Weakness moxibustion versus physics

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Re: Weakness moxibustion versus physics

Postby Té Rowan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:16 am

I think I can say without lying (much) that they use C, C++ and Python. C has even had a complex data type since 1999 or so, not to mention Linpack, Lapack and BLAS ported over. It's a mad, mad, world.
A government is the only known vessel that leaks from the top. (James Reston)
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:48 pm

Looking at the world through numbers is scary. O_O
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:05 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:Looking at the world through numbers is scary. O_O

It could be worse -- I could introduce infinities.

In Pensées, Pascal wrote:"The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me"
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:50 pm

Actually, I think I can take comfort in eternal silence. ^^;
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:12 pm

It could be worse -- I could introduce infinities.

Oh dear no. That´s when it gets amusing.

but in my case Latin was replaced by Fortran.

:D

I'm not sure what languages coders are using today, because that keeps changing.

Different variations of C, most recently C# seems to be the most, used. I wont call it popular exactly, as more and more software gets more and more bloated, instantly on release.

Not to mention how much more problematic the software becomes to mod. In the old days, all you needed was a hexeditor, nowadays, even if a gamemaker releases their own tools for the game, they´re so frickin complex that doing most interesting things takes ages. If you ever figure out how to do them in the first place that is.

Latin isn't quite as dead as one might think.

Well, REAL latin is long dead, while the official, stilted book-latin, frozen in time, still lives by means of medical assistance.
Still, latin is part of many languages to some extent or another so of course it´s still useful.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:59 pm

Spica75 wrote:Well, REAL latin is long dead, while the official, stilted book-latin, frozen in time, still lives by means of medical assistance.
Still, latin is part of many languages to some extent or another so of course it´s still useful.

Church Latin may also count, though strange things can happen to it when it is spoken by people of varying native language...
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spica75 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:02 am

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:Church Latin may also count, though strange things can happen to it when it is spoken by people of varying native language...

Included in my rather vague definition(or at least meant to be).
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:58 am

Spica75 wrote:... most recently C# seems to be the most, used. ...

Perhaps I'm being slightly unkind, but as far as I can tell, C# is pretty much C++ running on Microsoft's .NET abstraction layer.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:09 pm

Té Rowan wrote:Perhaps I'm being slightly unkind, but as far as I can tell, C# is pretty much C++ running on Microsoft's .NET abstraction layer.

Nope, you´re just being realistic. Unlike many of its users.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:17 am

I'm not exactly a fan of C in any form. Wirth-style languages just feel more accessible to me.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:22 am

This is another great advantage of Latin: it holds still. If you learned Latin long ago, it's still the same Latin today. Fortran cannot make that claim.

On the other hand, if you learn one programming language, learning an another one is easy. After that... It's mostly meh, peace of cake. Learning to work with specific libraries takes more effort that learning a programming language.

, C# is pretty much C++ running on Microsoft's .NET abstraction layer.

Yeech. :x Thankfully I did not have to deal with it.
I prefer writing Microsoft-independent software when I have a choice. :roll:
But! Programming languages of today are for Web! So, I'd say it's javascript (to make your browser tap-dance, a pretty good language that experienced a large performance boost lately) and php (it's complete crap, performance and memory efficiency are barely at 10%, but it wins by being utterly ubiquitous, like roaches)
C++, C# and Pascal are for installed applications (the ones that do not run in your browser). I prefer these, but I have to admit they are turning into a minority.

Wirth-style languages just feel more accessible to me.

Meh, it's mostly cosmetic difference.
When you really get under the hood, it turns out that C++ and pascal are practically the same thing, lol. I still rememberepic flamewars "C++ vs Delphi" of the early 2000s :roll:
When I feel nostalgic I write some pieces in assembly language.

Then these are such Lovecraftian horrors as djemscript (from a Web CMS) or TES CS scripting language (writing a Morrowind mod almost killed my brain). Or Wesnoth Markup Language... :(

Python

Oh God, no.
This controversial design decision leads to... Let's say, I'm not a masochist. I still laugh remembering that Facebook Developer Hack when the lecturer demonstrated a code written in Python. Well, he tried to. Spend a lot of tries and failed the demonstration, all because of a space that got mixed into one of the strings. When the difference between a tabulation and 4 spaces (cannot be discerned visually) leads to vastly different behavior of your code... Thanks, but no.

Truly, when someone tries to make a thing that even an idiot could use, then only an idiot will want to use it :/
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:44 am

Cheb wrote:On the other hand, if you learn one programming language, learning an another one is easy. After that... It's mostly meh, peace of cake. Learning to work with specific libraries takes more effort that learning a programming language.

Meh. I've programmed in Fortran, four different versions of Basic, three flavors of assembly language (IBM 704, Control Data 3100 and 1604), dabbles of LISP (which I detested) and so forth.

After a while, the process becomes tedious. So I quit. It no longer was my job, and it no longer was a fun hobby. I lost my appetite for pieces of cake.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:11 pm

I think this requires metaphysics. And you all have gone far off the topic.

If the Weakness Moxxibustion only works on people who have progressed far enough in the art to be capable of projecting Ki, then the point activates a field that reduces/opposes all force in impacts to nothing. So while the strength still exists no force can be applied against enemies in sufficient quantity to be more than just noticeable.

The point being it manifesting Ki to directly counter force at point of impact with other sources of Ki. So things with lower Ki could still be lifted like plants and stones but things with Living Ki have infinite weight/resistance because all force applied by the victim of the point are negated by their own Ki.

That is how I see it, but I took some time to figure out how to phrase it first. Sorry about taking so long, I'm kinda busy offline.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:31 pm

Spokavriel wrote: I think this requires metaphysics. And you all have gone far off the topic.

Oh, right, drag us back to the original subject. Party pooper!
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spica75 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:43 pm

On the other hand, if you learn one programming language, learning an another one is easy.

Definitely cannot agree. Sure, those that share commonalities a lot... But lets say Basic 2.0 to C#? That´s just gonna be weird and not really help out much knowing the former to learn the latter.

After that... It's mostly meh, peace of cake. Learning to work with specific libraries takes more effort that learning a programming language.

What libraries? :mrgreen: IIRC, none of the programming languages i have done anything real with has any "libraries". Which probably has some strange connection with why i suck with "current" languages...

but it wins by being utterly ubiquitous, like roaches)

:lol:

Not exactly an uncommon issue unfortunately.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Fic Research