Belldandy or Verdandi?

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Belldandy or Verdandi?

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:47 pm

I was wondering if the English translators chose "Belldandy" because it looked/sounded better than "Verdandi," made a mistake and stuck with it, or if that had been Fujishima's intent with the name to begin with.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Re: Belldandy or Verdandi?

Postby Spica75 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:00 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:I was wondering if the English translators chose "Belldandy" because it looked/sounded better than "Verdandi," made a mistake and stuck with it, or if that had been Fujishima's intent with the name to begin with.

Looking at it, it´s probably a mistake(or it might as well be at least). Japanese often foul up the difference between B and V, as well as R and L.

So, just by not writing it in latin script means you can end up with beldandi instead.

Edit: note that i based my above mainly on the original anime pronounciation, they certainly sound like they DO say Belldandy/i and not Verdandi.
The English translators probably just went with it as they could see/hear it. I expect i would have done the same even if there isn´t a translation companion(which is the norm for any serious work, providing exact names etc).
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:29 pm

As I understand it, the Japanese pronunciation of Verdandi was anglicised into Belldandy.
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:47 am

Given that her angel's name is Holy Bell the translators may have decided to stick with Belldandy (which is what Verdandi/Verthandi approximates to when using the sounds available in Japanese) to create a more consistent naming theme rather than work back to get the more correct Norse pronunciation.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:18 am

Huh. I didn't think that Wikipedia would have something about this, but -- apparently -- it does. It seems the romanization was what they felt like going with, rather than knowing for sure what Fujishima had intended and going with that. Even despite the fact that Urd, Skuld, Asgard, being the goddess of the present, et cetera kept driving home the fact that she's Verdandi. Now I wonder if "Holy/Blessed Bell" was the name Fujishima gave to her angel or not.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Return to Fic Research