Ranma opposes Crystal Tokyo

Talk about all other fiction in this forum.

Ranma opposes Crystal Tokyo

Postby Knight of Ranko » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:17 pm

seen this trope in enough fics, I dont think I've seen a one, in fics where hes present at crystal tokyo and not violently opposing it.
Knight of Ranko
Senshi Candidate

Re: Ranma opposes Crystal Tokyo

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:53 pm

Sorry, but from your wording in post vs. wording in thread title, I'm confused as to exactly what you are wanting in this thread.

Were you looking for reasons for Ranma not to oppose it? Hype from those for or against Crystal Tokyo aside, it actually makes sense from a pure plot standpoint he would oppose it... not because of any belief he would or would not as a character inside a story do so, but from the standpoint that it creates a conflict be it moral and/or physical and/or philosophical, and allows the story to have something to draw in readers.

Or were you looking for stories where he is not opposed to it? In that case it is more a matter for a thread in the search section.

If it was a discussion on the merits of Crystal Toyko and exactly the events leading to it... that has been debated innumerable times already in other threads.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:48 am

I *do* remember one where he's in CT and doesn't like it, but isn't "violently opposing it". No idea what fic it was though...
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Knight of Ranko » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:22 am

seen it come up a time or two where hes opposed to it.

to the point where Setsuana Decides to try turning him all girl in mind and body, to retroactively prevent his interference.

Is this a safe guess as to where this trope comes from?

Authors who have a dislike for crystal tokyo in the first place, And wanting the Martial arts master to lead the way for humanity.
Knight of Ranko
Senshi Candidate

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:28 am

Really thinking you are reading too much into contrived conflict. Without something for Ranma to fight what point is there to having him/her there?

Maybe a Multicross having Jurrians attack or something since a clearly alien to earth (as far as they can tell) kingdom has frozen the world, made them lose contact with their crown prince, and who else would they have to blame?

So the Senshi seek out people who can fight on this level without magic since somehow Jurrians aren't effected by the magic attacks, since they deal with purification of evil entities, but not so useful against good honest aliens?

You really have to reach for contrivances at times just to have Ranma have something to do.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:54 am

Really thinking you are reading too much into contrived conflict. Without something for Ranma to fight what point is there to having him/her there?

Problem is that it´s usually poorly and blatantly contrived. So even if some logic background was properly created, it still manage to feel contrived.

For example, if the one Knight of Ranko is referring to is the one once started to read, well lets just say that it went weird with extreme prejudice and then took a turn towards stupidly bad and i just shook my head and quit reading because no matter what, noone could have rescued that story back to something decent.

The senshi in general and Setsuna in particular becoming ever more and more inexplicably antagonistic and stupid.
I´m not sure i´ve seen the setup work out well more than maybe once or twice without the source of conflict being something more or less accidental or based on misunderstandings(and most of those felt badly contrived as well).

And Ranma doesn´t have to have someone to fight to make sense there, there´s one that puts him there as married with one of the senshi, and the whole thing is played mostly for comedy with just some backstory of troublesome politics. Hmm, i cant even remember which one of the senshi he was with, was one of the first fanfics i read, so it´s a while ago.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Vahn » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:59 am

Donny cheng Life and Time have him not only living in peace but also stepping aside for earth destruction before helpinf rebuild it.
Vahn
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:18 pm

Meant to say to fight for. And rebuilding a world is something to fight for.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Vahn » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:58 pm

Yeah but they let it happened remember? They let the destruction happen to go toward Crystal Tokyo, most of the other fics have Ranma giving that the finger and going resisting. Ranma was fine with the idea of Crystal Tokyo. One of the better oldies from back in the day :D
Vahn
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:06 pm

most of the other fics have Ranma giving that the finger and going resisting.

I read one such fic where the author deconstructed the fanon, ending the fic with the complete destruction of the human race. Because of Ranma trying to oppose the senshi. 100% his fault.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Vahn » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:14 pm

Which fic was,that? OH another one was written by Gabriel where Ranma not only lived in crystal tokyo he has a,nice side clinic.
Vahn
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:24 pm

Knight of Ranko wrote:seen this trope in enough fics, I dont think I've seen a one, in fics where hes present at crystal tokyo and not violently opposing it.

I can't say that I've read many stories (Ranma crossovers, not strictly Sailor Moon) that actually spend any time in Crystal Tokyo. Usually it's only mentioned in the future tense, and Ranma either goes along with things or opposes it without having truly experienced it. Usually it's the former, but that's often because he becomes a sailor senshi.

Personally, as an author, I have nothing against Crystal Tokyo. I have two stories where Ranma spends time in Crystal Tokyo, one briefly and another for hundreds of years, and in neither case does he feel the need to change things. (Of course, it doesn't help that the major objection for Crystal Tokyo in the canon was done for a (dumb) reason that doesn't really address any potentially real problems with the establishment. It's just, "there's something wrong with peace and living for a thousand years," which just ends up being antagonistic for the sake of it because Chaos opposes anything that involves the Ginzuishou. Just stereotypical, senseless black versus white stuff.)
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:03 pm

Blinks, seriously?

In most of the Ranma in Crystal Tokyo fics I've read Ranma is against it far more often than for it. Like I said in my earlier post. I do actually believe this is the more realistic approach...

There are at least three where he even has Setsuna on his side.

Even one where he outright wanted to assassinate the Senshi for their actions...

Having said that, there are at least a couple I've read where he is not against it.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:19 pm

I only said that I haven't read many stories that take place in (using emphasis again) Crystal Tokyo (mainly because I wasn't interested in reading them for other reasons), and that most of my experience comes from stories that take place before it's established. I wasn't commenting on a lack of stories where Ranma opposes Crystal Tokyo while it actually exists.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Return to Fiction Discussion