Ranma a Genius?

Talk about all other fiction in this forum.

Ranma a Genius?

Postby HopeSeiketsu » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:02 pm

I have been reading inverted spectrum and noticed Chikage, I was tryint to remember what she was like as it has been slightly under a year since I read the manga and decided to check the wikia.

Well after seeing her abilities I thought she was like ranma. And if you think about it if Ranma was able to use his immense intellect tha he shows in combat to every day life and school doesn't it seem like he could be a true genius. I mean really he is a genius in his specialized field that being anything martial arts related. His seeming stupidity is not because he is dumb but because he is IGNORINT. I mean because of genma EVERYTHING that is not martial arts is useless and as such not worth thinking about. Just tell me what you think.
HopeSeiketsu
Senshi Cadet

Re: Ranma a Genius?

Postby LawOhki » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:18 pm

HopeSeiketsu wrote:I mean because of genma EVERYTHING that is not martial arts is useless and as such not worth thinking about. Just tell me what you think.

That this statement about Genma is wrong.

Ranma overall is casually intelligent. He's not a genius so much as he's highly intuitive in understanding how things work. Would likely excel in any area that requires a lot of hands on work but would have less interest in theory work.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Blackcat101 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:39 pm

Funny you should mention Ranma as a genius.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=8287

my fic Astronomical is basically "What if the hit on the head didn't make Ranma think he is a girl, but to rationalize things instead?"

Yes, Ramna jumps a bit too fast to conclusions, but is based on the information he has and could get.
Blackcat101
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:19 pm

If he really was a genius, he wouldn´t keep acting so bloody stupid so often. Even a genius 100% socially inept would be able to figure more out.

His seeming stupidity is not because he is dumb but because he is IGNORINT.

Not good enough, he fails to notice things even the most basic perception should.
No, he´s not dumb, but he´s also nowhere near genius as a general description.

Would likely excel in any area that requires a lot of hands on work but would have less interest in theory work.

Maybe not anything and everything, but yeah, he would probably be able to do any practical stuff at least decently, and be good with much of it.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:02 pm

Spica75 wrote:If he really was a genius, he wouldn´t keep acting so bloody stupid so often. Even a genius 100% socially inept would be able to figure more out.

"Genius" is insufficiently defined. Somebody with Asperger's syndrome (which has recently been defined out of existence) can be a genius at some things, and a dolt at others. Sheldon, from Big Bang Theory, is a depiction of that. Hell, I can do that myself. There are very few universal geniuses; most of them specialize. We don't have that many Harlan Alltrades, to use Larry Niven's example.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Blackcat101 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:47 am

My definition of Genius is "Someone that due to talent and or hard work, is exceptional at doing something."
Blackcat101
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:18 am

Blackcat101 wrote:My definition of Genius is "Someone that due to talent and or hard work, is exceptional at doing something."

In which case, Ranma is a genius. But he's a martial-arts genius; we still have to see if he can apply that to other things. There, he is handicapped not only by Genma, but also by Takahashi.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Blackcat101 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:25 am

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:In which case, Ranma is a genius. But he's a martial-arts genius; we still have to see if he can apply that to other things. There, he is handicapped not only by Genma, but also by Takahashi.

Hence why we have fanfics!

Ranma has show talent at acting, but has not really trained that skill, he would have to rein his massive ego first. Actually is possible for Ranma to learn any skill as long as includes martial arts in it. I have seen a few fics take advantage of that to teach Ranma things that otherwise he would have trouble learning.
Blackcat101
Asteroid Senshi

Return to Fiction Discussion