Power cards

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Power cards

Postby talonhunter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:25 am

Is there any precedent of using magic or science based power ups like swiping or memory type card readers to enhance/change/overpower a human character in the 'Real' world. For example instead of usagi using the broach to transform into sailor moon, she would instead swipe a encoded card or sd ram type drive into a wearable reader like a watch or Fitbit? Got a idea I'll elaborate on but I haven't seen anything besides the power ranger thing or digimon takers type devices for digital world or creatures and Ben10's omnitrex
Who needs the light when the shadows are so much more...Playful

Senshi of Dione (Saturn IV)

=^*^=
Come see some of the crew here
talonhunter
User avatar
Prism Power Senshi
Posts: 2732
 

Re: Power cards

Postby slickrcbd » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:46 pm

Have you ever read Neuromancer and the rest of the Sprawl series by William Gibson?
It has "skill chips" that could be implanted in a "deck" that interfaced directly with the person's brain and downloaded skills directly into it.
It was not that different from The Matrix when Neo goes "I know Kung Fu", only they could swap skill chips in and out of the deck as needed.

Not exactly superhuman, but useful.
slickrcbd
Chibi Sailor Senshi
Posts: 217
 

Re: Power cards

Postby Knight of L-sama » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:34 pm

Kamen Riders Decade, Ryuki and Blade all use cards in conjunction with their transformation belts to transform and access different forms, weapons etc. So do the rangers from Tensou Sentai Goseiger, though the use a hand-held transformation device. While not directly applicable to the humans, Digimon Tamers (the third season of the anime) uses cards to access additional abilities for their digimon and to access their more powerful forms. Those are probably the most like what you're asking for since they're swiped through a reader slot on their Digivices while the Sentai and Kamen Rider versions tend to insert them into a slot on their belt and leave them there until swapping it for the next one.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
User avatar
Chibi Sailor Senshi
Posts: 378
 

Re: Power cards

Postby talonhunter » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:35 am

slickrcbd wrote:Have you ever read Neuromancer and the rest of the Sprawl series by William Gibson?
It has "skill chips" that could be implanted in a "deck" that interfaced directly with the person's brain and downloaded skills directly into it.
It was not that different from The Matrix when Neo goes "I know Kung Fu", only they could swap skill chips in and out of the deck as needed.

Not exactly superhuman, but useful.


I've not read the series or heard of it before but some of the bits and pieces kinda fit what I'm thinking.

Knight of L-sama wrote:Kamen Riders Decade, Ryuki and Blade all use cards in conjunction with their transformation belts to transform and access different forms, weapons etc. So do the rangers from Tensou Sentai Goseiger, though the use a hand-held transformation device. While not directly applicable to the humans, Digimon Tamers (the third season of the anime) uses cards to access additional abilities for their digimon and to access their more powerful forms. Those are probably the most like what you're asking for since they're swiped through a reader slot on their Digivices while the Sentai and Kamen Rider versions tend to insert them into a slot on their belt and leave them there until swapping it for the next one.


This is more along the lines of my idea, but with a it more tech or tech mage type power up stuff. I'll finish up my outline this week and roll this over to either ideas or scenes
Who needs the light when the shadows are so much more...Playful

Senshi of Dione (Saturn IV)

=^*^=
Come see some of the crew here
talonhunter
User avatar
Prism Power Senshi
Posts: 2732
 

Re: Power cards

Postby slickrcbd » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:57 pm

talonhunter wrote:I've not read the series or heard of it before but some of the bits and pieces kinda fit what I'm thinking.

The series is a bit dated, but in many ways William Gibson was a visionary. You have to keep in mind the works were written in the early to mid 1980's.
He calls the internet "cyberspace", but the internet as we know it did not exist yet. There was FIDONET and a loose collection of Usenet and e-mail. The internet as we recognize it did not happen until the early 90's, nearly ten years after the first book.

Oddly he did predict some of the things that actually happen today. It was interesting reading when I read them in high school back in the mid '90s.
Gibson is sometimes considered the father of the cyberpunk genre, well that and the guys who made Shadowrun.

There was a game for the Apple II and IIGS that might gave you an idea of the parts you are interested in. It doesn't follow the plot in the book, but is a story set in the same universe.
It does contain the elements you were interested in more or less, if not exactly the same as the book.
Grab an Apple IIGS emulator to play this abandonware here
http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/neuromancer
or an Apple IIe emulator for this inferior version, though you'll want the manuals from the above link or from Project 64
ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II ... uromancer/
Project 64 has the manuals for the Commodore version, which is close enough
http://project64.c64.org/games/m-z/index.html

The game has copy protection that requires the manual, so get them either in PDF from the Apple IIGS site or text from the Project 64 site.

I still recommend reading the books. Heck, I got interested in the books when somebody gave me Neuromancer when they were getting rid of their Apple II stuff in the mid '90s.
My Apple IIGS was my first computer in 1988.
Sorry, no links for the books, I checked them out from my local library over 20 years ago. I'm not sure if they still have them.
slickrcbd
Chibi Sailor Senshi
Posts: 217
 


Return to Fic Research

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users