What kind of conflict is this?

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

What kind of conflict is this?

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Thu May 28, 2015 6:32 am

I know there's a specific term for this, but I can neither remember it or find it via search engine. It's where there are at least two rules -- of equal weight -- that must be adhered to, but the enforcement of one comes into conflict with the other, kind of like the damned if you do and damned if you don't situation you hear about with multiple geas. For instance, say one rule makes it so someone must do whatever a specific person says, while the other makes it so they must not act freely, and that specific person tells that certain someone to act freely.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Re: What kind of conflict is this?

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu May 28, 2015 7:42 am

Ask a Californian. With the drought right now, they aren't allowed to water their lawns. At the same time, they must keep them green. Fines either way.

I believe that's called a double-bind.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby camk4evr » Thu May 28, 2015 1:09 pm

-Unstoppable Force vs Immovable Object

-Catch-22

-Paradox

I was going to make a joke about this but they aren't, quite, equal
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Thu May 28, 2015 3:23 pm

Catch-22 sounds about right. Double-bind seems applicable, too. Thanks!

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:Ask a Californian. With the drought right now, they aren't allowed to water their lawns. At the same time, they must keep them green. Fines either way.

I believe that's called a double-bind.

Is there a rule where using paint to keep the grass green is unacceptable? XD

I wonder if I can get around it in other ways. Like, green can also mean that something is new/fresh, so maybe replacing it with sod will do. Or, maybe you can say that the grass is green because of its unhealthy appearance. You could say, perhaps, that it's green because it's natural and more environmentally friendly than waterless alternatives. Better yet, if your last name's Green (like mine is), or you change it to Green, you can say it's green because it's yours. :P
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu May 28, 2015 6:57 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:Is there a rule where using paint to keep the grass green is unacceptable? XD

If the Web is to be believed, they are using paint.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Return to Fic Research