Adding sound tracks to fics

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Adding sound tracks to fics

Postby Vahn » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:50 pm

I seen it before and sometime when I write I listen to music that I think match a scene. However what is the general consensus of doing such a thing , does it interrupt the flow or does it add to the fic?
Vahn
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: Adding sound tracks to fics

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:06 pm

Vahn wrote:I seen it before and sometime when I write I listen to music that I think match a scene. However what is the general consensus of doing such a thing , does it interrupt the flow or does it add to the fic?

Some sites actually have song fics against the rules.

Myself, I do not mind them being mentioned, but generally do not care for the story being written around them.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:54 am

I don't think the OP means songfics. I was assuming he meant more like just putting the name of a song at the header of a scene change.
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:40 am

Vahn wrote:I seen it before and sometime when I write I listen to music that I think match a scene. However what is the general consensus of doing such a thing , does it interrupt the flow or does it add to the fic?

Mostly not worth much. A rare few times i´ve read a fic where it definitely adds something good.
Too often if written as part of the story, it distracts in a bad way.

If you just add the name of the tune at the beginning or end, there is at least no real negative side to it, and it becomes an optional extra for those that read. So if you want to do it, unless you have a really good way of adding the text as part of the story text, this is how i would suggest you do it.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby digitalzombie » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:54 am

It would be nostalgic to me. During the early 90s there were a few fanfiction with songs, a Street Fighter one was aweeeesome song.

I mean worst case they can just stop the song.

I thiiiink Long Ngo, One Shot Wong and Donny Cheng had songs too. It's been a while.

edit:

I think it would add to the fic really.
digitalzombie
Senshi Candidate

Postby Vahn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:51 pm

I see , yeah wasn't making a song fic just like i noticed some fic have ost:tract here in it and sometime I listen to it sometime I don't. Wondering if that is a bother or enhances it. XD Thanks for the feedbacks
Vahn
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:18 pm

Vahn wrote:I see , yeah wasn't making a song fic just like i noticed some fic have ost:tract here in it and sometime I listen to it sometime I don't. Wondering if that is a bother or enhances it. XD Thanks for the feedbacks

In that case, as was said, merely mentioning them should not be an issue, people can make the decision to look them up or play while reading to their hearts content or not...

Not sure about actually listing them in line in the story, but a reference at the top or bottom of the chapter should pose no issue.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:48 am

like just putting the name of a song at the header of a scene change.

Mostly useless. There are so many songs out there that finding the one mentioned is usually a chore.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Return to Fic Research