Shinto Gods Raijin and Fujin

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Shinto Gods Raijin and Fujin

Postby XofderXofder » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:19 pm

I've tried doing a bit of research on these two for an idea that I have but the pages on Wikipedia are a bit lacking, especially with Fujin, and I'm not exactly sure where to start looking for info.

I was wondering if there's any nifty little myths and legends surrounding them. I know about the belly button one with respect to Raijin and how he was feasting on Izanmi's rotten corpse in Yomi and how he was sent after Izangi when he looked upon Izanmi's hellish form because of her shame of her degraded state. I know that Fujin has a bag of winds but that's about it. I know about Raijin's drums too and about Raijuu.

Other than that I got nothing. Things like the belly button legend would be useful if you know of any. Personality traits would be good to, if there are any that is.

Also would anyone happen to know if there has been any incident where a mortal has been to Heaven or Niflheim and not been dead or a spirit in the AMG manga or anime?

If you know anything it'd be great, thanks.
You can only look up when you notice you've been looking down.
XofderXofder
Senshi Cadet

Re: Shinto Gods Raijin and Fujin

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:23 pm

As far as I can remember, in regard to myths, both Raijin and Fuujin were considered evil, the equivalent of demons (oni). To be more accurate, they opposed the gods/Buddha. After a battle with Buddha and/or his fellow deities, they were captured and henceforth (for whatever reason) changed their ways and joined the heavenly retinue.

If I remember correctly, the Shinto versions in question are based on/inspired by both Buddhist and Hindu deities (I forget their names). Fuujin, in particular, was influenced by the Greek god Boreas, I believe.

Edit: I did a little search for those names, and came up with this. It has some information on Fuujin's associations in his Hindu and Buddhist aspects.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby XofderXofder » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:34 am

Thanks, especially for the link. Has a nice bit of info on other deities too.

As far as I can remember, in regard to myths, both Raijin and Fuujin were considered evil, the equivalent of demons (oni). To be more accurate, they opposed the gods/Buddha. After a battle with Buddha and/or his fellow deities, they were captured and henceforth (for whatever reason) changed their ways and joined the heavenly retinue.

I thought that was the case with Raijin at least but I didn't know about Fujin. (I think I read it in a fanfiction somewhere but I wasn't sure how reliable it was).
You can only look up when you notice you've been looking down.
XofderXofder
Senshi Cadet

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:01 am

Yeah, Fuujin was involved with that, too. They seem to be two peas in a pod. I've also seen that be the case in a few anime and manga, where the two (as deities, or someone representing them or their power) are paired together.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:51 am

There may be something on Sacred Texts dot-com, but I really don't know.
"You can not treat a car like a human! A car needs love!" (W. Röhrl)
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Fic Research