Looking for the name of the hand weapon thingy

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Looking for the name of the hand weapon thingy

Postby Vahn » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:00 pm

I seen this in History Strongest Disciple but I don't see where they say it's name. The thing is I know the name I just don't know what it is.

It's the type of weapon that you see people put on their hand just like a glove almost but only the palm, knuckled, and arms part is armored. It's sort of a weapon but a none killing type. I know Kenichii used it, any one know the name of it? I want to call it greaves but I think those are boots.
Vahn
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: Looking for the name of the hand weapon thingy

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:17 pm

I don't know if it is the official name. But I have heard this kind of weapon called a knuckle duster. Because its like a pair of gloves designed to keep your knuckles clean. One of the Dwarves in The Hobbit has some overbuilt ones with massive chunks of metal. When he uses it the weapon is shown as lethal and even the normal version can be if the fighter is strong enough.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:41 pm

I've seen fan fiction with both cloth and metal armbands. Generally called bracers in the stories... in some with a flex of the wrist a needle or blade can pop forward.

Is that what you mean?
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:33 pm

I can't think of any arm guards that extend into the palm of the hand alone, or at all if it also gives protection to the hands. A gauntlet usually doesn't offer much protection beyond the wrist, and they usually protect the fingers. (They may also have those knuckledusters that Spockie mentioned.) Vambraces are more focused on the forearm, but I've seen them extend over the back of the hand (usually in the absence of gloves).
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Vahn » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:53 pm

Well not the palm but, I think it's like a gauntlet but only half of one, the fingers from the knuckles up are bare .There is like armor on the BACK of your hand extending to your elbow. IT only cover your expose side. Like half your arms if you want to get technical. But only up to the elbow. It's like if you make a fist it would bend with you much like a gauntlet but only in peices. I would say there are two part where it bends, the knuckles to cover your fingers when you make a fist and the back of your hand so you can move your wrist around
Vahn
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:45 am

Knuckledusters are brass knuckles not the weapon that Vahn is asking about. What he is asking about sounds like either the cestus orMMA gloves (aka grappling gloves).

It's more likely to be grappling gloves- which are primarily designed to protect the hand and knuckles - whereas the cestus were modified from the leather thongs used, by the Ancient Greeks (and, later, the Romans) for boxing and pankratian matches, for protection, by the Romans who added metal plates and studs to make the sports bloodier, and more dangerous/lethal.
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Vahn » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:51 pm

Yes more like the Cetus but more oriental in design and I believe the oriental version cover the bottom half of your fingers too when you make a fist. In fact it kind of look like something Jude uses from Tales of Xilla. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm-IYaf_hag Only in the wikia they call it bracers. If you watch he had matching hands arms weapony things matching with his shin and leg type.
Vahn
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:48 pm

Zell_Dincht.jpg
Zell_Dincht.jpg (31.64 KiB) Viewed 8225 times
What you describe keeps reminding me of Zell's fighting gloves. And I have seen them also referred to as knuckle dusters, not just fighting gloves. And Brass knuckles haven't been the only items to use the name.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Vahn » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Ok found the image of it, someone called it gaunlet, someone call it armguard or bracers. I want to make sure I get it correct.

Vahn
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:51 pm

I'd call it a plate-mail bracer. The distinction between it and a gauntlet being that gauntlets usually wrap around more, say at least 3/4 coverage. But I might be wrong its been a while since I read over what makes the difference.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:42 pm

I would just call it an arm-guard, since it's strapped on like a very small shield (since the athletic tape is separate). It mostly functions like a gauntlet, though, so that may apply as well. I wouldn't call it a bracer, since they typically surround the forearm (especially the kind made for archers, to protect the inside of the arm).
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:52 am

Warning: don't image search "kote" unless you can deal with seeing the odd penis mixed in. Ugh.

Also, from kote I found bogu, and the kote for that are what I would describe as being gauntlets in English. (Which wouldn't be surprising if they're really based on samurai armor.)
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:02 am

camk4evr wrote:I think that it's called a Kote (at least what this wikipedia article describes sounds like it)

Meh, here i just spent minutes going through my books and you already said what i came up with! Ninjaposter you! :wink:

Anyway, yes, some variants of kote does sound like the right thing.

the kote for that are what I would describe as being gauntlets in English. (Which wouldn't be surprising if they're really based on samurai armor.)

Original kote are neither gloves nor gauntlets though, usually worn so that their extended side covers the upper of the hands, which are also wearing leather gloves to allow for dexterity. Kote would be fabric covered with ring mail and/or metal plates.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Vahn » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:10 pm

Thanks for the help guys! Ok I was able to narrow it down :D Sounds good enough!
Vahn
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Fic Research