Artificial ki

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Artificial ki

Postby toushin » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:32 am

I didn’t no weather to put this he or in anime but since I plan of using it I figure this would be the safer choice

A major plot point of the manga Veritas is the creation of artificial ki, or natural energy, which could be used to make people more powerful. Despite this however it is never actually expanded on besides stating that a character is using it. They never actually explained exactly how artificial ki is created. Does anyone have any ideas.
toushin
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: Artificial ki

Postby Maximara » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:42 pm

toushin wrote:I didn’t no weather to put this he or in anime but since I plan of using it I figure this would be the safer choice

A major plot point of the manga Veritas is the creation of artificial ki, or natural energy, which could be used to make people more powerful. Despite this however it is never actually expanded on besides stating that a character is using it. They never actually explained exactly how artificial ki is created. Does anyone have any ideas.

If we pull a page from 19th century science (provided in the RPS supplement GURPS Steampunk) ki is in essence Elan Vital. It was thought this Elan Vital could be produced artificially either via chemical means (Pasteur tried his hand at this for a while) or via a particular application of electricity (the basis of the novel Frankenstein).

Another idea I use in my Saotome Ranma, Wiseman fanfic is that ki obeys the first and second law of thermodynamics:
1) energy cannot be created or destroyed merely changed form one form to another
2) Energy moves from from high state (or concentration) to a low one.

Here places with lots of activity build up ki (sort of like a bucket being filled with water) and the same of true where a lot of death happened (such battlefields). Here artificial ki would be produced by transforming this latent ki into ki a person could use.
Maximara
Senshi Cadet

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:51 pm

But latent or ambient Ki was still produced by actual once living things... it is not truly artificial.

Kazakiri Kyoko would probably be a excellent example, she is made up of all the latent AIM fields inside academy city in the Index and railgun series. She herself does not make any, despite being an independent entity. She uses it or more accurately exists off it, but it still had to be produced.

I imagine cloned matter tanks (as opposed to actual fully realized clone beings) Would be one way of creating artificial Ki. but even then it is generated.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Maximara » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:34 pm

PCHeintz72 wrote:But latent or ambient Ki was still produced by actual once living things... it is not truly artificial.

Kazakiri Kyoko would probably be a excellent example, she is made up of all the latent AIM fields inside academy city in the Index and railgun series. She herself does not make any, despite being an independent entity. She uses it or more accurately exists off it, but it still had to be produced.

I imagine cloned matter tanks (as opposed to actual fully realized clone beings) Would be one way of creating artificial Ki. but even then it is generated.

Artificial simply means made or produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally. Artificial wood made from sawdust and glue still started out as a tree for example.

I don't get too hung up on words especially when they are translations from other languages as something is generally lost in the translation. The word "kami" is often translated as "god" or "deity" and the same is true of the Roman word "numen" but that is not how they are always used in their native languages. Kami can also mean awe inspiring, mind, or soul. Numen was also used regarding the Roman Emperor in reference to his role as a guardian-spirit, or his "divine will" --it didn't mean he was actually worshiped as a god.
Maximara
Senshi Cadet

Postby PCHeintz72 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:43 am

Shrugs... I took artificial as literal. No matter.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Maximara » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:31 am

PCHeintz72 wrote:Shrugs... I took artificial as literal. No matter.

Outside of mental constructs EVERYTHING artificial started out as natural material. :mrgreen:
Maximara
Senshi Cadet

Return to Fic Research