A physics question, 'cause I'm weak in the noggin

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Re: A physics question, 'cause I'm weak in the noggin

Postby Neko- » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:03 am

While I concur on short term the planets from Earth outward are not going to be affected much, over time it's going to cause dramatic effects nonetheless.
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:15 pm

Sorry for the delay.

Also, I wanted to thank you guys for the effort you've put into this so far.

Spica75 wrote:Because regardless HOW it´s done, it will take ridiculous amounts of energy to do it?

That never stopped Celestia before.

I have no problem with the "a wizard did it/it´s magic" explanation, but the power level involved in the above probably makes Celestia the most powerful magic user ever seen in fiction. Possibly by orders of magnitude. It´s an automatic God Mode "I win" button. There´s simply nothing with the level of power to stop her from doing whatever she wants.

Well, that's simply not the reality of Celestia's abilities. She seems to have a special trait that allows her to move the sun (as opposed to needing a bunch of unicorns), but is otherwise defeatable in other arenas. Well, unless she's a good actress and has allowed herself to be beaten, although that would call into question why she would have allowed it in certain instances.

So, you might just have made MLP:FIM the evil galaxydestroying alien invaders... :mrgreen:
And you HAVE made them the evil STAR system destroying alien invaders. :P
Oops?

It's intentional, actually. I'm going for a "how could this be a bad idea" from the perspective of a certain event on Earth, in part because there's no expectation that anything will come of their efforts.

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:One final comment: you have not asked "A physics question," CP. You have asked a magic question. Expecting the rest of the Solar System to compensate for the magic by way of physics Does Not Compute.

Do what you want. "It's magic. An Alicorn did it." But stop asking physics and astronomy to hold hands and smile about it. They're as confused as you are.

I asked because, aside from the behavior of the sun, I figured that it wouldn't tell the rest of the forces of the universe to stop working. Since others have gone through the trouble of working out the possibilities, I can only assume that introducing an element that defies physics doesn't render everything else meaningless.

Would you have said something similar had I approached the question like this:

"Imagine a simulated solar system that mirrors ours, except for the introduction of a phenomenon accounting for the sun orbiting a planet, that -- for an assumed lack of scientific understanding -- doesn't directly affect anything else in the solar system. What would happen to the solar system?"
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:45 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:Would you have said something similar had I approached the question like this:

"Imagine a simulated solar system that mirrors ours, except for the introduction of a phenomenon accounting for the sun orbiting a planet, that -- for an assumed lack of scientific understanding -- doesn't directly affect anything else in the solar system. What would happen to the solar system?"

The most I'll give on this one is that you've moved up from a Ptolemaic system to a Tychonic system.Tycho thought it combined the good points of the Ptolemaic and Copernican systems. I suppose. But how much can you trust a man with a silver nose?
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:10 pm

Had you said silver tongue, or a mercury nose, I would have responded in the negative. :P

Anyway, I bothered to explore this idea at all because I figured it was like dark matter (don't know about dark energy) in the abstract: we see the affects of its presence, but don't know much else otherwise. The advantage that dark matter has over the force moving the sun, which is why I said it was "like" instead of "exactly like," is that it has the benefit of acting upon things in a familiar way, and is thus a piece of a puzzle that fits somewhere on what's been assembled so far. I imagine that if this scenario were possible (not saying it is, in part because we know what is actually going on), it would be likened to a puzzle piece that requires other parts of the puzzle to be assembled before there's a place to fit it. Not that that's the point or the goal, of course: I'm just interested in the details of the dilemma that's created, so I can write a story about it and not seem like I'm writing out of my ass 100%. I'm hoping for less than 90%, at the very least. <_<
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:31 pm

I read one Russian MLP Self-Insert where the sun Celestia controls was a magical construct while the actual sun was one of the stars as the planet orbits in its system's Oort cloud equivalent.

Elegant, simple, no need to rape laws of physics.

P.S. The plot was "Oh shit, I'm Twilight Sparkle...! What, sun won't come up...? Oh shit, we have to repair it ASAP or this world is frozen-nitrogen-level of screwed!
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:11 am

Cheb wrote:I read one Russian MLP Self-Insert where the sun Celestia controls was a magical construct while the actual sun was one of the stars as the planet orbits in its system's Oort cloud equivalent.

Elegant, simple, no need to rape laws of physics.

P.S. The plot was "Oh shit, I'm Twilight Sparkle...! What, sun won't come up...? Oh shit, we have to repair it ASAP or this world is frozen-nitrogen-level of screwed!

That would work one heck of a lot better than most alternatives at least.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Fic Research