Head Canon

Talk about all other fiction in this forum.

Re: Head Canon

Postby Cheb » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:46 am

The Bamboo Leaves of Love. Ranma and Akane literally got themselves a magic spell

Are you seriously implying that the Ranmaverse magic can be relied upon? Really?
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:06 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:A lot of us have read comics. (I go back to the Golden Age, barely, and read most of the Silver Age. Was reading Bronze Age, but I gave up when it turned into the Marzipan age.) You can't even count on somebody to be dead or alive, married or single, one person or a consortium. It colors your perceptions. Takahashi-sensei is more consistent than DC or Marvel, but she's not perfect. If nothing else, she's terribly vulnerable to the Rule of Funny. Check it out on TV Tropes.

Marzipan age? :mrgreen:

Oh dear, i almost laughed myself silly at that...

#####

Are you seriously implying that the Ranmaverse magic can be relied upon? Really?

Exactly.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Pata Hikari » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:50 pm

Spica75 wrote:
No, that's your headcanon.

No. No it is not.

The narrative literally says what is does, and the meaning behind the characters actions. The author put that chapter in her story for a reason. It's not "head canon." It's not some minor little interpretation of characters or the setting not explicitly covered by the text. It is something directly covered by the text. It is canon.

Spica75 wrote: Canon is that we are showed something that makes it very likely(any time i write something in the Ranmaverse, it is my default assumption as well, but it IS an assumption, not hard fact or canon). Otherwise you're completely ignoring everything else in the setting that could easily upset events(such as other magic, magic glitches/weirdness, outside interference(!!!) etc etc).

Nothing else in the setting can happen that might break them up because the story is over.

We only know what may happen in the future of the setting what the story told us, and guess what the story told?

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:A lot of us have read comics. (I go back to the Golden Age, barely, and read most of the Silver Age. Was reading Bronze Age, but I gave up when it turned into the Marzipan age.) You can't even count on somebody to be dead or alive, married or single, one person or a consortium. It colors your perceptions. Takahashi-sensei is more consistent than DC or Marvel, but she's not perfect. If nothing else, she's terribly vulnerable to the Rule of Funny. Check it out on TV Tropes.

Good thing Ranma 1/2 isn't the absurdly long written by commitie setting of western superhero comics! It's a single consistant story written by a single person with a beginning, middle, and end.
Cheb wrote:Are you seriously implying that the Ranmaverse magic can be relied upon? Really?

Of course I am. Magic always does it's effects reliable in the Ranma 1/2 universe. The failings are always on the people using the magic.
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:22 pm

Ranma 1/2 is a peculiar Bible, but we seem to have a fanatic strict-constructionist Bible-thumper in our midst. Where's the Reformation when we need one?
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spica75 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:46 am

The narrative literally says what is does, and the meaning behind the characters actions. The author put that chapter in her story for a reason. It's not "head canon." It's not some minor little interpretation of characters or the setting not explicitly covered by the text. It is something directly covered by the text. It is canon.

The chapter is canon, the future RESULTS of the chapter is fanon. Otherwise there's a number of things that would be canon earlier, except for never actually happening.

Nothing else in the setting can happen that might break them up because the story is over.

Seriously? That's your fiat non-author fanon declaration, not canon.

Of course I am. Magic always does it's effects reliable in the Ranma 1/2 universe. The failings are always on the people using the magic.

If that was true, Gosunkugi would be the single most dangerous opponent ever and always. Yet he's mostly a joke.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:06 am

Spica75 wrote:If that was true, Gosunkugi would be the single most dangerous opponent ever and always. Yet he's mostly a joke.

I get the impression (mostly from fanon, but we make do with what we have) that Gosunkugi is just full of failings.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Drawde » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:34 am

Most of the magic we see in the series does exactly what it's supposed to do. It's the cast of idiots getting ahold of it that's the problem. Even the koi rod and the paper dolls worked properly.

That said, some of the items, including the umbrella and the above-mentioned bamboo charms, only worked temporarily. The umbrella only as long as it was used, and the charms for as long as they were on the bamboo. Not to mention that tying tanzaku (the paper with a wish written on it) to bamboo during Tanabata is an extremely common event.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Pata Hikari » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:55 am

Spica75 wrote:The chapter is canon, the future RESULTS of the chapter is fanon. Otherwise there's a number of things that would be canon earlier, except for never actually happening.

You can't have one without the other. The author wrote a chapter in her story that proclaimed a future event would happen, and then did nothing to ever contradict it through the rest of plot.

It's not fanon because it is in no way shape or form a fan theory/fanfic plot device that became accepted as canon by the bulk of the fandom despite it never appearing in the text. It is the story saying "Hey this event is going to happen in the future" How is that not a canon statement about the story's future?

If anything this event is like some kind of reverse fanon. A canon event that the fandom at large does not know about and never even brings up.
Spica75 wrote:Seriously? That's your fiat non-author fanon declaration, not canon.

Ranma and Akane getting together is not fanon.

Like, even beyond the entire magical events, there's the facts of dramatic convention and genre. Being a romantic comedy, the fact that the leads of the story will be together romantically and live happily ever after is a basic fact of the story they're in. The story ends with them heading off into the distance together, clearly telling the reader that they're going to be OK. This would be enough for any story, but Takahashi also had published several chapters earlier a clear blatant message from her about what their future holds.

Spica75 wrote:If that was true, Gosunkugi would be the single most dangerous opponent ever and always. Yet he's mostly a joke.

First off, magic, not god like omnipotence. Second off, did you forget the part about "The failings are always on the people using the magic"

Gousunkugi is kind of an idiot.
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Previous

Return to Fiction Discussion