Does anybody know why Sailor Moon V was pulled?

Talk about all other fanfictions in this forum.

Does anybody know why Sailor Moon V was pulled?

Postby slickrcbd » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:34 pm

I just checked out Troy Silver Stanton's page for "Sailor Moon V: The Dark Adventures of the Sailor Scouts", but found that the story the URL was created for is not present.
http://www.sailormoonv.net/
I see this at the bottom
Creative writing used to be a hobby of mine, and perhaps one day I will find the time and energy to make it a hobby again. Should you have something to say about any of the stories found on this site, you are more than welcome to drop me an email to share your views and ask any questions. SailorMoonV@sailormoonv.net Yes, I am fully aware that my website has lost a significant amount of literary weight after the rebuild. The stories are not lost, simply archived and removed. If you have local copies, keep them local and enjoy but please don't repost them again as they have been taken down for a reason. Perhaps one day I'll be able to talk about it, but not anytime soon. Please don't ask me about it, since you will simply not get a response. Thank you.

Troy A. Stanton
09 May 2016

So, what happened? I can understand putting up a page when he quits writing after 20 years, but why remove the fic? It was an awesome story, and just putting a note that he's abandoned it would have been enough.

I can find the first few chapters with Google
http://www.oocities.org/tokyo/towers/2815/smv.htm

I was just wondering if anybody knew why Troy decided to delete his magnum opus?
slickrcbd
Senshi Cadet
Senshi Cadet
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:45 am
FanFiction.Net User ID: 608471
Gender: Male

Re: Does anybody know why Sailor Moon V was pulled?

Postby Spica75 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:28 am

No clue, but last time i saw something like that happen, it was someone doing moral panicking that oh dear, one day his kids might see what he wrote... Time before that, "oh i found god so i cannot let these blasphemous creations of mine remain"...

In short, it´s usually no good reason.
User avatar
Spica75
Moon Senshi
Moon Senshi
 
Posts: 1851
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:53 pm
Location: Sweden
FanFiction.Net User ID: 2879209
Gender: Male

Re: Does anybody know why Sailor Moon V was pulled?

Postby Makoto » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:15 am

I don't know... the way those last few sentences are worded make me think legal action had something to do with it. "If you have local copies, keep them local and enjoy but please don't repost them again as they have been taken down for a reason. Perhaps one day I'll be able to talk about it, but not anytime soon. Please don't ask me about it, since you will simply not get a response."
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
User avatar
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi
Asteroid Senshi
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:10 pm
Location: In the not-too-distant future.
FanFiction.Net User ID: 1473284

Re: Does anybody know why Sailor Moon V was pulled?

Postby Spica75 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:21 pm

Makoto wrote:I don't know... the way those last few sentences are worded make me think legal action had something to do with it. "If you have local copies, keep them local and enjoy but please don't repost them again as they have been taken down for a reason. Perhaps one day I'll be able to talk about it, but not anytime soon. Please don't ask me about it, since you will simply not get a response."


If it was legal reason, all that was needed to say "taken down for legal reasons", that would not impact any legal actions in any way while also explaining.
I´ve seen that happen before, but they either write something like that or explain more in detail. Some even post whatever conversation or email correspondence that caused it.

So while theoretically plausible, i think the probability is pretty close to the probability that Sailor Moon is a documentary.
The wording strongly suggests otherwise, for example simply saying that he wont even respond to questions about it?
If it was legal reasons, then all he has to do is reply with "legal stuff, end of story".
User avatar
Spica75
Moon Senshi
Moon Senshi
 
Posts: 1851
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:53 pm
Location: Sweden
FanFiction.Net User ID: 2879209
Gender: Male

Re: Does anybody know why Sailor Moon V was pulled?

Postby Makoto » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:17 am

Not if the legal action included a gag order. :|
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
User avatar
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi
Asteroid Senshi
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:10 pm
Location: In the not-too-distant future.
FanFiction.Net User ID: 1473284

Re: Does anybody know why Sailor Moon V was pulled?

Postby Drawde » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:37 am

Spica75 wrote:If it was legal reason, all that was needed to say "taken down for legal reasons", that would not impact any legal actions in any way while also explaining.
I´ve seen that happen before, but they either write something like that or explain more in detail. Some even post whatever conversation or email correspondence that caused it.

I've seen one webcomic (Rusty and Co.) temporarily taken down for legal reasons. The author said he was told by every attorney he talked to while looking for one to not say ANYTHING about it. Just take the site down and no talking about the problem at all until it is resolved. http://rustyandco.com/what-happened/
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi
Chibi Sailor Senshi
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:28 am
Gender: Male

Re: Does anybody know why Sailor Moon V was pulled?

Postby Spica75 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:58 am

Drawde wrote:I've seen one webcomic (Rusty and Co.) temporarily taken down for legal reasons. The author said he was told by every attorney he talked to while looking for one to not say ANYTHING about it. Just take the site down and no talking about the problem at all until it is resolved. http://rustyandco.com/what-happened/


There´s a difference between saying "legal reasons" and "More than one lawyer said if I gave the impression of just “playing possum” instead of genuinely complying while working things out, they might start real litigation. Specific examples of things I was told to avoid were posting things like “Temporarily down” or “Be back soon” or “Don’t worry, I’m going to win this!” or anything like that.".

Saying "legal reasons" is an informing of fact, saying anything about why´s or how´s in regards to those reasons is where you might get in trouble, and like the above quote states, saying anything that directly impacts a potential case, that´s seriously bad. But "down for legal reasons" is just a statement of fact, any lawyer trying to abuse that is very likely to crash and burn their own side of the case.

There´s also a rather clear difference between fanfiction and obvious commercial activity like the above.

And if the issue was making money from a fanfiction site, then the WHOLE site would have to be taken down, not just specific stories.


##########

Not if the legal action included a gag order. :|


Yeah, but then he´s already broken the gag order by saying don´t ask about it and mentioning it AT ALL.

Essentially, saying "down for legal reasons" is actually LESS problematic if legal stuff was the reason than the text that is there now(as it can fall under the umbrella of evasive and "playing possum" mentioned in the quote from Rusty above).

Just writing "please don´t repost them" outright says HE does not WANT them posted, it does not in any way suggest posting them is illegal or would get him in trouble with someone else, then he would at the minimum have said DONT post them at all no matter what etc rather than what was written.

So while yes, legal reasons are possible, i don´t believe it at all. Also, in regards to fanfiction, personal/nonlegal reasons outnumber legal reasons for takedowns at least 10 to 1. Quite possibly by a 1000 to 1 or more.
User avatar
Spica75
Moon Senshi
Moon Senshi
 
Posts: 1851
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:53 pm
Location: Sweden
FanFiction.Net User ID: 2879209
Gender: Male

Re: Does anybody know why Sailor Moon V was pulled?

Postby ckosacranoid » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:54 pm

who knows what happend. i have talked to him over the years and he would drop in and out of writing. could just be simple his age also at this point. he was in the military when he started writting the story. it was very cool to say the least but said to see it ended the way so many fics end over the years.
http://otakuracing.blogspot.com/
my blog for busniess and other things i do.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi
Chibi Sailor Senshi
 
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:37 pm
Location: grayslake, ill
FanFiction.Net User ID: 402752
Gender: Male

Re: Does anybody know why Sailor Moon V was pulled?

Postby slickrcbd » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:24 am

ckosacranoid wrote:who knows what happend. i have talked to him over the years and he would drop in and out of writing. could just be simple his age also at this point. he was in the military when he started writting the story. it was very cool to say the least but said to see it ended the way so many fics end over the years.

Yes, but he could have simply put a note that he was retiring from writing and that the story will not be finished and left it up.
It was a good story with interesting world building, making minor crossovers and fusions with other series, although I did not recognize all the source material. Then again, those might have been "inspired by" rather than based on other series the way the Dragoons were.

Still, it was a long running and long story, and quite interesting. I liked where it was going. I just don't get why he took it down. Especially since the first few chapters are on the RAAC archive, which is how I found it back in the late 1990's.
I did not understand why he stopped posting updates to RAAC.
slickrcbd
Senshi Cadet
Senshi Cadet
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:45 am
FanFiction.Net User ID: 608471
Gender: Male

Re: Does anybody know why Sailor Moon V was pulled?

Postby Cheb » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:21 pm

As far as I remember, Sailor Moon V had a very rough start, it began as a cringeworthy OOC borderline-pr0n.
It also included a lot of sexual activities of very underage people which couldn't be just cut out because of being plot-relevant.

If I look back and feel ashamed of what I did, I retcon and rewrite and come out with a better fic, "bleached underpants" style..
Probably the author just didn't have time & energy to do the same.
That epic story was in a need of serious, massive corrections.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
User avatar
Cheb
Moon Senshi
Moon Senshi
 
Posts: 1341
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:53 pm
Location: Moscow
Gender: Male

Re: Does anybody know why Sailor Moon V was pulled?

Postby Spica75 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:03 pm

If I look back and feel ashamed of what I did, I retcon and rewrite and come out with a better fic, "bleached underpants" style..


The proper, sane choice. :P
User avatar
Spica75
Moon Senshi
Moon Senshi
 
Posts: 1851
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:53 pm
Location: Sweden
FanFiction.Net User ID: 2879209
Gender: Male

Re: Does anybody know why Sailor Moon V was pulled?

Postby Cheb » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:11 pm

Yes, but not every one has resources to pull it off.
Temporarily pulling the work hoping to find the strength to re-write it later is an understandable trade-off.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
User avatar
Cheb
Moon Senshi
Moon Senshi
 
Posts: 1341
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:53 pm
Location: Moscow
Gender: Male

Re: Does anybody know why Sailor Moon V was pulled?

Postby Spica75 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:55 pm

Cheb wrote:Yes, but not every one has resources to pull it off.
Temporarily pulling the work hoping to find the strength to re-write it later is an understandable trade-off.


No, it´s terrible version, if someone want to rewrite their stuff, have fun go ahead, but DONT remove the old stuff until the new is finished and being posted to replace the old completely. Or better yet, post the rewrite as its own story. There´s nothing "temporary" about it.

Simple fact, 8/10 stories i see the author talk about how they´re going to rewrite it, is a story that when that happens is dead.
It´s nearly always much better to continue and finish a story than to try to rewrite it because it didn´t turn out as you wanted, because nothing EVER does. And of the few where the rewrite actually happens? Most die out before they get half as far into the story as the original version.

Out of several hundreds of fanfic authors i have read, i think there´s maybe 5 that are reliably capable of doing rewrites without killing the stories.
And 2 of those used fanfiction as practice for their REAL work, which was, oh yeah, writing ( a tv scriptwriter and a playwriter IIRC )...
Ergo, the number of nonprofessional fanfic authors that successfully do rewrites, are vanishingly small.
User avatar
Spica75
Moon Senshi
Moon Senshi
 
Posts: 1851
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:53 pm
Location: Sweden
FanFiction.Net User ID: 2879209
Gender: Male

Re: Does anybody know why Sailor Moon V was pulled?

Postby slickrcbd » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:10 pm

I take it a step farther and say leave the old version up for posterity, at the very least don't remove it until the rewrite is past the point that you stopped working on the old version.

I disagree about it being 8/10 times. It is more like nine out of ten times the rewrite is abandoned long before it reaches the same point in the story as the original.
slickrcbd
Senshi Cadet
Senshi Cadet
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:45 am
FanFiction.Net User ID: 608471
Gender: Male

Re: Does anybody know why Sailor Moon V was pulled?

Postby Spica75 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:08 pm

slickrcbd wrote:I take it a step farther and say leave the old version up for posterity, at the very least don't remove it until the rewrite is past the point that you stopped working on the old version.

Spica75 already wrote:but DONT remove the old stuff until the new is finished and being posted to replace the old completely. Or better yet, post the rewrite as its own story.



slickrcbd wrote:I disagree about it being 8/10 times. It is more like nine out of ten times the rewrite is abandoned long before it reaches the same point in the story as the original.

Spica75 already wrote:And of the few where the rewrite actually happens? Most die out before they get half as far into the story as the original version.


Yes? :P

:mrgreen:
User avatar
Spica75
Moon Senshi
Moon Senshi
 
Posts: 1851
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:53 pm
Location: Sweden
FanFiction.Net User ID: 2879209
Gender: Male

Next

Return to Fiction Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users