case she should have jumped in immediately to help him, not herself.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:44 pm

Heck, nearly everyone is selfish in that series.

Akane and Ranma are the only ones in that love mess who don't try to obtain their love goals.. mostly because they're denying them.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Next

Return to Miscellaneous, Polls, RPGs