Ranmas Curse Ageing

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Re: Ranmas Curse Ageing

Postby LawOhki » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:27 pm

Blackcat101 wrote:is only been a year since Narma arrived to Nerima.

Source please.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Blackcat101 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:34 pm

LawOhki wrote:Source please.

Fanon, Ranma is always 16 in the manga, but both of his forms did get taller.
Blackcat101
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:05 pm

Blackcat101 wrote:Well, we have seen the curse getting older, Ranma chan got taller and with a bigger bust by the end of the manga after all, and acording to the author, by the end of the manga, is only been a year since Ranma arrived to Nerima. The thing is, there is also a curse spring in the manga that turns you into a young boy. And the things are curses, so to find out how Ranma curse will age is conplicated. There is still the fact that Ryoga's curse did not grow up, so I think is up to the writer interpretacion. If Ranma female form stop aging at nineten years old it could work I think. Since back then you had to be twenty to be an adult so Ranma-chan would not be a musume anymore.

If Ryoga´s cursed form is a minipig, then it´s already fully grown up.

#####
Source please.

Well, if you´ve seen or read the anime/manga, while it´s hard to tell exactly how much time passes, there isn´t enough seasonal changes for more than one year, maybe one and a half, but mostly it looks like less than a year.
Ranma, Akane and Nabiki never advance years in school for example. And from what i recall, and others arguments about it, the whole story does seem to be squeezed very tightly into less than a year, most of the time.
It may be incorrect, but it certainly looks like that´s how it is.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:10 pm

Spica75 wrote:Well, if you´ve seen or read the anime/manga, while it´s hard to tell exactly how much time passes, there isn´t enough seasonal changes for more than one year, maybe one and a half, but mostly it looks like less than a year.
Ranma, Akane and Nabiki never advance years in school for example. And from what i recall, and others arguments about it, the whole story does seem to be squeezed very tightly into less than a year, most of the time.
It may be incorrect, but it certainly looks like that´s how it is.

At least two new years festivals occur within the overall story. Seasons generally don't change much because like most slice of life manga, they were written and coincided to what what currently going on at the time when the arc started. So obviously some of the longer two book arcs aren't going to advance the seasons much, and it could take a quarter of a year to get through that.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:43 pm

Since Ranma did not arrive on a New Year's Day, probably sometime in the Spring or Summer, at least as much as a year and a half to two years have passed, logically, which means that they should have been in their second year of high school at some point between the super soba story and the story where the ghost cat kidnaps Shampoo, unless everyone was held back. While the universe can certainly be silly, I doubt that would have happened to every student (or just the ones we're familiarized with), so there's no real passage of time, except where the author fabricates it for whatever purpose.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:23 am

Someone did an analysis a while back on this very forum that found /two/ years actually works perfectly, if some of the stories are shuffled around (with only a couple overly problematic).

IIRC at one point there's a clear 'start of the new school year' bit.

It's nothing compared to how The Simpsons does it though....
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Blackcat101 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:30 am

TerraEpon wrote:Someone did an analysis a while back on this very forum that found /two/ years actually works perfectly, if some of the stories are shuffled around (with only a couple overly problematic).

Yeah two years works well, specially if you avoid the fillers.
Blackcat101
Asteroid Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:10 am

Rumiko made no effort at all to make a timeline, at least not coherent... anime if anything is worse, as in seasons 1 and 7 Kuno is still clearly stating he is 17, and him and Nabiki are 11th graders...

I do not know about this forum offhand... but tackling the mess that is the Ranma timeline has been done before:

Ranma 1-2 Timeline
It des not really solve all the issues, so I'm sure there are points to argue. Nailing a firm timeline for Ranma is at least as hard as one for the Macross/Robotech franchise when attempting to accommodate everything. I've seen fan debates about it for years.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Blackcat101 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:29 am

Well, is conplicated even if you remove the fillers. Tha'ts because Ranma 1/2 was born as a Comedy series with martial arts, so continuity was not that important at first.
Blackcat101
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:54 am

At least two new years festivals occur within the overall story.

Really? Must have missed one then... :?

Yeah, that happening only once is my (admittedly somewhat vague) recollection.

:mrgreen:

Rumiko made no effort at all to make a timeline, at least not coherent... anime if anything is worse, as in seasons 1 and 7 Kuno is still clearly stating he is 17, and him and Nabiki are 11th graders...

Yeah, that´s one thing i do recall. And that technically is "hard fact".

Ranma 1-2 Timeline

- [Direct URL] http://home.comcast.net/~mzephyrus/timeline.html

Ah, better one than the one i found previously. OTOH, the previous one did manage to squeeze it into less than 2 years without being totally silly.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:20 am

I don't even try. Sailor Moon, I mostly write from the third season of the anime. Tenchi, I pick and choose from Ryo-oh-ki and Universe. Ranma? I mostly use fanon.

And if I ever tried to write an Utena fanfic there are at least four canons to choose from. My feeling is that we are having fun, not writing a dissertation.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spica75 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:33 pm

My feeling is that we are having fun, not writing a dissertation.

Definitely. It´s just that sometimes when you write something, you need to have an established time or even timeline in the background to make things work, and if there isn´t one, it can get a bit troublesome trying to slap one together.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:56 pm

Spica75 wrote:Definitely. It's just that sometimes when you write something, you need to have an established time or even timeline in the background to make things work, and if there isn´t one, it can get a bit troublesome trying to slap one together.

That may be my problem with continuing Different Colors. So far in story time, it's been about half a year -- midsummer up to cherry blossoms falling in Spring. But I want to go all the way to Crystal Tokyo, and that level of detail is not sustainable. I need to make people feel time passing. A timeline could be useful pairing the ages of Ranma and Akane, the Great Freeze, and Ragnarok.

Any ideas on when the Great Freeze happens?
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spica75 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:05 pm

Any ideas on when the Great Freeze happens?

Depending who you ask, IIRC, from sometime in the first 20 years of the 21st century(most common i think), up to as late as sometime 31st century or even later. Even seen an argument for mid 90s once.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:20 pm

Spica75 wrote:Depending who you ask, IIRC, from sometime in the first 20 years of the 21st century(most common i think), up to as late as sometime 31st century or even later. Even seen an argument for mid 90s once.

In the manga it's directly stated in Black Moon arc that Usagi took over when she was 22 with Chibi-Usa being born that same year and that it definitely occurred within the 21st century. (2001-2100) Usagi is 14 years old at the start of the story, so for it to take place in the 21st century requires that the story began at earliest in 1993. As for some great freeze iirc that's an anime only thing which makes figuring out a time frame even more wonky.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Fic Research