What to do With "On Her Own"?

Talk about all other fiction in this forum.

What to do With "On Her Own"?

Postby khammel » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:46 am

Hello,

I have posted "On Her Own" here 3 times for commentary.

Today I found this on Fanfiction.net quite by accident...

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9177892/1/On-Her-Own

This accompanied the post:
(A message from me; Lonesome Writer: This story is just the same as the other one... A "copy" from the REAL author. Please trust me, I wouldn't publish this story and the other chapters without permission of course. Note: I'll post this message only in the first chapter)

I provided a review:
I must ask you why you have done this? I never gave any sort of permission to publish this nor was I contacted about it. I am working on a new version, however. This certainly gives me much more motivation to post it here. Again, I am terribly disappointed.

I have been unable to proceed on this story because I cannot come up with the prose to match up to the expectations of the reviewers here. So I put the story aside for a while. Now this happens.

I will try to address what comments I can, but I sort of feel compelled to post something fairly soon.
khammel
Senshi Cadet

Re: What to do With "On Her Own"?

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:31 am

In a situation like this (and it has happened to me) the first message should be private. That way you let the poster know you are annoyed without doing it in public. They're less likely to get their backs up over the situation.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby khammel » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:28 am

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:In a situation like this (and it has happened to me) the first message should be private. That way you let the poster know you are annoyed without doing it in public. They're less likely to get their backs up over the situation.

Thanks so much for your response.

Unfortunately, I was hurt and upset, so I reacted by posting the 'review' listed above. 2 other reviewers had already posted reviews that mentioned the story was written by me originally. I realize that on fanfiction.net the administrative control seems pretty much absent, however. So the poster is free to say whatever they wish about contact with the author, with no ramifications.

Oh well. If I make a better version, maybe I will get more than 18 favorites, who knows? At least it has given me motivation to see what I can do to adress the issues reviewers here mentioned.
khammel
Senshi Cadet

Postby khammel » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:42 pm

The 'author' was kind enough to delete the story. I will see what happens.
khammel
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:44 pm

How is the story doing now? I do remember it getting up to Ranma promising her adopted daughter a sibling and having a date to go out on. Is the rewrite still happening. I know I saw some of it and was less than helpful in pointing out oversights. Hope to be able to help if its possible in the future.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Return to Fiction Discussion