What to call this room space?

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

What to call this room space?

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:25 pm

I usually see this in studio apartments, where there's a room containing two floors worth of space and only a portion of the upper half is accessible, often serving as a bedroom. But, when I think "second floor," or "bedroom," that typically brings to mind a floor/ceiling separating two spaces completely, or having four walls and a doorway, respectively. So, is there a term that specifies the kind of area I'm referring to, or does it require a phrase to get the idea cross? I thought it might have been "loft," but the definition and explanation for that doesn't seem to match.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Re: What to call this room space?

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:08 pm

So, that's really it? Both Wikipedia and the dictionary I use weren't being clear, talking about attic space, entire rooms being a loft, or there being lofts within lofts... with that last one being accompanied by words like "confusing" and "sometimes," which makes me want to find a better way of referring to it. Aside from "upper open loft area," which is a bit of a train wreck. :?

Maybe I should make up my own word for it. Something inspired by hayloft, which is short, apt and doesn't leave any room for ambiguity, like using loft could create: "Go to the loft? I thought that's where we were?"
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:45 pm

Sounds like a mezzanine level to me.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:31 pm

Hmmmm... I've heard that used for the theater before, but never residential. Would Twilight Sparkle's living space in the library apply?
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:55 am

Architecturally yes, but it wouldn't actually describe the space itself. Its not "the mezzanine" but more (for example) "an open plan bedroom on a mezzanine level" sort of thing.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:30 am

Another mouthful... I'm thinking of calling it a bedloft. XD
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby LunaInverse » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:09 pm

Eh, I live in a apartment like that mine was advertised as a loft apartment.
LunaInverse
Senshi Cadet

Return to Fic Research